Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
codrutoctavian
Enthusiast
codrutoctavian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
foxit eslick

I am a user of pdf files. I have a large collection of e-books in pdf format. Reading them on LCD displays is not very convenient. When E-ink displays and Kindle become available I saw immediately the potential. Unfortunately the price tag for these devices is still high to become a really mass phenomena. Anyway... I just discovered that there is cheap e-reader called Eslick from the Foxit Software company. Anyone can describe the use of this device with pdf files?

Please notice: I am really not interested in the exotic features of Kindle or Sony PRS-505 as they are actually not sold in my country and I really don't need Wi-Fi for the time being in such a device.

All I am interested if other users of eslick are satisfied with the pdf usage performance. How is the display compared to the biggest players (Kindle 2 and Sony PRS-505)? Does the pdf reflow feature works well?

Thanks,
Codrut
codrutoctavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:33 AM   #2
911boy
911boy began at the beginning.

Device: Foxit eSlick
I just got my eSlick. Pretty good.

There is one Facebook fans group for eSlick. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=116009386362
911boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
kampang
kampang began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cybook Opus (250 euro) is much cheaper compared to Foxit eSlick (299 euro) :

http://shop.totalereaders.com

They can deliver to Europe, but I don't have any experience with it (in fact I dont own any device ... yet).
kampang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:31 AM   #4
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
OK, but on their site they say that it costs $ 260 (< 190 euro).
Personally, I bought a PRS 505 on ebay at 220 euro, shipping included, with all the risk that this involves (practically, no warranty or service).
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:49 AM   #5
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by codrutoctavian View Post
I am a user of pdf files.

All I am interested if other users of eslick are satisfied with the pdf usage performance. How is the display compared to the biggest players (Kindle 2 and Sony PRS-505)? Does the pdf reflow feature works well?
Reading pdf's on a small screen is not too fun unless the device can reflow/repage the text to fit on the small screen. There are two issues here:

1) Can your source material be reflown? It both depends on the original form of the source, and on the use/importance of graphics in the original text. You'll have the most luck if the files are mostly text and they are reflowable.

2) Does the device support a reflowable pdf? I believe the eslick uses foxit's own pdf reader (which I love and use on my PC). However, I've heard that only Adobe's pdf reader supports reflow. I don't know if this is true since foxit has pretty good pdf tech they may also be able to do this, but you need to check it out.

Addition to the reflow issue is the DRM issue. Most current/new books require some type of DRM support. What kind of DRM can the eslick support? Or, you will need to be comfortable buying/acquiring other formats, possibly stripping DRM and converting to pdf.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2009, 06:12 AM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Reading pdf's on a small screen is not too fun unless the device can reflow/repage the text to fit on the small screen. There are two issues here:

1) Can your source material be reflown? It both depends on the original form of the source, and on the use/importance of graphics in the original text. You'll have the most luck if the files are mostly text and they are reflowable.

2) Does the device support a reflowable pdf? I believe the eslick uses foxit's own pdf reader (which I love and use on my PC). However, I've heard that only Adobe's pdf reader supports reflow. I don't know if this is true since foxit has pretty good pdf tech they may also be able to do this, but you need to check it out.

Addition to the reflow issue is the DRM issue. Most current/new books require some type of DRM support. What kind of DRM can the eslick support? Or, you will need to be comfortable buying/acquiring other formats, possibly stripping DRM and converting to pdf.
Reflow: Based on http://computershopper.com/periphera...s/foxit-eslick ESlick DOES reflow.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:36 AM   #7
codrutoctavian
Enthusiast
codrutoctavian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Reflow: Based on http://computershopper.com/periphera...s/foxit-eslick ESlick DOES reflow.
There's obviously no perfect e-reader. And this technology is evolving, probably in a couple of year we will have much more capable devices (touch screen, better support for various formats and why not even color screens) . But as of now, I think Foxit ESlick is the perfect choice for me (the cheapest yet capable of reading PDFs well). Thanks to anyone for the advice.
codrutoctavian is offline   Reply With Quote