Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
K2 Screensaver?

Has anyone tried changing the screensaver pictures as we could do on K1?
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Nope...

OK - I tried to follow the old instructions (reprinted below) and it did not work.

I was able to create the Pictures and screensaver folder, and copy my old screensaver photos (used on my K1) as before. I then pressed "alt-z" and it did create a book - but at the beginning of the home list, not at the end as before.

Then things got really crazy. Instead of a battery indicator at the bottom - I had a line of info at the top. Pressing alt-F did take me to full screen mode - but the picture resized with a weird gap on the right and bottom. Pressing alt-shift-0 basically froze up my screen. It did not give me a dialogue or anything.

Looks like we need to find some new answers...

Here's how to do your own... I didn't discover this, just re-posting for your convenience:

1. Attach the Kindle to a computer using the USB cord.
2. Using Windows Explorer (or whatever you use to see individual files/folders) , you should see a new drive called Kindle under My Computer. Go to that drive. (Or if you have an SD card in your Kindle, you can go to the SD drive.)
3. Create a new folder called “pictures” and a subfolder called “screensavers” under it. Make sure both folder names are all lowercase.
4. Copy your image files into the screensavers folder. Your pictures should be 600×800 pixels and black & white. I’ve only used .jpg files. [[Note: I've used .png files as well]]
5. After copying is complete & it is safe, remove the Kindle from the USB connection.
6. Go to your Home menu and press alt-z. This will create a new book called “screensavers” . Open it. You’ll see each of your pictures. You can advance through them with the prev. page and next page buttons. [[Note: The new book will appear at the END of your book list]]
7. While viewing your pictures, look at the bottom of the Kindle screen. If you see your battery indicator & Menu prompt, press alt-F to go into Full Screen mode.
8. On each photo, press alt-shift-0 (i.e., alt-shift-zero) . After a brief delay, you’ll get a message that your picture has been exported as screensaver. Click Close on the message.
9. Navigate to each of the pictures you want to use and repeat the above step.
10. When you’ve got all your pictures loaded, test them by going into & out of sleep mode. Alt-aA (i.e., alt-font size button) puts it to sleep & wakes it up again. Each time it sleeps, it should use a different image. If you see the same image all the time, relook at Step 3.

If you want to get rid of your custom screen savers, follow these steps:

1. Attach the Kindle to a computer using the USB cord.
2. Using Windows Explorer (or whatever you use to see individual files/folders) , go to your Kindle drive under My Computer.
3. If you see a folder called system, skip this step. If you don’t see the system folder, click on the Tools menu & then Folder Options. Go to the View tab, and look at the Advanced Settings. Under Hidden Files and Folders, select Show Hidden Files and Folders. Click Apply, then OK. You should now see a system folder.
4. Under the system folder, you’ll see a screen_saver folder. Delete all the files that are in that folder.
5. After you disconnect from the USB, you may see your last custom screensaver one more time, but after that it will revert back to the pre-loaded Kindle screensaver images.
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
could be the first Kindle II bug
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
Not really a "bug", just things have changed a bit and we have to find out how to work around them...
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
I think there is no custom screensaver... it's never a feature listed in Kindle User Guide right?
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
I think there is no custom screensaver... it's never a feature listed in Kindle User Guide right?
It was always a hack, but I'm confident that someone will figure out a new hack.
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #7
Octochick
Zealot
Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I would like them to hurry up and hack this cause I really prefer my own SS. They only included a few on this one and they are some of the ugliest. (Sorry Oscar) I also tried the old way and not can do... I also tried hitting alt shift s and a few other combos. If you click the menu while viewing it gives you many options, how hard would it be to have "Save as Screensaver"?
This may need to be a software update we must beg for.
Octochick is offline   Reply With Quote