Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-16-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The Last Mile

I'm nearing the end of my longest and deepest project to date. It's been a great experience thus far. I've broken a lot of new ground and even surprised myself a few times. Finishing it off has been slow, even painful now and again. Based on my progress, I expected to be finished weeks ago.

Other causes aside, I may have engaged in some self-sabotage because I don't want to finish, in part because the experience has been fantastic, and in part because a fast approaching stage of the project's development involves a lot of very intimidating non-writing activities.

I'm not really seeking help, this isn't exactly a err, novel problem. It's like anything else, a little creativity and a lot of determination go a long way. I'm just hoping to relate a little, just working the program. Hi, my name is David, I'm a writer.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Good Luck David!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
As they say in the programing world, the last 10% of a project is 90% of the work!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I don't know what your plans are, whether you're going to try submitting to trad publishers or go indy for your "non-writing activities" but if you go indy, it's not as intimidating as it sounds to self-publish. Of course, the marketing once you've hit the publish button can be pretty terrifying in itself.

whatever you choose, the best of luck to you, David!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post

Other causes aside, I may have engaged in some self-sabotage because I don't want to finish, in part because the experience has been fantastic,
That's what sequels are for.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you all for your kind and/or wise words.

I've had an amazing day already, both in quality and quantity, and it isn't over yet. I feel like I'm in a completely different place now. This post wasn't my only trick for rebooting gray matter, but I do think it helped. Some mental blocks seem to relish the darkness and melt in sunlight (just like cats ).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	h8C3FC3D0.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	113499  
Old 10-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Or get a dog. ( In answer to the image.)

A few months ago I finished the first draft of the conclusion to my series. It was very intimidating, I really want the reader to feel as if the journey getting to that point was worth the effort. The constant questions to yourself about whether you've done enough, or too much. Now, months later, I'm still deep into the awful non-writing stuff. It's gotten too much for me, so I've taken some time now to follow what was a short story idea, but it's growing ... and it's also rather disturbing, one of those pieces where you wonder where it's come from and whether you should be getting worried, maybe phoning a shrink. If this gets too much perhaps I'll fell better about going back to work on polishing the completed book.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Demons, it's all about demons.

...and muses....

I'm deep in an edit of my current project this week as well...hope to get through this edit by end of the week....probably will need at least one more after another break from it...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #9
Marseille
Guru

@kenny, I like to call the demons 'gremlins' (in the machine). Lots of moving parts in the brain. Good luck with the editing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Or get a dog. ( In answer to the image.)
I can't ignore the big sad puppy eyes or the 'play with me' whimpers, though most of the dog people I know can. Seems backwards somehow. All you have to do to get a cat to leave you alone and go hibernate for a month is pretend you're excited to see it.
Quote:
Now, months later, I'm still deep into the awful non-writing stuff. It's gotten too much for me, so I've taken some time now to follow what was a short story idea, but it's growing ... and it's also rather disturbing, one of those pieces where you wonder where it's come from and whether you should be getting worried, maybe phoning a shrink. If this gets too much perhaps I'll fell better about going back to work on polishing the completed book.
Sounds like you have a very clever subconscious. Or a really scary alternate personality, but hey, you use whatever you've got.