Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
BigAlien
BigAlien began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Smashwords ePub on iPad

Hi there, nice to meet you all (first post and all that)!
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I couldn't find anything.

I'm having a weird problem trying to get my novel to appear properly in iBooks on my iPad after I've uploaded it to Smashwords. The formatting on every page is fine except on the first 2 pages - the title page and the dedication page. Instead of centring the text it's all left justified (apart from a hyperlink to Smashwords, bizarrely enough).
The thing that's really throwing me is that the formatting appears to be fine in iBooks on my iPhone and when I check on the Adobe Digital Editions reader on my PC.

I've reformatted it many, many times (oh, so very many), I'm using exactly the same styles as I've used elsewhere in the book where they display with no problems. I'm completely stumped.

If you want to see what I mean, this is it:
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/99280
Use the coupon code CM23Y to get it free unless you really want to pay for it (I don't mind, honest!)

Any ideas, no matter how outlandish, would be very welcome!
BigAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There's no easy way to fix this. In fact, there may be no way to fix this. It's an iBooks issue. iBooks is non-standard and can do some odd things with ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
In Liz Castro's Epub Straight to the Point (at her blog) she mentions this bug and suggests enclosing the text of the <p>...</p> within <span>...</span> -- so you end up with <p><span>...</span></p> -- ugly, but it's a bug. It's not clear to me whether the text-alignment goes with the <p> or the <span> though, so you may have to experiment. Buy the book and the extras, they are well worth it.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:28 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Yes, it can be solved if you are able to tune the ePUB. But, with SmashWords you are not able to.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:20 AM   #5
BigAlien
BigAlien began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Thanks for the help, guys!
It's reassuring to know it's not just me screwing up but frustrating that I spent so long fighting with it.
Guess I'll just have to grit my teeth and live with it.
BigAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
epub, ibooks, ipad, smashwords