Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #61
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If bugs, new features, new versions of the software are to be put out there, chances are they'll be in the newest versions of the devices. So I'm all for waiting and seeing. Sure, they look good and sound like they may be good, but without actual usage, are they that good? This is why I'm all for waiting and seeing.

What if you bought a nook and not long after found out that Kobo is better or that you bought a Kobo and changed your mind for a nook? Or you saw new a Sony you'd rather have or maybe Amazon got touch and ePub and did away with the keyboard and you wanted that?

Do you really want to rush in and buy something now with little to know information on the device only to find maybe you made a mistake? Let's stop and think for a moment. If you already have a reader, is it working? If yes, why do you have to then rush and get a replacement or a second reader without enough information? What is the reasoning behind jumping in with a blindfold on?

It's one thing if you don't have a reader, but if you do, it's silly to replace it with one you might not be happy with.
Who? Me?

I'm not sure who you're responding to with your passionate post, but I agree it's better to wait and see, and quite frankly I think it's silly to proclaim that Sony Readers will still be superior compared to the upcoming Nook and Kobo models, based on our knowledge of the current Nook and Kobo models. Then again, I think it's equally silly to proclaim that Sony is going to be ground into dust by the proposed new functionalities and other qualities of these upcoming models. Can't really discuss constructively unknown tech specs and usability. What I don't think is so silly to discuss are other factors that might affect the competitiveness of the current Sony Readers, such as availability and cost, and which people have brought up in this thread just as much.

Also, it's possible to want, even covet something yet not actually choose to get it in the end. It's also possible to own multiple ereaders.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #62
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
If bugs, new features, new versions of the software are to be put out there, chances are they'll be in the newest versions of the devices. So I'm all for waiting and seeing. Sure, they look good and sound like they may be good, but without actual usage, are they that good? This is why I'm all for waiting and seeing.

What if you bought a nook and not long after found out that Kobo is better or that you bought a Kobo and changed your mind for a nook? Or you saw new a Sony you'd rather have or maybe Amazon got touch and ePub and did away with the keyboard and you wanted that?

Do you really want to rush in and buy something now with little to know information on the device only to find maybe you made a mistake? Let's stop and think for a moment. If you already have a reader, is it working? If yes, why do you have to then rush and get a replacement or a second reader without enough information? What is the reasoning behind jumping in with a blindfold on?

It's one thing if you don't have a reader, but if you do, it's silly to replace it with one you might not be happy with.
What I'd like to know from you, JSWolf, is what all you are talking about is to wait before buying a Kobo or a Nook is done in a thread whose topic is: Will Kobo, Nook and Amazon Touch kill Sony?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
Who? Me?

I'm not sure who you're responding to with your passionate post, but I agree it's better to wait and see, and quite frankly I think it's silly to proclaim that Sony Readers will still be superior compared to the upcoming Nook and Kobo models, based on our knowledge of the current Nook and Kobo models. Then again, I think it's equally silly to proclaim that Sony is going to be ground into dust by the proposed new functionality and other qualities of these upcoming models. Can't really discuss constructively unknown tech specs and usability. What I don't think is so silly to discuss are other factors that might affect the competitiveness of the current Sony Readers, such as availability and cost, and which people have brought up in this thread just as much.

Also, it's possible to want, even covet something yet not actually choose to get it in the end. It's also possible to own multiple ereaders.
We just don't have enough information on the new touch readers to say which is better and which isn't. For all we know, Sony could make a new reader that's better and priced closer to the others. Who knows? We don't. I have a 650. Did I pay too much. No. When I bought my 650, I got it with a free light cover so overall that drops the price down. At the time I got the 650, it was the best 6" reader available.

Now as to what's better, no idea. wifi without a browser is not all that useful as I prefer to fix up my ePub so it looks good to me. So buying and then reading is not for me. If I get an ePub that's one of those eReader looking ePub, I just can't read it until it's fixed. Overall, what we know of the new readers is more of side features when how the actual reading software is. That is more important then reading stats or social networking.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:43 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
What I'd like to know from you, JSWolf, is what all you are talking about is to wait before buying a Kobo or a Nook is done in a thread whose topic is: Will Kobo, Nook and Amazon Touch kill Sony?
Sony has a reader. It's the 650. It works. It works well. The interface is well done. ADE on it works well too.

Now, waiting is what will help Sony. If there is problems/issues with the software on the nook & Kobo, then Sony will be out front just due to having good software. When the Kobo first came out, I was thinking of maybe getting one for my mother-in-law. But I didn't because the software on it was buggy and still is.

Has Kobo learned from this and made sure ADE on the new touch is not buggy? Can't say until we see them in the wild. Has B&N used a newer ADE and introduced new bugs? No idea. Again it has to be in the wild. Sony doesn't have these sort of bugs. In fact, ADE for the 505 was one of the most stable versions of ADE when ADE first came out for readers beyond Sony. Sony has good software on it's side for one thing. We can't say the others do yet.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #65
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
I prefer to fix up my ePub so it looks good to me. So buying and then reading is not for me. If I get an ePub that's one of those eReader looking ePub, I just can't read it until it's fixed.
Actually, the point above is something that COULD sway me toward another reader eventually. I do the same: I can't read an epub until I've "fixed it up." But I don't do the fixing up for fun and sport, I would rather not do it at all. There's no reason that a) an epub shouldn't look great on the reader in the first place and b) I can't change fonts, sizes, margins, indents, line spacing, etc. on the reader. If a reader comes out that does those things, I might switch.

Of the two new readers announced, one has more fonts, and the other has more sizes. So who knows. And yes, Sony could do all of the above in a new model of reader, but let's face it, their track record on software is not very good. They have been much more of a leader/innovator/all-around great in the hardware department.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #66
mcrow24
Connoisseur
mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle,Augen "The book", Nook
Quote:
Sony did it first. If Sony didn't do it, would the others have done it? Probably not.
That's illogical. #1 it wasn't the only touch technology around. #2 maybe the others made a bit for it and didn't get it. #3- there could have been an exclusive rights agreement with Sony.

Did you notice all of the readers that came out all at one time with this technology? Could have been that the agreement expired.

Maybe Neonode wouldn't have been the company, but I think a similar technology would have been used eventually.
mcrow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #67
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Actually, the point above is something that COULD sway me toward another reader eventually. I do the same: I can't read an epub until I've "fixed it up." But I don't do the fixing up for fun and sport, I would rather not do it at all. There's no reason that a) an epub shouldn't look great on the reader in the first place and b) I can't change fonts, sizes, margins, indents, line spacing, etc. on the reader. If a reader comes out that does those things, I might switch. ...
+1

Quote:
Of the two new readers announced, one has more fonts, and the other has more sizes. So who knows. And yes, Sony could do all of the above in a new model of reader, but let's face it, their track record on software is not very good. They have been much more of a leader/innovator/all-around great in the hardware department.

eP
I think the Nook Touch (if it is like the Nook and Nook color) will have some customization (margins, spacing, ...).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #68
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
I've owned the 505, 600, 900, 350, 650 and 950. Did I mention I love the Sony Readers? Borrowing library ebooks has always been a major draw for me. The lack thereof knocked Amazon out of the box. Touch navigation will always beat out keyboard and a button to move a cursor.

Amazon, on the other hand, could probably give readers away for free with all the money they make on ebook sales. B&N and Borders are trying hard to sell ebooks. Sony seems to me to be a laggard in sales of ebooks. Their devices are spectacular, but don't compete well on price. I don't know how much they make on ebook sales.

With the new Kobo and Nook, if I needed a new 6" reader with a touch screen, I'd opt for the Kobo rather than a Sony 50% more expensive.

Sorry Sony. You were the leader of the pack. I will always love your devices. Your business model just didn't work against others who didn't need to make money on the reader.
I think that regular users do not have enough information yet to take a firm decision. But based on what's online, it looks like the basic touchscreen functionality has been successfully implemented on both; the difference is that the Kobo or B&N are way cheaper.

I would expect a serious drop in price from Sony. It does not matter how good a device is. If people believe or think they can get something cheaper and similar, they will and for sure will also affect Sony's sales. It happened to Amazon and Kindles as well.

In USA, I would expect a big "price war" between most important companies and devices, like Sony and Amazon. I also have the feeling, Amazon will release a new device soon, eink or LCD, but sounds like that's about to happen.

Last edited by jocampo; 05-26-2011 at 02:54 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What I would like for epub is a better default font and no margins at all with user customizable margins from there as well as more font size choices and line spacing choices. That would do very well. User fonts would help as well. Just chose which font for serif, sans-serif, & monospace and let the ePub just specify the type and we specify which one unless the ePub needs specific fonts.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #70
Nanopr
Connoisseur
Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch
I have spent the last couple of days comparing features and customer experience for the sony prs600 (which I own), the Kobo Touch and the Nook Touch. Features being the device specific features; customer experience being items such as multi platform options (PC, iPad, Iphone, Android, etc.), store usability, etc.

I love my Sony, but in my opinion I would say Sony just fell far behind in the 6" e-ink market. I was thinking of upgrading to the 650. I'm now seriously looking at the Nook as my replacement. The Kobo/Borders online store experience, mediocre at best, has discouraged my seriously considering the Kobo Touch.
Nanopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #71
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I have to express my feeling - that grows every time I read about someone having problems with the company, or their apparent unwillingness to listen to customers - that the main thing that's killing Sony is ...... Sony.

But, I can only pray rumours of their demise are like Mark Twain's quote.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #72
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Cybook 3. gen, Sony T1, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I have to express my feeling - that grows every time I read about someone having problems with the company, or their apparent unwillingness to listen to customers - that the main thing that's killing Sony is ...... Sony.
Unfortunately thats too true of many of Sony's niche products.
Fabulous product, cutting edge tech. But zero follow up.

They dont really have many places to go from where they already are, in terms of improving their product. it's a wonder to me they aren't doing their darned best to make sure their reader is as widely available as possible.

I really think Amazon is going to be the strongest brand going forward, simply due to their ability to raise awareness. Almost everyone knows what a kindle is.
Leyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #73
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyor View Post
I really think Amazon is going to be the strongest brand going forward, simply due to their ability to raise awareness. Almost everyone knows what a kindle is.
Kindle is the Kleenex of eReaders.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #74
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Kindle is the Kleenex of eReaders.
Means? ...

I am assuming your comment is against Kindle, not in favor. If I'm mistaken, apologies. But Kindle 3 is a great eink reader. It integrates very well with Amazon online bookstore, offering a total and unique experience.

For the records, I like Sony ereaders but I think their prices are absolutely and ridiculously high!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #75
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Means? ...

I am assuming your comment is against Kindle, not in favor. If I'm mistaken, apologies. But Kindle 3 is a great eink reader. It integrates very well with Amazon online bookstore, offering a total and unique experience.

For the records, I like Sony ereaders but I think their prices are absolutely and ridiculously high!
Not in any way a comment in favor or against the Kindle. It is a fine family of ereaders, and everyone who owns one should be very satisfied for a good purchase.

My comment was on the generacized trademark that the Kindle has become.

Everywhere I go with my Sony 650, the first thing people ask is "How do you like your Kindle?"
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote