Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
conversion stress test

I've decided to try to move to Epub, so I need to convert my ebook library. The bad news is that I have over 1k ebooks in Mobipocket. The good news is that I can stress test calibre.

The first test uses 133 LIT ebooks I downloaded from Fifth Imperium (don't worry, I already bought all of them). Calibre is currently attempting a bulk conversion of all 133 ebooks. Let's see what happens.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Actually, wait a couple of days. I just found and fixed a nasty bug that could cause random crashes. I'll be making a new release in a copule of days, so hold off until then.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll keep that in mind for the next attempt. The current one has already started.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yea! Epub!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I've decided to try to move to Epub, so I need to convert my ebook library. The bad news is that I have over 1k ebooks in Mobipocket. The good news is that I can stress test calibre.

The first test uses 133 LIT ebooks I downloaded from Fifth Imperium (don't worry, I already bought all of them). Calibre is currently attempting a bulk conversion of all 133 ebooks. Let's see what happens.
That went well. 133 files were converted in less than 2 hours. CPU was at 100%, but my other system resources never got above 50%.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:46 AM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Very Cool. Thanks for the report Nate. And good luck with it! I do think (despite it's niggles) that Epub is the future.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I just converted 202 LIT ebooks from Fictionwise. The conversion went much faster this time (just over an hour), but that was because most of the files were short stories.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Next test

This one will cover 369 ebooks (Epub to Mobi). It started at 4:52 (timestamp -5 minutes).

On a related note, why can't I output to PRC? Not all of my devices accept the Mobi suffix.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
On a related note, why can't I output to PRC? Not all of my devices accept the Mobi suffix.
Not an answer really and it would take an extra step, but you could use something like Extension Renamer to change them to .prc in bulk (it does subdirectories to if you tell it too).
http://www.brothersoft.com/extension...oad-41537.html
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Because I want people to stop using PRC.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #11
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Good enough reason.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Unless you are going to rewrite the old versions of MobiReader the chance of that happening range from diddly to squat.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #13
kennyc

Quote: