Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #661
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
@ manara - You've probably just been unlucky with the dead/stuck pixels (and very unlucky with the cracked screen), and you could order a Paperwhite to give it a try, but there's no guarantee you won't have similar issues. It is good that you've had no problems with returning your Aura, as concerns about this were one of the reasons I opted for the Paperwhite over it. Incidentally, I ordered two PW's before settling on one I was happy with.

IMHO, the fact that both the Aura and the PW use the same kind of 'advanced' technology (a capacitive touch screen and front-lit), sell them at a very competitive price, and both have had some quality control issues is not a coincidence. Although Amazon have improved it slightly from the original PW1 to the 2013 PW2, it seems combining the capacitive touch screen and front-lit tech and getting a consistent result is a little more difficult that the older infra-red touch screen & front lit.

Personally, after four attempts I'd give up and consider another option. You could order a PW and give it one chance, and if you don't get a good one, return it for a refund. Or maybe even try the slightly older Kobo Glo if you are happy enough with Kobo/WH Smith. Or settle for a Kobo Touch (on offer at £30) without the built-in light and consider it a stop-gap for a newer, improved version of the Aura in another year or so.

Edited to add: forgot to say about the screen damage, all ereader screens are pretty fragile, you might not have dropped it but did you carry it in a bag and perhaps something else in your bag was nudged against the screen? It's sometimes pressure like this that causes the damage, and then the slightest bump (even laying it down on a table) will be enough for the crack to appear.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 01-06-2014 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Forgot to include comment about screen damage
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:35 AM   #662
manara
manara began at the beginning.

Device: None
@l_macd – Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

That's good to know.

I'm going to take a couple of days and have a think. That £30 offer is definitely worth considering.

I have a couple of books on the go at the moment, so have until those start running out to make the decision.

I'll respond as and when to update my experience if I go back to Kobo.
manara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:39 AM   #663
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Just ordered mine, and case. Wife won't be too pleased when she sees the 15,000 yen bill.
I do intend to do quite a bit of reading this year, so I'm quite looking forward to it.

Been reading the comments. What, pray, are these "pinholes" everyone is talking about?
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:32 AM   #664
user38
Enthusiast
user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Sony PRS T1
manara
I have had a Kobo Aura for a couple of weeks and I am very happy with it. I have been reading the Kobo threads for a couple of weeks and I haven't noticed that stuck pixels is a particular issue with the Kobo Aura. I know that stuck pixels were an issue in the early days of LCD screens but I understand it is extremely uncommon now.

As for the "cracked" screen, that happened to one of my Sony ereaders. I took it back to the shop and they told me it is not necessarily the result of an impact. It results from localized pressure on the screen (that is, if the reader was on a table and someone leaned on it). It could happen to any reader.

I can understand why you might have gone off Kobo readers but your unfortunate problems are not specific to any particular brand of ereader.

Stephen
user38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:46 AM   #665
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dalliard View Post
Been reading the comments. What, pray, are these "pinholes" everyone is talking about?
There are some photos of pinholes earlier in the thread - essentially they are very small bright dots in the screen.

I can't see any on mine, and some of the photos they're hard to spot unless you know they're there. They are probably easier to see when you're reading on the device.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #666
manara
manara began at the beginning.

Device: None
@user38 –

Thanks Stephen.

That's good to know.

I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and give the Kobo another go I think.
manara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #667
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dalliard View Post
Just ordered mine, and case. Wife won't be too pleased when she sees the 15,000 yen bill.
I do intend to do quite a bit of reading this year, so I'm quite looking forward to it.

It was suggested by a forum member who is more technically adequate than I am, that what the forum calls "pinholes" are the result of microscopic bits of dust that are trapped under the glass or between the layers making up the substrate in an eReader screen. Apparently the light shines on them making them glow. Unless they are quite large they disappear when viewed without the light turned on or sometimes simply by setting the eReader to a lower brightness level.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:20 AM   #668
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have three 'pin holes' on my Aura that are noticeable with the light on, all at around 75% brightness or above, one in particular is always visible but I have them all on the outskirts of the text so I just class them as a 'feature'!
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #669
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Bumping this up in anticipation of the one I have on the way! Can't wait to share my impressions!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #670
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Bumping this up in anticipation of the one I have on the way! Can't wait to share my impressions!
that makes it two of us :-)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #671
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
that makes it two of us :-)
You haven't decided to get one, have you?

I'm particularly interested in comparing it to my Aura HD and Glo. Have to wait a week or so, since it's coming from Canada.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:53 AM   #672
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You haven't decided to get one, have you?

I'm particularly interested in comparing it to my Aura HD and Glo. Have to wait a week or so, since it's coming from Canada.
yes indeed - the Mini was discounted in the UK (possibly still is), but unavailable online. So we went to a shop, which had a Mini, but at the ful £60. Next to it a Glo at 90 and an Aura at £110. My husband, new to Kobo, decided that the Aura was not worth the extra £20 and got a Glo. I went home empty handed, but after a couple of days ordered an Aura, which should reach me next Wednesday. So no Aura HD to compare it to, but a glo and a Mini.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:36 AM   #673
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
yes indeed - the Mini was discounted in the UK (possibly still is), but unavailable online. So we went to a shop, which had a Mini, but at the ful £60. Next to it a Glo at 90 and an Aura at £110. My husband, new to Kobo, decided that the Aura was not worth the extra £20 and got a Glo. I went home empty handed, but after a couple of days ordered an Aura, which should reach me next Wednesday. So no Aura HD to compare it to, but a glo and a Mini.
That is awesome! You'll get yours first. So I'm looking forward to your comparisons.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #674
paola
Wizard

Quote:
That is awesome! You'll get yours first. So I'm looking forward to your comparisons.
yep, just about 36 hours to go (I hope, otherwise oh, the disappointment!), then I'll know. With a bit of luck the cover should be already there, too.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #675
joymreyes
joymreyes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
About the missing "articles from pocket" on the library menu, it is an existing conflict with the japan version. Here is a website which can help - http://techlogbook.wordpress.com/201...-in-kobo-aura/
joymreyes is offline   Reply With Quote