Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-30-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
I just found this case for the Sony

Hi,

I just saw this and thought it was a pretty nice case. I already bought a leather case from Sony but this will be my next one.

http://www.buymedge.com/p_Sony505Ex.html

Have a nice evening!
GypsyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWoman View Post
I just saw this and thought it was a pretty nice case. I already bought a leather case from Sony but this will be my next one.

http://www.buymedge.com/p_Sony505Ex.html
Yep, m-edge gets alot of love here from many people.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yep, m-edge gets alot of love here from many people.

BOb
I can see why, they have some cool stuff!
Old 05-30-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I have both the MEdge Leisure and Executive cover. Like them both. The Leisure cover zips shut and has a clear plastic cover and a padded frame. Although it's not waterproof, it's ideal for the beach or on a boat. Plus, I use it at the gym on the treadmill.

You might also check out the Levenger leather zipped case at http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATE...6262|Level=2-3 Very slick. I've seen these and they are nice as well.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
GypsyWoman
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I have both the MEdge Leisure and Executive cover. Like them both. The Leisure cover zips shut and has a clear plastic cover and a padded frame. Although it's not waterproof, it's ideal for the beach or on a boat. Plus, I use it at the gym on the treadmill.

You might also check out the Levenger leather zipped case at http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATE...6262|Level=2-3 Very slick. I've seen these and they are nice as well.
That's a beautiful case. Looks ike you can fit a lot in it. I hadn't thought of a zippered case before. That's a good idea.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
The problem with the Levenger case is that they don't use the Sony clip/bracket system. You have stick Velcro to your Reader. The M-Edge doesn't use the Sony mounting system, either. Also, I'm leery of that pen loop. With the high-end pens I use (brass, heavy) I think I could scratch up my Reader thoroughly with that cover.

I have the Sony Deluxe Leather cover, which means I also have the original cover. I'm thinking about cannibalizing the bracket from the original cover and building my own ultimate cover.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:49 PM   #7
GypsyWoman
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
The problem with the Levenger case is that they don't use the Sony clip/bracket system. You have stick Velcro to your Reader. The M-Edge doesn't use the Sony mounting system, either.

I have the Sony Deluxe Leather cover, which means I also have the original cover. I'm thinking about cannibalizing the bracket from the original cover and building my own ultimate cover.
I did not know this. Good to know! Too many choices and not enough info. I would have never known this if you didn't tell me. I would have been disappointed. I do not want to stick velcro on my reader.

I bought the Sony Deluxe cover too. I hadn't opened it yet. Doesn't it use the same clips?

What kind of cover are you thinking building?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The MEdge Executive cover uses leather/elastic loops (two at the top; two at the bottom) to secure the reader. With the Leisure case, you place the reader into the padded frame then zip the cover closed which holds the reader securely.

I also don't care for the velcro on the Levenger. Too bad, as it is otherwise a nice case.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:04 PM   #9
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I like the Sony Deluxe Leather cover fine. The leather takes some breaking in. Mine has soaked up enough natural oils from my hands to start to soften and develop those nice wear creases. It has a business card pocket with clear plastic, which is nice. Above that is a small SD card pocket. These are both stitched onto the outside of a larger pocket, which is the perfect size to fit a small MoleSkine Pocket Cahier notebook (black to match the case... would also look bitchin' in the hot pink leather case). Those pockets are all on the inside back. Since the case does indeed use the clips, the back cover opens away from the Reader so you can get to these pockets.

For me, the only thing missing is a pen loop, but again, I'm not sure where they could safely put one, and I always have a pen in my pocket anyway. So, not a big deal.

The M-Edge and the Levenger cases both have their pockets on the inside front cover, which means all your little goodies come into contact with the Reader screen. That strikes me as a colossally poor design choice.

So overall, I'm very satisfied with the Sony Deluxe Leather cover.

That said, it is leather, it is soft, and I travel very frequently. This means packing the Reader in my travel case, and tucking it into airplane seat back pockets. I worry that the leather case, while great around town and at home, isn't sufficient protection for a real Road Warrior Reader like me.

So, I want a hard metal case, which hinges completely shut, and latches. Yet, when open, is comfortable enough to hold and read. A soft interior lining. Felt? Suede? Would the Reader sit completely recessed in the cover "bottom", and the "lid" swivel away? Or would the Reader use the clips, letting both "doors" open away? Or could I build something with "sleeves" that I could use, tucking the original cases covers inside?

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 05-30-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #10
GypsyWoman
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I like the Sony Deluxe Leather cover fine. The leather takes some breaking in. Mine has soaked up enough natural oils from my hands to start to soften and develop those nice wear creases. It has a business card pocket with clear plastic, which is nice. Above that is a small SD card pocket. These are both stitched onto the outside of a larger pocket, which is the perfect size to fit a small So overall, I'm very satisfied with the Sony Deluxe Leather cover.

That said, it is leather, it is soft, and I travel very frequently. This means packing the Reader in my travel case, and tucking it into airplane seat back pockets. I worry that the leather case, while great around town and at home, isn't sufficient protection for a real Road Warrior Reader like me.

So, I want a hard metal case, which hinges completely shut, and latches. Yet, when open, is comfortable enough to hold and read. A soft interior lining. Felt? Suede? Would the Reader sit completely recessed in the cover "bottom", and the "lid" swivel away? Or would the Reader use the clips, letting both "doors" open away? Or could I build something with "sleeves" that I could use, tucking the original cases covers inside?
I travel a great deal myself. In fact, I am leaving for Alaska again in less than 2 weeks. So a case that travels well is important to me. That's why I wanted a leather case thinking it would be more durable and leather weathers nicely, usually.

I'm okay with not having pen in the case. I have a pen case in my bag I always carry.

Keep us posted on your case building project. Sounds like you are on the right track with needs in the ultimate case.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:35 AM   #11
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Nicest cover I've seen for the 505
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:24 AM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWoman View Post
I travel a great deal myself. In fact, I am leaving for Alaska again in less than 2 weeks. So a case that travels well is important to me. That's why I wanted a leather case thinking it would be more durable and leather weathers nicely, usually.

I'm okay with not having pen in the case. I have a pen case in my bag I always carry.

Keep us posted on your case building project. Sounds like you are on the right track with needs in the ultimate case.
The MEdge Leisure case seems especially well designed for travel. I insert the reader screen down into the padded frame. That way, the screen is protected by the padding and the whole thing is zippered shut in my carry-on bag. Normally what I do is carry the reader in the leisure case while I'm in transit (ie. on the plane, in the terminal etc) and pack the executive case in my bag and switch it over when I get to my destination.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:03 AM   #13
macphersondh
Enthusiast
macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
I bought the M-Edge Executive cover and, as recorded elasewhere, I was very disappointed with it. The leather feels very thin and in my opinion does not offer any more protection than the standard cover supplied with the 505. When folded back it feels too broad and the damned tongue thas keeps it closed simply gets in the way.

I have used it once - it now sits in my drawer unused, unloved...

David
macphersondh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:06 AM   #14
harrynewman
harrynewman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I've got one, and I love it.

The flap doen't have to get in the way, I fold the front cover right back and tuck it in between.

harrynewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:11 AM   #15
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrynewman View Post
I've got one, and I love it.

The flap doen't have to get in the way, I fold the front cover right back and tuck it in between.

Me too. And I never notice the flap.