Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-04-2008, 06:09 AM   #1
ragdoll
Connoisseur
ragdoll began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad V1
Free Mobipocket dictionary?

I realized that, to use instant dictionary lookup in mobipocket, I have to download and install a dictionary...
So I have to questions:
Is there a free dictionary I can download, already in MobiPocket format or to be converted to Mobipcket?
Once I obtained the dictionary what have I to do to install it?

Thanks
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:29 AM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
There are 2 of them on MobileRead:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16419
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12000
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:36 AM   #3
ragdoll
Connoisseur

Thank you Adam, just 2 minutes ago I installed GCIDE, but the I didn't find other one before you told me.
Which one is better?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:47 AM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There are two free dictionaries in Mobipocket format loaded here, under that "E-Books" link above. Here're the direct links:

I have loaded the GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English (GCIDE) into mine (thanks to Adam B. for making it available) while deciding which commercial dictionary to buy. As mentioned in one of the above two threads, it doesn't always seem to manage things like plurals and variations when doing a lookup, or I just don't always find the words I'm looking up. Saying that, it works pretty good for a free dictionary, and better if you don't just assume that because it failed on a word in a text you are currently reading, that it doesn't have the word. As an example, if it doesn't fine "affability", you could try "affable" instead. Try it out. You might find it to be exactly what you're after.

To try it out, you should just have to download it to your PC (assuming 'PC') and open it in the Mobipocket Reader. Assuming you've set the software up with your Iliad as a registered reading device, you should just be able to 'sync' or 'Send' it to your Iliad (this is the way it works with the Iliad V2 and the Mobipocket Reader software, so I am making several assumptions here). If you do not use the Mobipocket Reader, I am guessing that you just place it in the Mobipocket books folder on the Iliad (or your card if that's where you store your books). (Sorry, this is all a bit vague, and I probably should have left this bit for someone else - you'll either know what I mean, or you'll go "Huh?!" and have to wait for someone with a bit more nous than me to come along ).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:51 AM   #5
ragdoll
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
There are two free dictionaries in Mobipocket format loaded here, under that "E-Books" link above. Here're the direct links:

I have loaded the GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English (GCIDE) into mine (thanks to Adam B. for making it available) while deciding which commercial dictionary to buy. As mentioned in one of the above two threads, it doesn't always seem to manage things like plurals and variations when doing a lookup, or I just don't always find the words I'm looking up. Saying that, it works pretty good for a free dictionary, and better if you don't just assume that because it failed on a word in a text you are currently reading, that it doesn't have the word. As an example, if it doesn't fine "affability", you could try "affable" instead. Try it out. You might find it to be exactly what you're after.

To try it out, you should just have to download it to your PC (assuming 'PC') and open it in the Mobipocket Reader. Assuming you've set the software up with your Iliad as a registered reading device, you should just be able to 'sync' or 'Send' it to your Iliad (this is the way it works with the Iliad V2 and the Mobipocket Reader software, so I am making several assumptions here). If you do not use the Mobipocket Reader, I am guessing that you just place it in the Mobipocket books folder on the Iliad (or your card if that's where you store your books). (Sorry, this is all a bit vague, and I probably should have left this bit for someone else - you'll either know what I mean, or you'll go "Huh?!" and have to wait for someone with a bit more nous than me to come along ).

Cheers,
Marc
Thank you, it also works with iLiad V1.
What happens if I have to dictionaries on the iLiad?
How does it recognize that a mobiPocket file is a dictionary?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:52 AM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Where, there you go. Since you've got your answer and solved your problem, up above is my pointless post, which I could have edited out, but, hey, I might as well just leave the info there as wisdom for the ages (Some day in a thousand years' time someone's going to dig up this internetty thing while looking for the bones of the long-extinct domestic cow - they all eat McSoy Burgers in the future -and look at this page and the words I have spoken and go...."Huh?!".

Cheers,
Marc
Old 02-04-2008, 06:56 AM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
Thank you, it also works with iLiad V1.
What happens if I have to dictionaries on the iLiad?
Well, I believe you can load as many dictionaries as you want. I'll be having an unabridged (probably Chambers if I listen to HarryT), an English-French, a French-English, and probably if they've got them some "specialty" dictionaries (Literature, Art, Philosophy, History).

Quote:
How does it recognize that a mobiPocket file is a dictionary?
Well, in my universe, the answer to any question I don't have a answer to is "Magic". No, I don't believe in magic either, so I'll just have to assume that there is some kind of checker and index built somewhere in the .prc file format that lets it know it's a dictionary. Hopefully someone like Adam B. will be along in a moment to laugh at my stupid naivety and filibuster and offer an actual, real, proper answer.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 02-04-2008, 07:04 AM   #8
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Well, in my universe, the answer to any question I don't have a answer to is "Magic". No, I don't believe in magic either, so I'll just have to assume that there is some kind of checker and index built somewhere in the .prc file format that lets it know it's a dictionary. Hopefully someone like Adam B. will be along in a moment to laugh at my stupid naivety and filibuster and offer an actual, real, proper answer.
You're actually, exactly right. There is a special index inside of a dictionary Mobipocket file. You have to add some special "magic" to the file when you create it, and then compile it as a dictionary. It also needs to be in the Mobipocket folder in the books directory to be found as a dictionary by the iLiad software.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:08 AM   #9
ragdoll
Connoisseur

Quote:
Well, I believe you can load as many dictionaries as you want. I'll be having an unabridged (probably Chambers if I listen to HarryT), an English-French, a French-English, and probably if they've got them some "specialty" dictionaries (Literature, Art, Philosophy, History).
I just tried to do a quick lookup while reading a book.
On mobi Reader I get two results for the same word, on the iLiad only one from the first dictionary I installed.

Why?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:12 AM   #10
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
...You have to add some special "magic" to the file when you create it...
Thanks, Adam. I think the above quote is a keeper for my "Use-it-out-of-context-against-them-in-a-later-situation" quote file (even though I feel like I set you up. ).

Cheers,
Marc
Old 02-04-2008, 07:14 AM   #11
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I just tried to do a quick lookup while reading a book.
On mobi Reader I get two results for the same word, on the iLiad only one from the first dictionary I installed.

Why?
Is it the abovementioned two dictionaries that you are attempting to use (ie. the free ones from the links above)? If so, which isn't working?

Cheers,
Marc
Old 02-04-2008, 08:07 AM   #12
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I just installed this, and it works just fine. Remember to restart mobipocket so it's found in the library, then set it as dictionary in the options.

Woohoo!
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #13
ragdoll
Connoisseur

Quote:
Is it the abovementioned two dictionaries that you are attempting to use (ie. the free ones from the links above)? If so, which isn't working?

Cheers,
Marc
Yes, I'm using 1913 Websters dictionary and the GCIDE dictionary.
The first I installed was GCIDE, it worked simply copying it into the mobipocket directory. Both the dictionaries are in Books/Mobipocket, together with the book in which I was doing the search.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:45 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Moved because this thread is not iLiad specific.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:17 PM   #15
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, I'm using 1913 Websters dictionary and the GCIDE dictionary.
The first I installed was GCIDE, it worked simply copying it into the mobipocket directory. Both the dictionaries are in Books/Mobipocket, together with the book in which I was doing the search.
With the other one (and noting that the GCIDE would appear to be initially based on that, so, correct me if I'm wrong but you might be "doubling up anyway), did you read the entire thread that it's contained in:

You'll note that there are two separate zip files, and that they have to be joined together into one file using some specific software before you unzip it and transfer the resultant file. Is that what you did?

Cheers,
Marc