Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-11-2023, 03:46 AM   #1
wardoge26
wardoge26 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen
Calibre email subject doesn't change

So I want to send my news epub to my Amazon mail through Outlook with the subject 'convert', but it is sending through my Outlook mail with this jumbled characters (example: AmPkZiaEfswNUgvfzOU6m3) instead of the subject 'convert'. I have changed the mail subject from preferences. Please help
wardoge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 04:48 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
amazon's mail delivery service does not deal well with arbitrary subject/body/etc so these are set to encoded ascii strings. In any case sending a news epub to amazon wont make it a periodical on your kindle. For that you have to use usb delivery of news downloaded in the MOBI format.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 05:22 AM   #3
wardoge26

I see, so there is no way to schedule news downloading and sending them through email?
Old 10-11-2023, 05:44 AM   #4
wardoge26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardoge26 View Post
I see, so there is no way to schedule news downloading and sending them through email?
ass an addition: I can send the news epub and send them manually to Kindle with the subject "convert" from my other email without any problem
Old 10-11-2023, 06:30 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can send them, the subject doesnt need to be convert. They will be converted regardless.
Old 10-11-2023, 09:42 AM   #6
wardoge26

Alright then, thanks for the reply! And sory for the inappropriate typo
Old 11-13-2023, 03:32 PM   #7
zoltan.navy
zoltan.navy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Hello,
Three questions.

Q1 - My understanding is that Kovid is saying that now that Amazon has done away with the mobi format, there is no way to receive your press stuff in epub AS PERIODICALS on Kindle (like up until last week when mobi could be still sent to Kindle by email).
Is this correct?
If yes, then this is a serious limitation. With the format set to "periodical", Kindle moves the old items to its "Periodicals: Back Issues" folder. With no "periodical" option for epubs, news issues will start to pile up on the Kindle main screen. If you are like me and use Kindle for reading press, this will be annoying to the point of wandering why continue with Kindle for that purpose.

Q2 - Nonetheless, if one gets to accept the above limitation, then at least an option to have the date in the title of the news epub file (as it appears on the Kindle screen) would mitigate somewhat the above inconvenience. Is there a solution?

Q3 - If no solution to Q1, is there an alternative e-reader which
(a) uses e-ink, and
(b) is able to handle periodicals the way Kindle did with mobis?
Have been using my Kindle keyboard since 2011 and am so attached to it that switching to a different device appears prohibitive.

Last edited by zoltan.navy; 11-13-2023 at 03:35 PM.
zoltan.navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 08:21 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

PLug your kindle in by USB and it will still get news in MOBI. And if you want the date in the title, then change your output profile to something non-Kindle.
Old 11-18-2023, 02:56 PM   #9
zoltan.navy

Thanks, Kovid but the whole point of using the Kindle for reading press is that one only has (had) to turn on wifi, and the new issues download(ed) automatically. Plugging it in every time is impractical, even unwieldy.
So the question rephrased:
Q4 - Any chance for an update that would create a periodical out of an epub?

(Adding the date in the title is a bit of help but still a long way from the periodical format that armies of Kindle users have got used to.)
Old 11-18-2023, 09:42 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's not in calibre's control. Kindles dont read EPUB. Amazon *converts* the epub and that conversion destroys all periodical formatting.
Old 11-19-2023, 12:50 PM   #11
zoltan.navy

I get this. But the Amazon conversion still gives an azw file -- just like before the mobi format was ditched.
So
Q5 - How come that the periodical formatting did survive the conversion from mobi to azw but is destroyed from epub to azw?
Old 11-19-2023, 03:08 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Q5 - Ask Amazon.

For what it is worth, Amazon doesn't manage to support periodical format on KF8/azw3 so it's rather unlikely to support periodical format on an epub to mobi conversion since epub does not support the rather proprierary periodical format (AFAIR, azw is mobi with Amazon's DRM).

Since you are using your computer to download the news, just connect your Kindle and transfer the .mobi files if you want to use periodical format mobi files. Since you only mention a single device you are using for reading, I can't see it as being that much of a hardship.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 03:16 PM   #13
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltan.navy View Post
I get this. But the Amazon conversion still gives an azw file -- just like before the mobi format was ditched.
So
Q5 - How come that the periodical formatting did survive the conversion from mobi to azw but is destroyed from epub to azw?
Kovid already said that it isn't under Calibre's control. You said "I get this".
You would have to ask Amazon why Amazon is removing the periodical formatting.
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 07:01 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
azw is not azw3.
An azw is mobi with Amazon DRM. There are various kinds of mobi. The basic mobi is like HTML3 and has no CSS. Extensions were added to do periodicals. A non-Amazon mobi/azw might have a .prc ending; The mobi format existed before Amazon bought Mobipocket.

An azw3 is really Amazon's version of epub2, and only has some limited non-periodical extensions (It's basically subset of HTML5 and CSS, like epub2).

An azw3 (KF8) and azw (KF7) are thus completely different things.
There are other Amazon Kindle Formats (KF) and several variations of KFX too.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-19-2023 at 07:04 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 08:53 PM   #15
zoltan.navy

Hello everyone,
Thanks for your detailed answers.
Now I see the full picture. Amazon is abusing its monopoly power -- and, by the way, there's no reasonable/acceptable explanation of why they have retired the mobi format. Their automated messages kept saying that "MOBI is an older file format and does not support the latest Kindle features for documents" -- which is ridiculous, given that periodical formatting has just become unavailable.
Again, USB transferring periodicals on a daily basis IS a hardship. The computer doing the downloading, converting and sending of the periodicals is left alone (turns on and shuts down automatically, running Calibre in the background), so I only needed to connect the Kindle to wifi, and it with automated e-mail delivery, it was all there. You know, like I may be traveling without carrying a notebook -- or, even if I do carry one or just stay at home, thinking about this task is a pain in the ass.