Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
Hrant
Polymath in training
Hrant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 (Global)
Screen Swap

What are the chances the new Kindle3 eInk screen
can be purchased as a part and swapped into a Kindle2?

I actually prefer the latter's keyboard, and I'm assuming the new firmware (with the awesome new fonts and Webkit browser) will be available for K2 eventually, but the new screen is Wow.

hhp

Last edited by Hrant; 08-30-2010 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Formatting
Hrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I doubt it would be cost effective versus buying a K3 given the labor. It would have to be offered by a company that got screens in bulk, too. I think small runs are only sold in rather expensive dev kits. I'm not sure if it requires a different controller, either.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
Hrant
Polymath in training

Actually the Kindle2 teardowns I've seen make it seem pretty easy. Cost: I have no idea, we'll have to see. The big question is, would a simple swap be all that's needed...

hhp
Old 08-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
100% chance if u purchase a Kindle3 and swap the screen out
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:57 PM   #5
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
I think the controllers may be different, too, so they might not just be directly swappable. Though you could get a pretty good little ebay cottage industry going if you could create a frankenstein, "K2 Pearl"...I bet people would buy it.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 12:05 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't know where you'd find screens for sale individually, but if you do make sure you get the proper waveform file too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:45 AM   #7
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
It would be an interesting experiment but I doubt that it would work. eInk screens have well over a thousand electrical connectors. It's next to impossible to properly align them by hand.

Also since screens are different, eInk controller or at least controller settings might be incompatible.

99% change you'll end up with a couple of fancy paper-weights.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
Hrant
Polymath in training

Erserver: Ha. :-)

Of course this would only be feasible if: the connectors were identical; and the external dimensions of the two screens were very close. Let's wait for a K3 teardown.

Getting the part: that can't be too hard, right? Dunno.

BTW, what gives me hope is a webpage I saw showing the successful transplant of an eInk screen from a *Sony* reader to the Kindle1.

hhp

Last edited by Hrant; 08-31-2010 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Grammar