Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
robota
robota began at the beginning.

Device: iPaq 211
Question Hello

This is my first post and first time to this site.
What got me here was curiosity but what actually got me here TODAY is the fact that "Avantgo" went dark and I've been looking around for a replacement.

I haven't spent a lot of time looking yet, just making a few tentative steps.

I have an iPaq 211 which I synch'd with Avantgo every morning when at home and wirelessly (wifi) when on the road. I used it to have newspapers at my fingertips whenever I desired throughout the day - waiting in line, doctor's office - whatever.
I downloaded Mobi reader and iSilo just a few minutes ago. I am going to thoroughly enjoy having a book with me all the time but I already miss the news and weather updates.

So - I'm betting there are a bunch of experts in this area that visit this site.
What I'm looking for is a site / program that allows me to collect a bunch of feeds, RSS or other, lets me download to PDA for later consumption.

Any ideas? I'm willing to pay a reasonable fee for the service.

robota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi robota and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
robota
robota began at the beginning.

Device: iPaq 211
Thank you cassidym.
robota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello robota, and Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome06.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	31655 to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, robota!

You're the second new poster who joined because of Avantgo. I'm afraid I don't have any answers to your question but you might want to check out the forum about other reading devices. Someone there might be able to help. Good luck.

Happy Reading.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi robota. Welcome to MR!

Sorry I don't have any answers to your questions but if you stick around MR, I think someone else probably will. If you don't get any answers here in "Introduce Yourself", you might try one of the more specific forums, like maybe Reading Software (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=110) or Other Devices (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=164).
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
Nvidiot
Connoisseur
Nvidiot began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
I know Calibre can get news feeds and format them as eBooks. I am not sure if it will allow you to transfer those directly to your machine, but have a look at it regardless.
Nvidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Hi robota,
I have an ipaq 214 and for DLing rss feeds for offline viewing I use mobipocket reader. The problem is that you can't synch your subscriptions on the go unless you have a computer with you.
But nowadays I mostly use Google Reader, as it is my primary RSS aggregator and I've grown tired of exporting feeds from it to mobipocket reader every time I subsribe to a new feed. So I just fire up the Opera browser on my ipaq and check feeds in the Google Reader mobile.

Your nickname aroused my curiosity as to its provenance, it actually means "work" where I come from. What a coincidence.

What I forgot to mention is that mobipocket reader has the article extraction capability, which is quite reliable, no need to write complicated recipes respectively for every feed, like with Calibre. I'm unaware of any other program/service with article extraction that is as reliable and free of charge on top of it.

Last edited by Abelturd; 07-06-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
Your nickname aroused my curiosity as to its provenance, it actually means "work" where I come from. What a coincidence.
Interesting. I assumed that robota is either (a) a feminine robot (kinda like a robot-ette), (b) roberta, but from somewhere with an accent (you gotta say it out loud. slow), or (c) not robot-b, robot-c, or robot-zed.

Now you've aroused my curiosity, Abelturd. Where are you from?
Old 07-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Interesting. I assumed that robota is either (a) a feminine robot (kinda like a robot-ette), (b) roberta, but from somewhere with an accent (you gotta say it out loud. slow), or (c) not robot-b, robot-c, or robot-zed.

Quote:
possibly czech republic ? or other slavic country ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot
Quote:
The word robot was introduced to the public by Czech writer Karel Čapek in his play R.U.R. (Rossum's Universal Robots), published in 1920.[14] The play begins in a factory that makes artificial people called robots, but they are closer to the modern ideas of androids and clones, creatures who can be mistaken for humans. They can plainly think for themselves, though they seem happy to serve. At issue is whether the robots are being exploited and the consequences of their treatment.

However, Karel Čapek himself did not coin the word. He wrote a short letter in reference to an etymology in the Oxford English Dictionary in which he named his brother, the painter and writer Josef Čapek, as its actual originator.[14] In an article in the Czech journal Lidové noviny in 1933, he explained that he had originally wanted to call the creatures laboři (from Latin labor, work). However, he did not like the word, and sought advice from his brother Josef, who suggested "roboti". The word robota means literally work, labor or serf labor, and figuratively "drudgery" or "hard work" in Czech and many Slavic languages.[15] Serfdom was outlawed in 1848 in Bohemia, so at the time Čapek wrote R.U.R., usage of the term robota had broadened to include various types of work, but the obsolete sense of "serfdom" would still have been known.[16][17]

The word robotics, used to describe this field of study, was coined (albeit accidentally) by the science fiction writer Isaac Asimov.
welcome, robota, i hope you are not toiling in drudgery all day long. i am sure some reading will help to ease the tedium.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #11
rlparker
Ars longa

Seeking Robot Reading Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
Thanks for the education, your pinwheel-ness. Seriously, I don't know how we all got along in the old days (before Wikipedia). I love to look up stuff there . I could easily get lost for hours just following link after link--if only I didn't have to earn a living .

Now that you've brought up Capek and Asimov, it makes me wonder what the best robot books are--fiction or non-fiction included?
Old 07-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #12
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Quote:
You're right about robota being of feminine gender. It's not a she-robot, though. I checked in the dictionary, but it seems there's no feminine form of "robot". If you pressed me into coming up with one, I would probably go with "robotka".
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker
Zelda was close, I'm located just east of Czech republic. Check it on the map, so you get familiar with the region.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #13
rlparker
Ars longa

Quote:
Zelda was close, I'm located just east of Czech republic. Check it on the map, so you get familiar with the region.
Wow, how did you know that my geographic knowledge is sub-par? Oh, yeah, you saw from my sig that I live in the U.S.

Okay, just east looks like either Polska or possibly Slovensko?

Last edited by rlparker; 07-06-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #14
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Quote:
Wow, how did you know that my geographic knowledge is sub-par? Oh, yeah, you saw from my sig that I live in the U.S.

Okay, just east looks like either Polska or possibly Slovensko?
I'm really sorry, my remark was utterly inappropriate.

You know, it did strike my mind that being from far away behind the ocean, seeing it on a map might help you acquire a better spatial perception of my whereabouts. But my intentions were far from exploiting that distasteful stereotype that Americans are bad at geography, I'm not that good at it myself, so that you know.
I won't tease you any longer, the answer is Slovensko.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Thanks for the education, your pinwheel-ness. Seriously, I don't know how we all got along in the old days (before Wikipedia). I love to look up stuff there . I could easily get lost for hours just following link after link--if only I didn't have to earn a living .
no worries, me neither, me too, me too, and "alas".

Quote:
Now that you've brought up Capek and Asimov, it makes me wonder what the best robot books are--fiction or non-fiction included?
hmm... another job for wikipedia ?

Quote:
I won't tease you any longer, the answer is Slovensko.
and another mystery solved !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avantgo, news feeds