Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
davlewis
davlewis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Oops, the page you requested is temporarily unavailable.

I just purchased a new PRS-505 (Blue). I signed up on the Sony eBook Connect site, created my account and authorized my PC. I purchased a couple of books from the Sony site, and they are now in my Sony software library.

I now have two problems:
  • When I connect the Reader to the machine and attempt to copy the books purchased from Sony to the Reader I am informed the Reader must be authorized first, I am presented with a screen in the Sony software to login which I do. The software spins the sync indicator for a few seconds and then I get he following error:

This has been going on now for over 12 hours, so if it is a web site error Sony needs to hire some new developers and IT support people.
  • So I think, no problem, I'll simply use Calibre to copy the books purchased from Sony to the Reader, wrong, I cannot find any method to get the purchased books out of the Sony library software to a file on my computer for Calibre to pick up.
As of now I am very tempted to return the PRS-505 and wait until I can afford a Kindle 2 (I got the PRS-505 from Fry's for $269, a Kindle 2 WITH cover will be more than $100 more than the PRS-505). And while I really like the idea of built in dictionary of Kindle 2 the extra size of the Kindle to support the built-in keyboard sure seems to be added bulk to try and hold, and I really like the metal more substantial housing of the PRS-505 over what I hear is a plastic case on the Kindle.

The main reasons I tried to buy the books from the Sony site versus BoB was either availability of a specific title, or a different price on Sony for some of the titles. But from this point on if I buy a title from BoB does the Reader need to be "authorized" or can I just use Calibre to copy the book directly to the PRS-505 (for PROTECTED DRM books) and ignore the whole Sony software debacle (the Sony software is clumsy to be as polite as possible).

One thing that "may" be at play with the inability to authorize the Reader is that I am running Windows 7 Release Candidate, but I did install the Sony software in Windows Vista SP1 compatibility mode and everything else other than authorizing the Reader appears to work.

Dave...
davlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
BookishMom
Connoisseur
BookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheese

Device: K1, K2, and iPad. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davlewis View Post
When I connect the Reader to the machine and attempt to copy the books purchased from Sony to the Reader I am informed the Reader must be authorized first, I am presented with a screen in the Sony software to login which I do. The software spins the sync indicator for a few seconds and then I get he following error:

This has been going on now for over 12 hours, so if it is a web site error Sony needs to hire some new developers and IT support people.
Before you return it, try this - restart your computer, then try to access the store before doing anything else once it reboots. This is the only way I can connect with the Sony Store. It works every time, but once I do anything else on my PC (check email, bring up browser, whatever), I can never connect.

Let us know if this works for you.
BookishMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
Cassy
Zealot
Cassy began at the beginning.

Device: Silver Sony PRS 505
authorizing it that way never worked for me either. I got the same message. What you can do though is log in to your sony bookstore account, then in the top right hand corner (?) there should be an option to authorize your reader there.

I'll post better instructions when I'm at home and have access to my library but its really easy. You just have to authorize it through the sony store and not when you try and transfer the book across!
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
davlewis
davlewis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks,

I made sure the Reader was attached to the computer and had been recognized, then I restarted the Sony Library software, then Signed In. Then I clicked on the eBook Store link in the Library software and as soon as I did the software said it had detected a Reader, would I like to authorize it, I said yes, and SUCCESS!!!!! Reader is now authorized and I have copied the books I bought from the Sony store to the Reader and they open correctly.

So, am I correct in assuming there is no way to use Calibre to manage the entire library, including books purchased from Sony? If so, I will likely just pay the higher price at BoB so that I can use Calibre for everything.

Dave...
davlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:12 AM   #5
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Yes, you can manage your books in Calibre.

Open Calibre and in the top left corner, click on 'Add Books'. A window opens and you browse to your ebook store files. The sony software put the file in my documents / my books / ebook library. The book files have names like cbuscecc1000bxxx. Highlight the files and click open. Calibre will copy the files and create folders for each book or author. You can edit the metadata and create tags which will help you sort the books. The original sony files will remain separate.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert