Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2014, 11:59 PM   #1
mb2u
Enthusiast
mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo Touch and Mini
Possible to organize in folders?

The Touch takes a microSD card. Great. Now I can put hundreds or thousands of books in it for a great reference source when I'm away from the computer. But how does one find something? This screen shows me a wopping 5 titles at a time. I can sort by Author, Title, File Size or File Type but that is useless when you've got thousands of files to sort through. We need folders and sub folders and a screen that shows a lot more than a ridiculous 5 items at a time. What in the world were they thinking? Are they trying to incapacitate us? Its pretty much the same with Kindle devices. They double space wasting huge amounts of vertical space. With a small font (if the main screen was intelligently adjustable) I could see about 20-40 titles at a time if the designers had a brain. 5 titles at a time? Makes no sense at all. What's the point of putting a memory slot in it if you can't find more than a few books at a time? Let's do some math:
40 lines per page x 40 (2nd screen) = 1600 books in just 2 screens.
40 x 40 x 40 (3 screens) gives us access to 64,000 books.

Right now we have no folders. Just a stupid list of crap taking up an inordinate amount of space.
mb2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:37 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You have the ability to make collections; many of us automate that process via calibre. Sure, collections can not be nested, but it's better than nothing.

Others make use of alternate reading software (KOREADER I think) that lets you browse the file system.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2014, 01:02 AM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Both the Koreader port and the CoolReader port use a simple "File Manager"/file browser approach instead of the database locked book manager that Kobo uses.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=226456

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2u View Post
The Touch takes a microSD card. Great. Now I can put hundreds or thousands of books in it for a great reference source when I'm away from the computer. But how does one find something? This screen shows me a wopping 5 titles at a time. I can sort by Author, Title, File Size or File Type but that is useless when you've got thousands of files to sort through. We need folders and sub folders and a screen that shows a lot more than a ridiculous 5 items at a time. What in the world were they thinking? Are they trying to incapacitate us? Its pretty much the same with Kindle devices. They double space wasting huge amounts of vertical space. With a small font (if the main screen was intelligently adjustable) I could see about 20-40 titles at a time if the designers had a brain. 5 titles at a time? Makes no sense at all. What's the point of putting a memory slot in it if you can't find more than a few books at a time? Let's do some math:
40 lines per page x 40 (2nd screen) = 1600 books in just 2 screens.
40 x 40 x 40 (3 screens) gives us access to 64,000 books.

Right now we have no folders. Just a stupid list of crap taking up an inordinate amount of space.
Perhaps you should introduce yourself to the search capability? Start typing in the search field and watch the results pop up. Author, title, series, etc. can be searched on. If I want to find one of the IBM redbooks on a Tivoli product, I type ti, tap on Tivoli. For fiction, enter we, tap on David Weber.

I'm not sure how you jumped from one screen showing 40 titles to 2 screen showing 1600 titles. 40 lines/titles per screen and two screens would allow you to view 80 titles not 1600. A third screen would up that to 120 titles. So for a collection of 2000 books, you are going to be scrolling through 50 pages. Using folders may help but quite a few of those folders are not going to have more than 4-5 books in them. A quick check using Calibre says I have 314 authors with 2047 books and 3.7 books per author.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Noooooo you mentioned Tivoli... In a previous life I worked extensively with many of those products...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 12:22 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Noooooo you mentioned Tivoli... In a previous life I worked extensively with many of those products...
We've only got one Tivoli product left (Tivoli Provisioning Manager for OS Deployment) aka that program from Hades. A product we swear at more often than we swear by it.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
folders, organization, organize, subfolders