Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #286
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Look for discussions on Widows and Orphans in these 'ere forums
I just did a quick search, that's where I found the CSS to put into a epub to epub conversion. It didn't seem to work.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #287
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
Does anyone know how to avoid that extra bit of space on the bottom of the page that seems to randomly pop up sometimes? I can't seem to figure out where it comes from or why it happens. I tried the widows and orphans CSS in calibre, but it didn't seem to really fix it. It's not a big deal, but I'd like to fix it, if possible.
You might want to try using Sigil to edit the epub. Add the widows: 0; and orphans: 0; to the body style in the stylesheet.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2013, 01:05 AM   #288
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Does anyone know how to avoid that extra bit of space on the bottom of the page that seems to randomly pop up sometimes? I can't seem to figure out where it comes from or why it happens. I tried the widows and orphans CSS in calibre, but it didn't seem to really fix it. It's not a big deal, but I'd like to fix it, if possible.
As others have said, it should be fixed with by setting widows and orphans in CSS. But, how much is "that extra bit of space"? As well as the widows/orphans, there is always a gap depending on how the number of lines work out. When there seem to be a bit extra space, I open the bottom menu and check how much space there is above the line. Usually there is less than a lines worth, and I can see that there are elements on the page that take up more than a line of body text. The chapter heading is an example of this. The way I format chapter headings when I "fix" a book is probably a cause of this. The style I use for headings has a top margin so that the heading isn't covered by the top bar when it is opened.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:05 AM   #289
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
Quote:
I'm not sure how to batch do this but:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=641
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #290
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You might want to try using Sigil to edit the epub. Add the widows: 0; and orphans: 0; to the body style in the stylesheet.

Regards,
David
This worked. Is there a way to do this in bulk? My books have "Calibre14", "Calibre23", etc. as the style for regular paragraphs. is there a way to add the orphans and widows CSS in a bulk conversion?
Advert
Old 05-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #291
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This worked. Is there a way to do this in bulk? My books have "Calibre14", "Calibre23", etc. as the style for regular paragraphs. is there a way to add the orphans and widows CSS in a bulk conversion?
Those names says the books have been through a calibre conversion. If they have been cleaned up, then open them find the stylesheet and the class used for the body will be "calibre". Add the orphans and widows to that.

To do a bulk fix, reconvert them in calibre. Select a few at a time and press the convert button. Go to the "Look & Feel" tab of the conversion settings. In the "Extra CSS" field, put "body {orphans: 0; widows: 0}". Calibre will add those to the class it uses for the body tag in the stylesheet.

Make sure you do a couple of books first and that you like the results.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #292
evanft
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Those names says the books have been through a calibre conversion. If they have been cleaned up, then open them find the stylesheet and the class used for the body will be "calibre". Add the orphans and widows to that.

To do a bulk fix, reconvert them in calibre. Select a few at a time and press the convert button. Go to the "Look & Feel" tab of the conversion settings. In the "Extra CSS" field, put "body {orphans: 0; widows: 0}". Calibre will add those to the class it uses for the body tag in the stylesheet.

Make sure you do a couple of books first and that you like the results.
I will give this a shot. Calibre will know to put that under the "calibre" section?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #293
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I will give this a shot. Calibre will know to put that under the "calibre" section?
Yes. I think it adds this to the class it uses for the body. I'm not an expert on calibre conversion. That came from my memory of post that I can't find right now.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #294
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I thought this was a Kobo Aura HD Impressions thread. Shouldn't these recent posts be in the Calibre sub-forum?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #295
evanft
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I thought this was a Kobo Aura HD Impressions thread. Shouldn't these recent posts be in the Calibre sub-forum?
This has become the general thread for Aura HD owners. How to best convert books in calibre for use on the Aura seems pretty relevant to me. Definitely much more than the customer service complaints or shipping updates that seemed to make up a large portion of this thread a week or so ago.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #296
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This has become the general thread for Aura HD owners. How to best convert books in calibre for use on the Aura seems pretty relevant to me. Definitely much more than the customer service complaints or shipping updates that seemed to make up a large portion of this thread a week or so ago.
Certainly, I agree. But there is some very helpful information here that could also benefit those using the Calibre sub-forum.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #297
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
You are quite possibly right but it's simpler/easier to answer a question here and suggest checking the Calibre, Sigil or other forum for more advanced information.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #298
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Answering a few questions here on calibre is fine.

However, for extensive programming issues and extravagant code examples wherein a deep commitment to calibre marks a defining presence, please start a separate thread in the calibre Forum.

Thank you.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #299
Skydog
Wizard

Thank you, Dr. Drib.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #300
HardwareLust
HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Nook Color/Tablet, Kobo Aura HD/Mini, Kindle Paperwhite
I haven't read all 20 pages of responses, but I'm pretty disappointed in mine. I'm about ready to ask for a refund and send it back to Kobo. It's laggy, the screen is unresponsive, and the screen contrast with the light off isn't all that great. I'm switching back to my Nook Tablet or my Sony PRS-950. I'm kinda sorry I fell for the hype now. Guess I'll wait and see what the 2nd gen Kindle Paper White looks like or the new Sony.

EDIT: On further thought, I have requested a refund for my Aura HD and I will be returning it.

Last edited by HardwareLust; 05-08-2013 at 05:14 PM.
HardwareLust is offline   Reply With Quote