Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Kindle new/old combo format

I apologise if this has been addressed before but I cannot find anything on it.

I have updated my kindle 3 to the new v3.4 firmware but have family members that have older Kindles. I would like to produce ebooks that can be read on all the devices. I think they are call combo files i.e. I understand that the Kindle reading device would select either the old MOBI or the new AZW depending on what it can understand.

Can someone tell me what settings I have to change in Calibre to get the new combo files into one book and also what extension would result?

Thank you
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
Can someone tell me what settings I have to change in Calibre to get the new combo files into one book and also what extension would result?
Preferences -> Output Options -> MOBI Output -> Kindle options -> set 'MOBI file type' to 'both'.

They'll still be .mobi files.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Thank you.

It's so simple when you know how. I did look but I guess I'm having too many senior moments these days.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
Thank you.

It's so simple when you know how. I did look but I guess I'm having too many senior moments these days.
Keep in mind that your Kindle will choose the new format book due to firmware 3.4, and it will NOT produce a mbp file to track your reading progress. It'll use a han file instead.
So if you use Calibre's Fetch Annotations, you might want to stick with the old format only.
I had to since I use Fetch Annotations a lot.
Cheers,
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrist7 View Post
Keep in mind that your Kindle will choose the new format book due to firmware 3.4, and it will NOT produce a mbp file to track your reading progress. It'll use a han file instead.
So if you use Calibre's Fetch Annotations, you might want to stick with the old format only.
I had to since I use Fetch Annotations a lot.
Cheers,
Thank you for that, I have been going crazy trying to figure out why some books create a HAN and some a MBP.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Thank you for that, I have been going crazy trying to figure out why some books create a HAN and some a MBP.
Hi nynaevelan
You should have seen/heard me saturday when I discovered mbp file was gone from the book I'd read during the week
I was SO scared that I had messed up big time by upgrading to FW 3.4
Did some experiments sunday, and concluded as I described. No one has corrected me so far, so I just could be right. I wonder why I had to try the new combi format
Just curious I guess, but ... forgot all about after 1 nights sleep
Have a nice weekend,
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote