Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
HowardBrazee
Zealot
HowardBrazee began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
How do I combine my .docx with my .epub & .mobi?

I have the same book in 3 formats. The .epub & .mobi show up as one entry in Calibre, the .docx in another. I edited their metadata so that they are identical, but I can't get them to be a single entry.

I also tried combining them from Finder, but that didn't work either.

I see that the .mobi has an original title that I don't want, when I read it with a Kindle reader. (The author sent me both the .docx and the .mobi - he prefers the .docx so that it is easier to send him proof-reading feedback).
HowardBrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Howard,

Make sure you're using the latest version of Calibre. The ability to read metadata from .docx files was added in version 0.8.56.

Marty
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
HowardBrazee
Zealot

I am using the latest version. It reads the .docx.

When I couldn't successfully convert it, I asked the author to send me the .mobi as well. But something's different, as Calibre doesn't combine these into one (the way it combines the .epub and the .mobi into one entry).
Old 07-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardBrazee View Post
I am using the latest version. It reads the .docx.

When I couldn't successfully convert it, I asked the author to send me the .mobi as well. But something's different, as Calibre doesn't combine these into one (the way it combines the .epub and the .mobi into one entry).
The author & title metadata of the DOCX and MOBI/EPUB version probably don't match, and then the duplicate detection logic built into the Calibre import function won't be triggered. And you end up with two entries.

You can combine them by hand by selecting both and merging them with the 'M' key.
mbovenka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
HowardBrazee
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
You can combine them by hand by selecting both and merging them with the 'M' key.
Thanks, that worked.
Advert