Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
[Old Thread] Cleanest Conversion?

I use ePub pretty much exclusively (well, except for PDF, but that's another story) but a lot of the free classics on MR aren't available as ePubs -- quite a few of them (like the Bhagavad-Gita) are LRF, MOBI, or PRC.

In the case of a book that is available in these other formats (LRF, MOBI, PRC, LIT, etc.) is there a "cleanliness of Calibre conversion [to ePub]" ranking system? I assume that Calibre converts some of the formats more cleanly/correctly than others.

Thanks!
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Using mobi or prc from the mobileread library have all converted to epub nicely.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
In the case of a book that is available in these other formats (LRF, MOBI, PRC, LIT, etc.) is there a "cleanliness of Calibre conversion [to ePub]" ranking system?
In my experience both Mobi/prc and LIT will convert very well (neither one really better than the other). LRF has been hit or miss for me.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-14-2011 at 06:21 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I agree with AnemicOak.
I like to start with lit when I can although most formats are fine.
I like to have my books formatted a certain way, so I even convert epub to epub in most cases.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:41 AM   #5
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Agree with the gang. I personally have found, generally speaking, best conversions to epub are [best to worst]:

MOBI
PRC
LIT
LRF

YMMV of course,
-les
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 03:57 AM   #6
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Agree with the gang. I personally have found, generally speaking, best conversions to epub are [best to worst]:

MOBI
PRC
LIT
LRF

YMMV of course,
-les
Somewhere in the Calibre FAQ they have a list from Kovid that has exactly this. Can't find it right now though.

In my experience, my preference for stuff floating around on the web is, best to worst

HTML
kindle (mobi/prc)
LIT - watch for the italics - I've lost italics on a lot of LIT conversions

I don't have a lot of experience with LRF files.

I find a lot of the time, the HTML is safest, because it's the oldest and also one of the best to convert from. Dig around and find the original HTML file if you can. A lot of the other files tend to be conversions from the HTML using Calibre or other tools, and so they get more and more issues from various conversions with whatever programs (extra blank spaces between paragraphs I have to remove, for example, or italics dropped during a conversion somewhere and not caught, etc).
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:24 AM   #7
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I use ePub pretty much exclusively (well, except for PDF, but that's another story) but a lot of the free classics on MR aren't available as ePubs -- quite a few of them (like the Bhagavad-Gita) are LRF, MOBI, or PRC.

In the case of a book that is available in these other formats (LRF, MOBI, PRC, LIT, etc.) is there a "cleanliness of Calibre conversion [to ePub]" ranking system? I assume that Calibre converts some of the formats more cleanly/correctly than others.

Thanks!
Were you able to do a good conversion of a source for the Bhagvad Gita?
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
This is a extremely old thread that you resurrected from the depths of MR. Little of the 0.7?) discussion will be still relevant to Calibre 1.x Pllease look at the date of the last post (and the advisory) before using Reply. It is better to start a new thread when a topic is more than a few months stale.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote