Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-08-2003, 04:39 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
NY Times's Notable Books Year 2003

This is a great list of notable books which has been selected by NY Times from books reviewed since December 2002. It is meant to suggest some of the high points in this year's fiction and poetry, nonfiction, children's books, mysteries and science fiction. The books are arranged alphabetically under genre headings. The titles link to the original reviews of the books.

Notable Books 2003 - Fiction

Notable Books 2003 - Nonfiction

* required free registration
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 04:04 PM   #2
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Wow. That's one heckuva list. Thanks for sharing.
sUnShInE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2003, 04:35 PM   #3
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
I second that (and thank the gods for printer-friendly format links!). We could always play a sadistical game of "who's read the most on these two lists" but that would be cruel and inhuman...

Nah, I always hate games where I have little chance of winning...
gvtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 04:54 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvtexas
We could always play a sadistical game of "who's read the most on these two lists" but that would be cruel and inhuman...
Heh you really didn't know, did you? NYT usually contacts me and asks me what books I am reading, the same books that are in the next Sunday book review of course

There is one book on the list that I recently read and I can hardly recommend it to anyone who likes dystopia novels. Book is called Jennifer Government by Max Barry. From Amazon:
Quote:
In the horrifying, satirical near future of Max Barry's Jennifer Government, American corporations literally rule the world. Everyone takes his employer's name as his last name; once-autonomous nations as far-flung as Australia belong to the USA; and the National Rifle Association is not just a worldwide corporation, it's a hot, publicly traded stock. Hack Nike, a hapless employee seeking advancement, signs a multipage contract and then reads it. He discovers he's agreed to assassinate kids purchasing Nike's new line of athletic shoes, a stealth marketing maneuver designed to increase sales. And the dreaded government agent Jennifer Government is after him.
Great book, both funny and scary!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 02:34 PM   #5
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Didn't you mean to say "heartily recommend" and not "hardly recommend" (which of course means the opposite)? This book was pushed a while back on the WOYP groups list, but I found its humor/satire heavy-handed. radleyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
Heh you really didn't know, did you? NYT usually contacts me and asks me what books I am reading, the same books that are in the next Sunday book review of course

There is one book on the list that I recently read and I can hardly recommend it to anyone who likes dystopia novels. Book is called Jennifer Government by Max Barry. From Amazon:

Great book, both funny and scary!
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2003, 03:56 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
woups... of course "heartily"
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote