Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Stuck In Rut? What Should I Read?
Persuasion by Jane Austen 5 11.36%
Shadow Blade by Seressia Glass 3 6.82%
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute 12 27.27%
The Iron King by Julie Kagawa 3 6.82%
Blood Song by Cat Adams 1 2.27%
The Vampire's Assistant and Other Tales from the Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan 3 6.82%
The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny 18 40.91%
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd 4 9.09%
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz 5 11.36%
Survival by Julie E. Czerneda 1 2.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #46
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Nyssa, I'm glad your electricity is back on, but so sorry you were not able to relax and enjoy your book time. I have the same problem when my mom calls on my days off. I have learned that if I answer to the "What are you doing today?" with "I'm going to read," or "I'm going to watch a movie," that it somehow translates to "I'm not going to be doing anything, as I have all this free time and I need something to do."

I've learned to structure my answers to include chores/errands that consume a lot of time..
Thanks Dreams.

Unfortunately, I can't get away with that. She lives with us.

What really got me was, not only did she hear me say how much I was looking forward to relaxing today, and see me settled comfortably on the sofa with a book and soda in hand, she even decided to join me (grabbing her Kindle and glasses) for all of 5 minutes before completely changing course and dragging me with her!

Luckily (I hope) tonight will be better. My mom has gone to a concert at her church, Hubby went to pick up our eldest (and a pizza), and we have declared tonight as "Reading Night"! Wish me luck!!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #47
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Oh and Nyssa, you made one tiny mistake in your poll. Well, not actually tiny, rather a big gaping mistake. You didn't put up that you have the Wool Omnibus yet to read. You see, if you had, it would have won hands down vs all the other choices. So do yourself a favor and forget the poll and read the Wool Omnibus and then you can pay attention to the poll afterwards.
Yeah, I didn't think of it until after I'd already posted the poll. Thats okay. I'm actually quite happy that Amber won, and I can always add Wool into my "break time" rotation along with A Town Like Alice. Although, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao has found itself in third place on the poll, so Wool may get pushed back a little further.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Yeah, I didn't think of it until after I'd already posted the poll. Thats okay. I'm actually quite happy that Amber won, and I can always add Wool into my "break time" rotation along with A Town Like Alice. Although, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao has found itself in third place on the poll, so Wool may get pushed back a little further.
Once you start with the [I]Wool[ Omnibus/I], you'll want to finish all 5 of the books. After I finish A Knight of the Word this weekend, I'll be putting Second Shift - Order on my 650 to read next.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #49
Nyssa
Series Addict

Thank you, everyone!

I really appritiate the time you all took to participate in helping me out of this reading rut!

This is another example of why I enjoy being a part of the MobileRead community!

Amber awaits....
Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thank you, everyone!

I really appritiate the time you all took to participate in helping me out of this reading rut!

This is another example of why I enjoy being a part of the MobileRead community!

Amber awaits....
Wool Omnibus is better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #51
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
It's always nice to have something to look forward to.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #52
Nyssa
Series Addict

Cross Posted From My Challenge Thread on GoodReads....

Woot! I sort of, kind of, maybe finally completed a book!!!

I've just finished Nine Princes in Amber, the first book in The Great Book of Amber. As I stated in my "review", it was quite chaotic & compelling. I am looking forward to book 2.

Jon may be right, however. I may have to take a break between each book, instead of every three or four books like I was planning.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #53
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
If you like the Amber books I heartily suggest that you also read Lord of Light.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #54
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
If you like the Amber books I heartily suggest that you also read Lord of Light.
Apache
I keep getting this recommended to me, but it's not an ebook yet.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #55
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Unfortunately, I know. I still have my original copy . It is well worn from the many times I have read it over the years. I will probably be picking it up again sometime this year.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #56
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I had a look on Amazon UK a few days ago, and was surprised to see almost nothing by Zelazny for the kindle, just a few collaborative works and sequels-by-other-hands. That's quite disappointing for such a significant writer. I wonder what the problem is.

I have Lord of Light in my TBR, in paperback. It's one of the 8 Hugo winners I still have left to read. I'm kind of saving it so I have some motivation to read the more off-putting ones first.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #57
Nyssa
Series Addict

Just a bit of an update...

Since making this request, I've read (though not in this order):
Shadow Blade by Seressia Glass (****)
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute (****)
The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (***)
The first 3 books in The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny (currently avg. ***), plus a few other books not on the list.

I'm now trying to decide between:

1. Finishing The Hand of Oberon (Great Book of Amber #4) which I started yesterday.
2. In a Sunburned Country (My Library/Overdrive hold came through today)
3. Catching Fire
4. The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (Borrowed from Library/Overdrive yesterday)
5. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (MRBC Selection)
6. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (Which has been waiting patiently on my dresser)
7. Purchase The Gone-Away World (Quite spendy @ $11.99) ~ I've decided not to spend the money just yet. Maybe in a week or two.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:25 AM   #58
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Catching Fire

Quote:
Since making this request, I've read (though not in this order):
Shadow Blade by Seressia Glass (****)
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute (****)
The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (***)
The first 3 books in The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny (currently avg. ***), plus a few other books not on the list.

I'm now trying to decide between:

1. Finishing The Hand of Oberon (Great Book of Amber #4) which I started yesterday.
2. In a Sunburned Country (My Library/Overdrive hold came through today)
3. Catching Fire
4. The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (Borrowed from Library/Overdrive yesterday)
5. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (MRBC Selection)
6. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (Which has been waiting patiently on my dresser)
7. Purchase The Gone-Away World (Quite spendy @ $11.99) ~ I've decided not to spend the money just yet. Maybe in a week or two.
They've finished the movie of Catching Fire and scheduled it for Christmas school vacation release, so I'd pick it (if I'd not already read it). Actually I read all 3 back-to-back.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #59
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hmmm - I'd probably not put Verne first. Might be nicer to finish that closer to book discussion time.

I'd probably go one of the library loans - Bryson or Joyce.
Good luck.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:26 AM   #60
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
They've finished the movie of Catching Fire and scheduled it for Christmas school vacation release, so I'd pick it (if I'd not already read it). Actually I read all 3 back-to-back.

I've not seen the first one yet. I'm not sure that I want to, even though I gave the book 5 stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Hmmm - I'd probably not put Verne first. Might be nicer to finish that closer to book discussion time.

I'd probably go one of the library loans - Bryson or Joyce.
Good luck.
This does seem the most logical course (both waiting on Verne and reading the library selections first). When it comes to reading, however, I'm not always so logical (hence my taking suggestions).