Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
onipar
onipar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
What format to convert to?

Hi all.

I just ordered a Kindle 3 from Amazon and I downloaded Calibre to convert some PDF's while I wait for the delivery. I know if I had my Kindle here I could just plug it in and Calibre would automatically convert the books to the necessary file.

But I wanted to start converting now, and I wasn't sure which format to convert to. After some reading, I thought it'd me MOBI, but I wasn't sure.

Is this correct?

Also, if I download free books from Barnes and Noble, can I convert these with Calibre to work on the Kindle?

Thanks!
onipar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
It's mobi. Be aware that many PDF's don't convert all that well. If you have the original source in some other format, such as .rtf or .doc, you'd be better off converting from that.

As for the B&N books, no, not without removing the DRM, which even most free books include.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
onipar

Thanks, Whitearrow.

No, unfortunately I only have the PDF's. But they are all ebooks (not magazines, or strangely formatted manuals), so I was hoping the conversion would work out okay. I guess I'll see.

Too bad about the DRM problem.

That does remind me though, I know libraries loan out epub formatted books now. I'm assuming those are DRM also? I guess they'd have to be for a "loan out" system. DO you happen to know though?

Thanks again.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Yes, libraries use DRM.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
onipar

Yeah, figured. Thanks, Susan.

This was a consideration while I was choosing between the Kindle and Nook, but I figured going to the library to take out books wasn't too big a deal. Besides, I still prefer reading regular books anyway. :-)

Thanks again.
Advert