Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
karenr_nz
Connoisseur
karenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-books

Device: PB360
Pocketbook 301 or 360

I am planning to by my first reader, and have decided on a pocketbook because

a) They are available to be delivered to New Zealand without any hassle; and
b) All the things I have read here suggest that they are really good devices.

But, I am torn between the PB301 and the PB360, so I'm hoping some of you can help me decide which

It seems that the PB360 is an awesome device, and I love the hard cover, and rotatable screen and all the other user friendly features that everyone has posted about, but I'm concerned about the smaller 5" screen. (Since e-book readers are not readily available here, I can't really visualise how big/small the screen is, and how easy it is to read.)

On the other hand, the PB301 has a bigger screen, and MP3 player (which I don't really need) but is more expensive (by about $100 NZD) and doesn't have any kind of cover.

If anyone has both devices, can you help me with comments on useability etc -

Karen
karenr_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, karenr_nz.

While it won't answer all your questions, our famous ebook reader matrix perhaps can answer some.

Enjoy the forums.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I never read on the 301. my son plays checkers and sea battle on it. But I read on the 360 all the time. the smaller screen really is no detriment especially with the higher dpi.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:23 AM   #4
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
If you tend to read more while travelling, than PB360 woild be your device. If you read mostly at home, I'd recommend PB301

it doesn't mean you can't read PB301 in the subway, but 360 has more mobility in it
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:30 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The PB360 is the size of CD jewel case; try holding one in the hand to see how it feels.
The PB301 is closer in size to a DVD case.
Reading on the PB360 is like reading a (very thin, very light) paperback. Since you have fine-grained font size control for DRM-free ebooks it really is going to be up to you to choose higher pixel density a font face/size combo that suits you.
6" in screen devices are not cumbersome but for *my* tastes, 5" is the sweet spot: I have two 6" devices, plus a 4" PocketPC, but these days I do the bulk of my reading on the PB360; it weighs about the same as the PocketPC with much better battery life and it has slightly sharper text than the 6" screens (smaller size + same resolution = higher pixel density).

If you still can't decide for the 360, you might want to wait for the 302 which will have better ergonomics than the 301 in a six inch size. But it *will* be more expensive because off the WiFi and touch screen.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
I wont care about the 5" screen. Dont forget about the zoomfunction and the settings for the fontsize!
The display sounds to be smaller than it is. Of course its more comfortable to read on a bigger screen device, but what i like (and what has been said already) is the mobility of the device, even if you want to read only at home with your reader, who says that it will be like that for the rest of the time?

In the end you have decide on your own which one you are going to buy.
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
karenr_nz
Connoisseur
karenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-books

Device: PB360
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your comments - they have been very helpful. I think the PB360 is probably the device for me - I was only really concerned about the screen size, and you have allayed my concerns.

Thanks again,
Karen
karenr_nz is offline   Reply With Quote