Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did enjoy the fact that the book did not feel outdated. It was a fun read. I liked how it took you in one direction and then you found yourself going another direction without knowing it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #17
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I believe that it was Wilkie Collins who first established the "fair play" rule in The Moonstone. The reader is given all the information necessary to solve the problem themself, unlike Conan Doyle's stories.

I feel that it cheats the readers if they aren't given a fair chance to solve the puzzle for themselves.
It doesn't really bother me for some reason. But like I said earlier, I just sit back and enjoy the show
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #18
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

If I am correct isn't Agatha Christie still the best selling author of all time?

BOb
I think she was listed as such in the Guinness Book of World Records.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:46 PM   #19
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
Just finished.

I don't remember reading any other Agatha Christie novels although I do like older literature. One of the reasons I like the older novels is they are more intellectual and allow you to use your imagination more than some of the more modern literature. Every now and then I pick up a more recently written mystery and too many of them are way too graphic. Needless to say, my chosen genre I read the most is classics.

I did have trouble getting into this book and at one point sort of guessed "who done it", then changed my mind as the various characters were either under suspicion or cleared. I also thought the plot was a bit implausible. Several inexperienced people suddenly working as spies? And two of them just for the adventure?

I would like to read Charlie Chan and Dorothy Sayers. I've downloaded Chan from this site but haven't looked for Dorothy yet.

So many books, so little time.
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:48 PM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hike_gc View Post
Every now and then I pick up a more recently written mystery and too many of them are way too graphic.
Have you investigated Cozy mysteries?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 05:30 AM   #21
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Bob....Thanks! Cozy Mystery's site is very nice...just the kind of mysteries I enjoy reading...didn't know someone had come up with a name for them...just right.
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #22
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Have you investigated Cozy mysteries?

BOb
That is a great site!
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:51 AM   #23
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Well, I am WAY late to this party. My mom, sister, and maternal grandparents all loved Agatha Christie when I was a young lad in the 80s.

Just for the heck of it, I looked her up on Wikipedia.

Those are some impressive stats!

- Bestselling author of any kind, alongside Shakespeare. Outsold only by the bible! (roughly 4 billion copies!)
- Translated into at least 56 languages
- Wrote 80 detective novels, along with plays & short stories

J.K. Rowling has a ways to go before she can hope to catch up! I personally don't think she'll have the staying power of Christie.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:00 AM   #24
Panda Rose
Zealot
Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs505, Kindle 3, iPhone4
I couln't download this to my sony. It had an attirbute error. apparently "no split". What does that mean and how do I rectify it. I am using Calibre.
Panda Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:04 AM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Rose View Post
I couln't download this to my sony. It had an attirbute error. apparently "no split". What does that mean and how do I rectify it. I am using Calibre.
Not sure what it means. FWIW that book (assuming you're using the ePub) works fine when copied over by the Sony software.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:58 AM   #26
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
I finished reading this the other day. It was a good book, and I believe this was her first attempt. To those who have read more of Chritie's work, how do the later works compare to this one? I liked it, but would have been disappointed if it were a $10 download. $1 was a great deal.

I don't like Poirot. His character is well-written, of course, but the guy is a jerk. I'm curious now what Miss Marple is like.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give this book about a 6, but I'm not a die-hard mystery fan. I much prefer Sherlock Holmes' character. Doyle's writing style is more colorful, but that may be because he was from an earlier era. I've finished reading half of his works before I got my K2, and in every case I can recall, the reader had all the information Holmes did. Doyle just didn't draw attention to each clue.

Lastly, to me, full-length mysteries seem to draw on a bit too long. This one is about as long as I'd want a mystery. I REALLY enjoyed Doyle's Holmes short stories. He cut right to the chase.

I also like that there is more physical action in the Holmes' stories. This one just had the characters walking around talking most of the time. No quarrels in this one along the way.

To be fair, I will read more of Christie's works. I've read her first one, now I'll cut to one of her best-loved ones next. Probably 10 Little Indians / and then There Were None
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #27
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
I finished reading this the other day. It was a good book, and I believe this was her first attempt. To those who have read more of Chritie's work, how do the later works compare to this one? I liked it, but would have been disappointed if it were a $10 download. $1 was a great deal.

I don't like Poirot. His character is well-written, of course, but the guy is a jerk. I'm curious now what Miss Marple is like.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give this book about a 6, but I'm not a die-hard mystery fan. I much prefer Sherlock Holmes' character. Doyle's writing style is more colorful, but that may be because he was from an earlier era. I've finished reading half of his works before I got my K2, and in every case I can recall, the reader had all the information Holmes did. Doyle just didn't draw attention to each clue.

Lastly, to me, full-length mysteries seem to draw on a bit too long. This one is about as long as I'd want a mystery. I REALLY enjoyed Doyle's Holmes short stories. He cut right to the chase.

I also like that there is more physical action in the Holmes' stories. This one just had the characters walking around talking most of the time. No quarrels in this one along the way.

To be fair, I will read more of Christie's works. I've read her first one, now I'll cut to one of her best-loved ones next. Probably 10 Little Indians / and then There Were None
I LOVED "And Then There Were None!!!" Why did you pay $1 for this one though? It's free on here.

You might like Miss Marple better. She's very kindly. Poirot is arrogant, but I find it amusing. Christie didn't though, his character drove her insane.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote