Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
kindle users........

(taking a deep breath and hoping I don't come off as TOO ignorant)
Okay, here is my problem. I'm kinda anal about sorting my books by author. They HAVE to be by author. Some of the books I download, whether here or from Amazon, just load themselves 'where ever'. For instance......I've done two Sir Arthur Conan Doyle from Amazon. One sorted itself under the "D"s, one under the "s"s, I guess for "sir". I did contact Amazon, and they said they would talk to the publishers, for whatever that was worth. Some books I've downloaded from here or other places will just throw themselves on the last page by title.
What I would like to know so that I don't have a nervous breakdown looking for books is.......

What programs do I need to download to be able to sort them by author? I don't need to do anything fancier.

Right now I have only Mobipocket reader downloaded.

I'm running windows XP
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
What programs do I need to download to be able to sort them by author? I don't need to do anything fancier.
You need to download the mobiperl package and use the Mobi2mobi.exe program to modify the author. I do not think this will work on Topaz files.

You want to get the windows binaries to make it easy from here:

https://dev.mobileread.com/dist/tompe/mobiperl/

Get mobiperl-win-0.0.38.zip

Then you can read about how to use mobi2mobi here https://dev.mobileread.com/dist/tomp...mobi2mobi.html

HTH,
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Note than mobi2mobi is a command-line program. There is an add-on Mobi2Mobi v0.13 - GUI for Mobiperl tools.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Note than mobi2mobi is a command-line program.
Heh... you say that like it is a bad thing.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Heh... you say that like it is a bad thing.

BOb
It normally wouldn't be, but I've had an "interesting" time trying to get it to work properly. You know ... the old Chinese curse type of interesting.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

rm I've missed you. "chinese type of interesting"??? I'm doomed........
Old 07-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
rm I've missed you. "chinese type of interesting"??? I'm doomed........
Hey .... even I have to occasionally drive the many miles into the closest thing passing for a town to get groceries. And, my neighbors needed some stuff too .... so to save gas, I got what was on everyone's lists.

I think it took me about 4 hours .....
Old 07-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #8
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
If you downloads books from Feedbooks, the metadata should always be the same and quite easy to sort through. That's not the case with every free downloads on the web, a lot of them have the author missing for example.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:45 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
If you downloads books from Feedbooks, the metadata should always be the same and quite easy to sort through. That's not the case with every free downloads on the web, a lot of them have the author missing for example.
Yes......much to my embarassment, after whining about the order of the Philo Vance series on your site, I've found that any books downloaded from Feedbooks always sort themselves properly. And the books downloaded from this site will mostly sort properly....depends I guess on the formatting used by the uploader. Regardless, I just have to learn how to use the software and do it myself when needed......better that whining about it! But I would give my...........left toe.......if I could have someone sitting next to me walking me thru it. Everyone I know is a whiz at downloading music but books? I just get blank looks.......
Old 07-11-2008, 01:15 AM   #10
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Boom, commercials!

j/k. Heh. Feedbooks definitely has the highest quality and best consistency in book's meta data. That being said, I do wish you can give Kindle books the beautiful covers that are shown on your website. I guess it is relatively trivial considering that you've collected already. Is it because of copyright issues?
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:55 AM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
Boom, commercials!

j/k. Heh. Feedbooks definitely has the highest quality and best consistency in book's meta data. That being said, I do wish you can give Kindle books the beautiful covers that are shown on your website. I guess it is relatively trivial considering that you've collected already. Is it because of copyright issues?
Yes, I consider that since we link to Amazon and the original books on the website, displaying those covers in fine. But embedding them in our books would be pushing the limits of fair use a little bit too far.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Yes, I consider that since we link to Amazon and the original books on the website, displaying those covers in fine. But embedding them in our books would be pushing the limits of fair use a little bit too far.
Which is why I wish it were easier (and with Calibre ... even possible) to edit the metadata on the mobi files. I appreciate the reasons why you can't use the covers from the "for sale" books .... because you are doing a mass distribution. However, it would not be a violation of fair use for the individual book owner to download and use that cover.

Do you know of anyone who would be willing to set up Calibre to work with mobi and prc???
Old 07-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #13
patricknnicolle
patricknnicolle has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
As long as we purchased the book it should be fine right?
patricknnicolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #14
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Even the free Tor books often have the author listed as firstname lastname rather than lastname, firstname. They need to be listed lastname, firstname in order to work.

The mobi2mobi gui tool does work, though I find I always have to convert .prc files into .mobi before any of the changes will stick.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote