Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Why I like baen

Their electronic book store seems to have their customer's interests at heart. There typical book price is $5 much lower then the typical general paperback market price of $10. And if you buy the books in bundles the per book price can get as low as approximatly $3 a book.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I buy as much of my Sci Fi as I can get from Baen.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
As do many of us. Not only are the prices good, but their whole attitude about DRM is exemplary, and they make it very easy to try a new author without a huge investment.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
What I like is their assortment of books in their 'free library.' You can get a good selection without having to invest a lot of $ just there never mind the low prices on their other books.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Baenbooks is great. I discovered Honor Harrington there. A series that did not bankrupt me because of their reasonable rates.

No DRM makes it doubly good.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, Baen is an excellent example of a publisher publishes print books but who also "gets" ebooks.

If only the other publishers would learn from them.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Jim Baen was different from the beginning when he founded Baen Books. It is nice to see they are still far seeing even after his death.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now I am dating myself a little bit when I say that there was a time when most publishers sold a quality product and charged a fair price for it and everyone was happy. Somewhere along the path to the modern era that all changed now publishers sell crippled products of questionable products frequently at rates doubble what they were in days long ago. I am cosntantly looking for companies that have not forgotten the older practices.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Now I am dating myself a little bit when I say that there was a time when most publishers sold a quality product and charged a fair price for it and everyone was happy. Somewhere along the path to the modern era that all changed now publishers sell crippled products of questionable products frequently at rates doubble what they were in days long ago. I am cosntantly looking for companies that have not forgotten the older practices.
Really? I've been reading eBooks since "the beginning" (the earlly 1980s) and I don't remember prices ever being significantly lower than they are now. When do you consider this "golden age" to have existed?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard

Not but a few years ago most books were $8 max, now the average is $11.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps your experience differs, but the majority of the books that I buy cost £4-5, which is about $6-8.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #12
jbcohen
Wizard

If we all vote with the power of our pocket books and buy from companies like Baen other publishers will take notice and hopefully emulate baen's model. I understand that not everyone likes sci-fi books.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
Quote:
If we all vote with the power of our pocket books and buy from companies like Baen other publishers will take notice and hopefully emulate baen's model. I understand that not everyone likes sci-fi books.
I am in full agreement.

I don't think we'll get the big dumb publishers to wise up by complaining. Instead, we get them to wise up by pushing the smaller independents who get it to the top of the best-seller lists...and encouraging our friends to do the same.

The big publishers will not get it until they have been thoroughly (and appropriately) completely marginalized by the upstarts.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #14
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Quote:
I understand that not everyone likes sci-fi books.
Am I one of those, of the approximately two thousand eBooks I have on my computers, four or five of them are not Sci-Fi !

Thanks for posting about BaenBooks, I'll give them an on-line visit
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #15
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelch View Post
Am I one of those, of the approximately two thousand eBooks I have on my computers, four or five of them are not Sci-Fi !

Thanks for posting about BaenBooks, I'll give them an on-line visit
Here is the link for the Baen Free Library

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote