Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
thetaoofrecovery
thetaoofrecovery began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Highlights and Notes Revisited

I really hope that compiling/viewing/exporting notes from ebooks on the Kindle Fire is not as complicated as it seems to be…

Initially I accepted the solution that Amazon compiled my highlights/notes for me at the website kindle.amazon.com under “My Highlights”. However, I recently discovered that this has some limitations when I received this notice:

For some books the publisher allows only a limited percentage of a book to be "clipped" and stored separately from the main body of the book, as normally happens when you add a highlight. If you exceed this limit then you will see fewer highlights on this website than you actually marked on your Kindle. Popular Highlights are not counted towards this clipping limit.

So I am back to square one. I would like to be able to view/export/compile my highlights and notes outside of the “Marks and Notes” section on the Fire itself.

I am aware that the highlights are stored in one of the associated book files. However, as I have collected more books, figuring out which file is associated with which book is more difficult as the filenames are convoluted (eg. txls0907wdecsxcdevse1323s3d.mobi) and next to impossible to associate with a particular book. If the filenames were the book title, for example, I might try to figure out how to export the information from the particular file itself – but again, the naming convention seems to make this far too cumbersome.

Does anyone know if there is a better ebook reader that can be sideloaded/installed which creates an annotated companion file like expub does for pdfs? Any other suggestions on how to compile/review highlights and notes would be much appreciated.
thetaoofrecovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
I realize that it shouldn't be necessary and is ridiculous, but having become frustrated with all mentioned above, a while back I started keeping notes in a notebook. (The kind with the real paper and those spiral things).
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Everone's Notes and Highlights are stored here:

https://kindle.amazon.com/your_reading

You can copy and paste from there to Word, Chat Rooms, Forums, etc. In addtion, they have set up a Review section for easy memorization if you need that feature.

Plus, you can add Notes to your Highlights right there and they will appear in your eBook.

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-06-2012 at 09:36 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
thetaoofrecovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post

You can copy and paste from there to Word, Chat Rooms, Forums, etc. In addtion, they have set up a Review section for easy memorization if you need that feature.

Plus, you can add Notes to your Highlights right there and they will appear in your eBook.
That would be great except for this (which I noted above):

For some books the publisher allows only a limited percentage of a book to be "clipped" and stored separately from the main body of the book, as normally happens when you add a highlight. If you exceed this limit then you will see fewer highlights on this website than you actually marked on your Kindle. Popular Highlights are not counted towards this clipping limit.

So again, I have to say that the inability to compile highlights is a real drawback for anyone who does not use the Kindle Fire for fiction reading, but primarily for research purposes. Surely to goodness there is a solution to this issue???
Old 04-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
Athens80
Connoisseur
Athens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetaoofrecovery View Post
So again, I have to say that the inability to compile highlights is a real drawback for anyone who does not use the Kindle Fire for fiction reading, but primarily for research purposes. Surely to goodness there is a solution to this issue???
Have you actually found that any of the Kindle books you are using have limited your access to copy sections of the book to kindle.amazon.com/your_reading -- or are you only worried about the possibility that one might do so? I'm wondering whether you're solving a possible limitation or one actually experienced. If you've experienced it, what is the limitation -- how much of that book's text did the publisher allow you to copy freely through amazon.com before limiting further access?
Athens80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
E-ink Kindles generate a local text file called "My Clippings." I assume the KF is the same (although it may not be). Try locating that file and see if it's what you need.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #7
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Copying and pasting notes into something like Word sounds like a viable alternative. Perhaps that office app that comes with the KF would work (the paid version of course--I know u can't do it in the free version).
Old 04-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
thetaoofrecovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens80 View Post
Have you actually found that any of the Kindle books you are using have limited your access to copy sections of the book to kindle.amazon.com/your_reading -- or are you only worried about the possibility that one might do so? I'm wondering whether you're solving a possible limitation or one actually experienced. If you've experienced it, what is the limitation -- how much of that book's text did the publisher allow you to copy freely through amazon.com before limiting further access?
I actually experienced this...the statement is a cut and paste from the My Highlights section of the website...those who are suggesting cut and paste aren't getting it...it works but DRM limits this option.

There is obviously a file created but it appears to be a companion rather than separate file and so figuring out which is the correct file is difficult to impossible given the rather esoteric file naming system for the ebooks. Honestly this is looking more and more like a ridiculous oversight and real limitation of this device.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
What limit?

Quote:
That would be great except for this (which I noted above):

I've read dozens of Amazon eBooks and never encountered any limits to notes and highlights. Naturally, if you want to copy the entire eBook, that would be a copyright violation. I doubt if anyone has ever seen limits other than that one. The only eBooks I read are all between 600 and 1,000 pages and are all history and biography. I rarely read fiction.

I do my copy and pasting on my PC via that internet site. I only use the Kindle Fire to read the ebooks and use lots of highlights. I use Word on my PC. I have not found any useable copy and paste feature within the Kindle Fire android apps.

Special publisher limitations can be found on the ebook page at Amazon. I've never read an ebook with any stated limitations. Even if there were limitations, one could copy all one's notes and highlights on one's PC to Word and then, even if lost, they would still be resident in Word. Mass copying and pasting on a PC is very easy.

Those highlights and notes are fed from my Kindle Keyboard and my Kindle Fire and are synced between that internet site and the other two devices.

If you want the entire eBook open for copying and pasting, open it in Kindle 4 PC on your PC. You can then copy and paste from everywhere without using the Amazon Internet Highlight Site. Then you have no limits whatsoever. When you copy and paste using that method, the reference note to the page and book are also copied with the text. That makes it ideal for research papers.

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-07-2012 at 08:48 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
thetaoofrecovery

Quote:
I've read dozens of Amazon eBooks and never encountered any limits to notes and highlights. Naturally, if you want to copy the entire eBook, that would be a copyright violation. I doubt if anyone has ever seen limits other than that one. The only eBooks I read are all between 600 and 1,000 pages and are all history and biography. I rarely read fiction.

I do my copy and pasting on my PC via that internet site. I only use the Kindle Fire to read the ebooks and use lots of highlights. I use Word on my PC. I have not found any useable copy and paste feature within the Kindle Fire android apps.

Special publisher limitations can be found on the ebook page at Amazon. I've never read an ebook with any stated limitations. Even if there were limitations, one could copy all one's notes and highlights on one's PC to Word and then, even if lost, they would still be resident in Word. Mass copying and pasting on a PC is very easy.

Those highlights and notes are fed from my Kindle Keyboard and my Kindle Fire and are synced between that internet site and the other two devices.

If you want the entire eBook open for copying and pasting, open it in Kindle 4 PC on your PC. You can then copy and paste from everywhere without using the Amazon Internet Highlight Site. Then you have no limits whatsoever. When you copy and paste using that method, the reference note to the page and book are also copied with the text. That makes it ideal for research papers.
Congratulations, but unfortunately for me, the first ebook I purchased imposed such a limitation. I certainly did not attempt to highlight the entire book as you suggest. To further illustrate...on the highlight page itself, the following message is displayed:

You have 267 highlighted passages but we can only show 175 of them. What's this?

Nevertheless, I suppose that I could go through and cut and paste my highlights from the web into a MSWord file, then go back into Kindle Fire and delete those highlights which should then allow the ones that are hidden to sync and display. But my goodness, what an absolute ridiculous effort to have to make for something as simple, forthright, and practical as digital highlighting. Again, it SHOULD NOT be this complicated and convoluted. Not everyone is reading Jackie Collins...some of us do research and writing and would like to be able to do that efficiently. If I wanted to jump through all these hurdles I might do what another in this thread has done and revert to hard copies but that seems to defeat the whole purpose as well!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
Athens80
Connoisseur
Athens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughingAthens80 can shake the floor when laughing

Quote:
Nevertheless, I suppose that I could go through and cut and paste my highlights from the web into a MSWord file, then go back into Kindle Fire and delete those highlights which should then allow the ones that are hidden to sync and display. But my goodness, what an absolute ridiculous effort to have to make for something as simple, forthright, and practical as digital highlighting.... some of us do research and writing and would like to be able to do that efficiently. If I wanted to jump through all these hurdles I might do what another in this thread has done and revert to hard copies but that seems to defeat the whole purpose as well!
To focus the conversation, please note that you are not reporting a shortcoming in highlighting within the Kindle apps. You are reporting a limitation in exporting large amounts of text you have highlighted in at least one Kindle book to other text applications. It is obvious that Kindle provides more digital text exporting than a paper book.

You have stated that you want to export unlimited portions of text from all Kindle books. Sirmaru has proposed that you do that from the Kindle for PC app. Have you considered this?
Athens80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
thetaoofrecovery

It is an option, but again, why have the Kindle at all if I am going to have to sit at the PC and do all of my reading/highlighting? Why allow me to highlight digitally on the KF at all if I can then only utilize those highlights/notes in a very limited way. While focusing on "copyright" issues (a red herring), you are also ignoring the fact that my notes (which are not copyrighted) are also suppressed/rendered non-functional. I suppose there is no problem with the KF itself in this regard if one is satisfied with superfluous features with little to no practical functionality.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:

Thanks for the link. Why does Amazon make it so hard to find these things on their site. I found no link for this info on my 'my account' page. What am I missing?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #14
beej231
Addict

Quote:
It is an option, but again, why have the Kindle at all if I am going to have to sit at the PC and do all of my reading/highlighting? Why allow me to highlight digitally on the KF at all if I can then only utilize those highlights/notes in a very limited way. While focusing on "copyright" issues (a red herring), you are also ignoring the fact that my notes (which are not copyrighted) are also suppressed/rendered non-functional. I suppose there is no problem with the KF itself in this regard if one is satisfied with superfluous features with little to no practical functionality.
I'm not sure the KF was built for quite the amount of productivity that you require.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #15
thetaoofrecovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
I'm not sure the KF was built for quite the amount of productivity that you require.
That's a cop out. The device itself is fully capable of doing this because it is generating the information in a "hidden" file...it has to for it to sync to the web. The problem isn't the "build"/capability of the device but the apparent proprietary concerns of Amazon. The way the files are named...random numbers and letters...supports this fact. If they were named in a recognizable way, it would be possible to simply find a compatible reader of the file type in question and export the material manually (by-passing the limitations imposed on the website - which, by the way, should only be a concern if I have my notes/highlights set to "public").