Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #16
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Regarding the comparison of paper hardcover/paperback vs ebook ARC/final, it works as relates to price and timing. But hardcovers are a final product. ARCs aren't.
The timing is different; I think people often miss that when making the comparison. ARC->finished book is "a few months"; hardback->paperback is most often about a year.

Quote:
Also, I vaguely remember seeing some ARC and other pre-press (pre-proof?) copies of paper books years ago when I worked in a bookstore.
The origin story is that Baen noticed a secondary market in paper ARCs - advance copies for reviews, etc. - being recirculated and snapped up by impatient fans. So they decided to make them available to a wider audience. I think they left the "and we'd like to actually make money from it" part as an exercise for the reader .

Last edited by sourcejedi; 08-02-2011 at 10:00 AM.
sourcejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #17
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
@sourcejedi, origin story, thanks, I didn't know that.

@all. By timing I intended to mean in general that the HC comes first and I have to wait for the MMP. The eARC comes first and I have to wait for the eFinal. The wait may be less time in the case of the eFinal for it to go through editing/proofing. The HC already went through most of that and the timing for paperback release has more to do with paperworld production factors while eworld final production requires less time.

Waiting is all that matters to me because I'm generally impatient and don't like waiting. So for awhile early on many years ago when I could finally afford it, I bought HCs instead of MMPs. Not having to wait was nice. But they used up too much shelf-space so I bit the bullet of waiting and went back to MMPs. If I liked one so much that it started falling apart I replaced it with another copy.

In the case of ARCs, I'd rather wait to read that title in its final form.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-02-2011 at 11:06 AM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #18
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I've only bought one e-ARC, the new Vorkosigan book from Lois M. Bujold because I'd been waiting years for it.

It was a pretty clean copy - I've certainly paid for 'finished' books with more errors in them. It was worth $15 not to wait.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote