Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #121
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkysnoopy View Post
I just sold my t2 and bought a kindle pw . I love my t2 but pw has built in light so I sold t2 .

What I discovered was horrifying because in t2 the browser is lightning fast and I can download or borrow book from my library . In kindle pw I cannot do that , firstly it has to convert to mobi format and I cannot access the Dropbox as easily as my t2 . And the browser in pw still experimental . If anyone says its an advanced ereader , I'll tell them my foot . I really need to get rid of pw , as though the fonts can customized, but when new firmware updated automatically , I need to copy from my PC to pw again . The fonts in pw is super boring . And it's heavy... Feel so tired holding pw for reading , I have no prob with t2 . Yup, if t3 with or without light....I'll get it soon . At least no hassle to open my epubs in the stable and fully functional browser in Sony t1/t2/t3.
These are all things you could have learned about with 15 minutes of research here or on any number of e-reading web sites.

Also, if you want a browser, buy a tablet.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:09 AM   #122
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
Yeah I hate using the browser on my T1 even. I keep wifi turned off. At least you'll get a good price for the pw since they hold their resale value ridiculously well.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #123
kkysnoopy
kkysnoopy began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
I did a research for days before I buy pw . But those reviews are great but they din mention that the browser is experimental .
kkysnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #124
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
I did a research for days before I buy pw . But those reviews are great but they din mention that the browser is experimental .
The web browser has been "experimental" since the Kindle 1st generation. "Experimental" is to lower the expectation. As you already know, beside reading text on it, no much else it does good at all.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #125
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Sooooo you missed the page on the Amazon Kindle website that clearly says experimental browser then. It's right on the product page. Nothing hidden. No secrets.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #126
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Before I bought my T-1 I looked at a lot of video reviews where people were using the browser, so I could see its uses and limitations before making my choice. Youtube is a good place to look for hands-on demonstrations. You do have to pay attention to whether you're viewing a video of the device as-is-out-of-the-box, versus a video of someone's rooted device.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:15 AM   #127
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The e-reader I want isn't out there yet. The Kobo glo light doesn't go low enough (from what I read) and anyway, I've handled it and I didn't like it that much. The PW seems much nicer. But the PW won't handle epubs and the lighting tech remains flaky. I would have got a Nook Glo but again the lighting-tech is flaky.

So that leaves me waiting.

If the Nook Glo screen wasn't prone to breaking, I would have got one. I could have rooted it and run off-the-shelf pdf reading software and Opera mini which allows text-reflow. All with landscape mode! You wouldn't think landscape mode was much too ask...lol. If Nook release an upgraded Glo with a robust screen and the same rootable Android OS, I will buy one. I'm also interested to see what Sony will do.

It's interesting days for a Sony owner looking to upgrade to a lighted-screen. Judging by this thread, I am not alone. Watch this space...

I think the only true indication of an impending Sony release is dropped prices and lack of stock in sony stores. I don't think we are seeing that yet. B&N seems to be selling off hardware cheap, but sadly I suspect that is because they are getting out of the hardware business.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:23 AM   #128
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Before I bought my T-1 I looked at a lot of video reviews where people were using the browser, so I could see its uses and limitations before making my choice. Youtube is a good place to look for hands-on demonstrations. You do have to pay attention to whether you're viewing a video of the device as-is-out-of-the-box, versus a video of someone's rooted device.
A disappointing browser because it does not support text-reflow which I found made it nearly unusable. The only way round it AFAIK is to install Opera Mini, but that means rooting (a dodgy business with the T1, it seems). The occasionally-stock answer of 'You should have bought a tablet' lies somewhere between myopic and moronic.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:48 AM   #129
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
... The Kobo glo light doesn't go low enough (from what I read)...
I recently got a Kobo Glo because I didn't want to wait for another 6 months to find out Sony really isn't coming out with a front-lit reader. In a normally lit room, there's barely a discernible difference on the Glo between the light off and the lowest setting. In a totally dark room, the lowest light is even a bit too dim for me to read by, I have to raise it up a notch.

Either the hardware or the firmware has been improved since they first came out which regulates the light much better. There also are no "cones" at the bottom where the LEDs are either that were first apparent.

It's not a perfect reader by any means, especially when you've been spoiled by an x50 reader. But the light on it is superb, I couldn't ask for any improvement on that aspect of the reader.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #130
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Well no kidding! The 350/650 is what, 3 years old at least? It's older technology of course it's going to be slower than the newest thing out on the market.
I was replying to someone else who said that the x50 series was faster than the Kobo Glo.
Actually I've since compared it again and the 650 seems to perform much better (or maybe my Aura much worse) than before. Perhaps I wasn't timing my touches correctly when I first tried it.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #131
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
My 2+ year old 350s are faster than the Kobo Glo as well. I have noticed that the Kobo Glo isn't consistent on page turns though, and it makes no difference whether it's a full refresh (that shows the flash) or one of the turns without the refresh. Once in a great while it will turn the page quicker than the 350. It seems more like there's a certain amount of lag before the swipe or touch actually starts happening is the best I can describe it. On the 350 the swipe (or touch if you set it) is an instant page turn, whereas you wait for Kobo Glo to realize there's some input happening.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #132
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
A disappointing browser because it does not support text-reflow which I found made it nearly unusable. The only way round it AFAIK is to install Opera Mini, but that means rooting (a dodgy business with the T1, it seems). The occasionally-stock answer of 'You should have bought a tablet' lies somewhere between myopic and moronic.
I use T1 read news website, the text does reflow well. Do you mean newspaper subscription? Most of subscriptions are pdf (not reflowable), not easy to read at all.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #133
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
I use T1 read news website, the text does reflow well. Do you mean newspaper subscription? Most of subscriptions are pdf (not reflowable), not easy to read at all.
I'll try to be clearer. I've since sold the device so it was a while back.

I am referring to browsing general websites such as mobileread for example. I found the browser painful because the font is not resizable. If the font could be resized and the text reflowed it would be usable.

This ability exists in Opera mini. Once the right preferences are set, one can double-tap the screen and the text resizes to a large and readable size and reflows beautifully to fit the actual physical screen size. I could have rooted the T1 to run Opera, but it just sounds too unstable.

Again, this is one of the reasons I would have liked a Nook Glo. I could have run a usable third-party browser and read on it and had a lighted screen. Sadly the screen is flaky.

Last edited by Rizla; 05-07-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:02 AM   #134
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I was replying to someone else who said that the x50 series was faster than the Kobo Glo.
Actually I've since compared it again and the 650 seems to perform much better (or maybe my Aura much worse) than before. Perhaps I wasn't timing my touches correctly when I first tried it.
There's at least a few touches on the video that look simultaneous. They look about even to me. If there is a difference it looks small enough where it wouldn't bother me.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #135
Rizla
Member Retired

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...se/#more-50920

Sony has opened an ebook Australian store. I think we can safely assume that Sony will at least be releasing another e-reader.