Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
QOO
QOO has a spectacular aura aboutQOO has a spectacular aura aboutQOO has a spectacular aura aboutQOO has a spectacular aura aboutQOO has a spectacular aura aboutQOO has a spectacular aura aboutQOO has a spectacular aura aboutQOO has a spectacular aura aboutQOO has a spectacular aura aboutQOO has a spectacular aura aboutQOO has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo vox
Can't get Vox to display some book covers

Kobo support wont help because I did not buy the books through the kobo store.

I've got about 50 books that no matter what I've tried will not load to the vox with an album cover. I can see the cover in calibre. I've removed the covers and changed the covers several times, trying varous levels of resolution.

I have several books whose covers I managed through calibre with a photo cover of 200x300.

Yet for thse 50 odd books, the same size photo will not work. I've tried getting Calibre to get covers but that won't work either (it gets covers but they won't display on the vox)

I've copied artwork directly from the kobo site. The main page displays a cover of 125x??? and that won't display on my vox. If I click on the link through kobo, it takes me to a larger picture that also wont' work.

Nothing is wrong with the file, because the same file loaded into itunes, displays correctly. I have no problem seeing the covers on my ipad.

I bought this vox for my mom and regret the purchase. For all the hours I've spent trouble-shooting this .... I should have just bought her an ipad or playbook.

Any suggestions for an optimal picture size for vox (Kobo will not provide this infromation) or any advice to stop me from going crazy. If I can't figure this out today .... I'm handing the vox back to my mom with missing covers.

QOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by QOO View Post
Kobo support wont help because I did not buy the books through the kobo store.

I've got about 50 books that no matter what I've tried will not load to the vox with an album cover. I can see the cover in calibre. I've removed the covers and changed the covers several times, trying varous levels of resolution.

I have several books whose covers I managed through calibre with a photo cover of 200x300.

Yet for thse 50 odd books, the same size photo will not work. I've tried getting Calibre to get covers but that won't work either (it gets covers but they won't display on the vox)

I've copied artwork directly from the kobo site. The main page displays a cover of 125x??? and that won't display on my vox. If I click on the link through kobo, it takes me to a larger picture that also wont' work.

Nothing is wrong with the file, because the same file loaded into itunes, displays correctly. I have no problem seeing the covers on my ipad.

I bought this vox for my mom and regret the purchase. For all the hours I've spent trouble-shooting this .... I should have just bought her an ipad or playbook.

Any suggestions for an optimal picture size for vox (Kobo will not provide this infromation) or any advice to stop me from going crazy. If I can't figure this out today .... I'm handing the vox back to my mom with missing covers.

Add the "modify epub" plugin to Calibre. The Vox is still reading the original metadata although Calibre looks okay. In the plugin, check off "remove legacy metadata jackets" and "add/replace metadata jacket", "update metadata". Once your books have gone through the plugin, your covers should be okay on the Vox when you reload them.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 12-29-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
QOO
QOO has a spectacular aura aboutQOO has a spectacular aura aboutQOO has a spectacular aura aboutQOO has a spectacular aura aboutQOO has a spectacular aura aboutQOO has a spectacular aura aboutQOO has a spectacular aura aboutQOO has a spectacular aura aboutQOO has a spectacular aura aboutQOO has a spectacular aura aboutQOO has a spectacular aura about

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I saw the plugin on this site earlier but wasn't sure what that was about. will install it and follow your directions!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
QOO

I was all ready to proclaim my undying love for you, but sadly that did not fix it.

I tried two books and moved them over to the device, and both imported without covers.

If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears
Old 12-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, then try this (epub to epub conversion): select one of the problem books in calibre, click on the arrow next to the Convert Books icon, select "Bulk Convert". Click on "epub output" (bottom left of screen) and check off "no SVG cover". Click "ok". If you get the pop-up asking if you want to re-convert, select "yes".
If that doesn't work, I'm all out of ideas...

for the cover size, I usually pick approx. 300 X 500 which is what the Amazon covers usually are when I edit my metadata using the "edit metadata" --> download metadata (or download covers) in the edit metadata pop-up.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 12-29-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
QOO

Thank you - I will give this a try tomorrow. I will let you know it goes!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
QOO

lol @ mulinjohe, same problem? I take comfort in the fact that I am not alone!
Old 12-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by QOO View Post
lol @ mulinjohe, same problem? I take comfort in the fact that I am not alone!
I had the same problem too once upon a time, but fixed it using one of the methods described above... This is not really a Vox problem at all, it showed up on my readers and on my tablet for epubs that had not been "converted" or gone through "modify epub" in Calibre (whether you need to do this or not depends on the book source) .