Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
confusednow
confusednow began at the beginning.

Device: none
Fonts in LRF

Hi. Sorry if this question been asked previously, but couldn't find anything relating to this. I had just placed an order for a PRS650, and its my first ereader, so I do not have much experience on its formating, workings, etc...

I have a question in regards to the conversion of PDF to LRF. I converted some files using Calibre, and I set the font on the LRF to Caecelia, which is not native to the PRS650. I tested the converted LRF file on the Calibre reader, and the font shows up nicely. However, when I do load the file onto the PRS650, will the custom font be used, or will it convert back to Sony's default font? I am aware of posts which tells you how to add new fonts, but think those are more targeted to epubs. I was wondering if I still need to install the font type onto the PRS650 for it to show up on the LRF.

Thanks.
confusednow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur
Jonimeesermann began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e71, Ipod Touch, Sony PRS 300
Embedded font with LRF will works fine in Sony Reader, although it will take a longer time in terms of opening the book and page turn.
Jonimeesermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
confusednow
confusednow began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Jonimeesermann. Thanks for the reply. In thats case, would installing the new font type on the reader solve the longer opening and page turn time?
confusednow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusednow View Post
Hi Jonimeesermann. Thanks for the reply. In thats case, would installing the new font type on the reader solve the longer opening and page turn time?
I don't think you can install new font to the reader "easily", but there is a hack for changing default font used in Sony Reader, but I don't know whether it can be applied for Sony PRS-650.

You may want to consider to embed font to epub format though, there is thread that explain how to do that. AFAIK embedding font in epub doesn't make opening book and page turn slower.

Last edited by Jonimeesermann; 09-20-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

With the 350 and 650 now having faster processors, you might try embedding a font into an LRF via calibre to see how that works out for you. It is the easiest method to try.
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, the question I have is why bother with LRF? There's actually, no benefit with a 350 or a 650 to using LRF. Convert to ePub instead. Embedded fonts with ePub do not slow down page turns. Plus, embedded fonts for ePub are a lot easier. Sometimes when you go to embed a font in LRF, it doesn't work properly. In ePub, if it doesn't work, it can be fixed.

LRF is dead. Let it stay dead.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, the question I have is why bother with LRF? There's actually, no benefit with a 350 or a 650 to using LRF. Convert to ePub instead. Embedded fonts with ePub do not slow down page turns. Plus, embedded fonts for ePub are a lot easier. Sometimes when you go to embed a font in LRF, it doesn't work properly. In ePub, if it doesn't work, it can be fixed.

LRF is dead. Let it stay dead.
I agree, since OP's device is PRS-650, but mine only good ol' PRS-300 which still cannot display epub fully justified. And I prefer my book to be justified, also header footer that indicate author/title and chapter is pretty neat too.

I'd only leave LRF 'till Sony bring firmware update to PRS-300 or when I bought new reader. It seems like I have to saving up again..
Old 09-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimeesermann View Post
I agree, since OP's device is PRS-650, but mine only good ol' PRS-300 which still cannot display epub fully justified. And I prefer my book to be justified, also header footer that indicate author/title and chapter is pretty neat too.

I'd only leave LRF 'till Sony bring firmware update to PRS-300 or when I bought new reader. It seems like I have to saving up again..
The problem you'll have is that if you do upgrade, you'll then have to convert allof your LRF eBooks to ePub and since you are planning on upgrading, going ePub now makes a lot more sense then sticking with a dead format.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #9
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem you'll have is that if you do upgrade, you'll then have to convert allof your LRF eBooks to ePub and since you are planning on upgrading, going ePub now makes a lot more sense then sticking with a dead format.
It doesn't really matter since all of my ebook is already in epub (with exception from MR that I downloaded). But for now, I'll stick to lrf.