Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you believe in Kindle 3 rumors?
Yes 46 49.46%
No 34 36.56%
Depends 13 13.98%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Kindle 3 - do you believe in the rumor? (poll)

Alex digged out a rumor that another Kindle (let's call it Kindle 3) is to be launched this year! It's said to have a bigger screen and to be touch-enabled.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40429

Doesn't it seem unlikely to you that Amazon is going to release another device just so shorty after the Kindle 2 launch?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:08 AM   #2
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I believe in Dragons, Unicorns, elves, Good Men and that the Kindle will have Folders in the next incarnation. And Other Fantasy Creatures.

Last edited by krisk; 02-27-2009 at 08:42 AM.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
No, unless it is a completely different beast than the Kindle 2 (like textbook reader or something). But who knows, I've been wrong before.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Thomas Ryan
Connoisseur
Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Try this analogy:

Steve Jobs is to iPod 'n'th generation as Jeff Bezos is to Kindle 'n'

hint: n is not 2

The question is most likely not "if", but "when" (and "what").

Regarding timing -
Kindle 1 - November launch (missed holidays, ooops)
Kindle 2 - February launch (missed holidays again, ooops)
Kindle history does not follow the typical consumer product retail launch cycle dates. So why assume that there won't be a Kindle 3 at any time this year, next year, tomorrow or whenever? Assuming there is a a Kindle 3, that is.

Last edited by Thomas Ryan; 02-27-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Thomas Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
Count Zero
Count Zero began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Nah, I don't see another Kindle coming out that soon, much less with more advanced features like are claimed. But, then again, what the heck do I know?
Count Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

I'm not so sure I'm happy about touch screen capabilities. I got my first touch screen phone and we don't always see eye to eye. Maybe if it had to be touched with a stylus, and nout just a *touch* I would be happier. hoooboy, my Kitten will really go to town with this one!
Old 02-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
What if you lose your stylus? Won't that make you angry and need to go fetch another one for pretty coins like Wacom Tablet Stylus?
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #8
krisk
Wizard

I know that can be an issue, but several things could be put in place, perhaps a stylus with a little lanyard, the need for the command to be a *point* rather than a *touch*. Something.

My biggest problem with the K1 at the moment is unintended page changes. And not all of them are critter generated.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
K2 solved the unintended page changes problem by making button rotate inward instead of outward. Go play with one and check out the new page turn buttons mechanism.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I dont think there will be another kindle, but if there is. im sure im gonna salavate over that one too and would have to stop browsing amazon again till i get over is. Like i do now..

What the heck am i doing in this forum... i should run away before i think about getting the K2 again.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #11
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
If they can produce a device that is capable of displaying a typical textbook sized page then they have a huge potential market. College students spend a huge amount of money on books every year and this would give Amazon the ability to make major in roads into that market. A huge number of technical manuals are also sold, have you seen the size of the computer section in brick and mortar bookstores lately? The sooner Amazon can address those markets the better. If the hardware is available, which I believe it is, then it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Amazon release a new device this year. Oh yeah, I'll definately be buying one too.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #12
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
No doubt about it....Kindle III in 09
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #13
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

K3? Isn't that a mountain in Nepal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
K2 solved the unintended page changes problem by making button rotate inward instead of outward. Go play with one and check out the new page turn buttons mechanism.
Yep, and also more area to rest your hands. An ergonomic winner all around.

As for "K3," I wonder if Bezos and Plastic Logic are making some kind of deal to make Kindle content work on the upcoming Plastic Logic reader?
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #14
unrequited
Zealot
unrequited doesn't litterunrequited doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 DX
If it's full 8.5x11 (case-sized, not screen sized) meant to do full PDF support? I'd gladly, but begrudgingly ebay my kindle2 so I could pony up the cash for it... I need to be able to carry all of my technical books (Network & Computer stuff) w/me all the time and this would be godsend.
unrequited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #15
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Kindle 3 rumor

I doubt that a new version would come so soon. But not for me! I am totally pleased with my K2 and it does everything I want. Plus a touch screen if pretty iffy with e-ink technology. People who have bought Sony PRS-700 hate it! The screen is thicker so the text is not as sharp as the 505. Since Kindle uses the same technology, I would say, "Buyer beware". The K2's text is so sharp! I can't imagine how that could be improved upon. Now, if the basic browser which I use a lot, was better.............. then I'd be in trouble! LOL
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote