Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 03-28-2008, 12:43 AM   #1
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Collingwood, Harry: The Strange Adventures of Eric Blackburn v1, 27 Mar 2008

There's nothing quite like going out for a nice relaxing cruise, having a meteor crash through your boat and finding yourself shipwrecked on an uncharted isle. As luck would have it, the island happens to be full of war-mongering apes and deadly frog-like creatures that happen to be the size of donkeys.

Everyone knows that pesky killer frogs always end up ruining a good day on uncharted islands. Don't forget to stay away from the watermelon-sized spiders that happen to be everywhere--they have webs strong enough to snare a grown man-child like myself.

Oh yeah, throw in a savage king, some mean pirates and even hidden treasure.

These are the adventures of Eric Blackburn, fourth officer of the ill-fated sailing ship, "U.S.S. Saturn."

I'm always on the look out for a nice "lost world/uncharted land" kinda adventure story and this fits the bill. It's a well-written, fast-paced adventure tale and it makes for some great saturday afternoon reading.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.

Last edited by tsgreer; 03-28-2008 at 12:47 PM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:58 AM   #2
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Thank you for this book. I love old pulp fiction.

I went searching for more information because I like to know the year a book was first published.

I found some great information here:

http://www.athelstane.co.uk/collngwd/ericburn/about.htm

The first edition of this book is dated 1922. The edition used is dated 1922. The publisher was Blackie and Son Limited, London, Glasgow, Bombay. The number of pages is 309.

General information

We found the original publisher’s blurb for this book:

In Chapter I the reader is introduced to Eric Blackburn, fourth officer of the ill-fated “Saturn”, and hero of this story. The s.s. “Saturn” is overtaken in mid-ocean by a sudden and irreparable disaster, Blackburn being the sole survivor. Picked up by a sailing ship, the castaway finds himself elevated to the position of skipper, and joins in a search for hidden treasure. The search is successful, but on its way to port the ship is wrecked on an uncharted island.

Blackburn and the dead captain’s son reach land safely, and while exploring have many adventures and experiences. They become acquainted with a savage king, to whom they render aid in repelling attacks by huge apes which are a continual menace.

The treasure, which they have saved, proves a source of danger when two doubtful characters, former members of Blackburn’s crew, turn up unexpectedly. A settlement is effected, but complications arise and disaster is narrowly averted.

Later, the hero and his companion leave their island home, carrying the treasure with them.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I love the old pulps as well. I'll try to remember to put the publication date in my descriptions. I thought their book description had a wee bit too many spoilers for this book though.

I have been reading this book and I really like it. In fact, I'll be posting more of Collingwood's stuff because I think he's a great writer. I'd never even heard of him before I found this book.

The website you found is a great resource for descriptions of his books. Thanks!
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote