Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 02:12 AM   #106
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I probably won't be buying any of the new Kindles since I have two tablets and a Kindle Keyboard 3G, but the Paperwhite looks very nice. Actually, the Fires look good too.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #107
Dallista
Connoisseur
Dallista doesn't litterDallista doesn't litter

Device: K3, PW
Just to make 100 % sure, the 3G feature on these new devices can't be used to browse the internet in some countries, right? (Like my 3rd gen will let me do outside Europe.) Then, aside from the possibility of buying books from the on-line store when you're outside wi-fi range, which is completely useless to me, I have no reason to get the 3G, I guess. Will order the new wifi Paperwhite via a US address.

I didn't upgrade last year, and my 3rd gen Kindle keyboard still works fine, so that'll be my backup for audio and 3G internet, then.
Dallista is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 02:28 AM   #108
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
I'll buy... None.
Paperwhite looks interesting, but 2GB is not enough for my library, and I don't see any use in 1024%768 pixel (I don't see any pixel on mine). And I want keys to turn the pages!
Fire, nope, the 90s are gone, I will not read on LCD screens anymore.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:33 AM   #109
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Should my 3G Kindle Keyboard have an unfortunate accident, I would be delighted to own a 3G Kindle Paperwhite. I just can't justify buying one now since the K3 still works beautifully.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:18 AM   #110
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I hope to buy my first Kindle when Amazon-Netherlands opens (this fall?) and let us pay with Ideal instead of with creditcard (I don't own a creditcard).
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 05:17 AM   #111
positron
positron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT SO
Came here to see the general opinion about Kindle readers and I agree with majority here.

I wouldn't upgrade my K4 non-touch for the Paperwhite (trying really hard not to type paperweight ) - if I did I think I would miss the page turn buttons.

But on the plus side I am really happy that Amazon is starting to sell them at $69 - that is good value for such a brilliantly useful product. And the paperwhite thing looks lovely - and I can not stop thinking how nice colours would look on such a screen.. so may be that's the next iteration Amazon has in mind? I am perfectly fine with my K4 NT for another year and will see if they release A "PaperColour" Kindle!
positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:32 AM   #112
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
The K4 at $69 is a new version.

Black Bezel
2GB
New text technology
More Fonts
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:59 AM   #113
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Kindle Paperwhite Wifi (ads version most likely) IF I see a credible hands-on comparison that proves that the screen (contrast) is as good as the old one with the backlight layer added.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #114
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The K4 at $69 is a new version.

Black Bezel
2GB
New text technology
More Fonts
I hope those make it to Canada. The non-ad supported ones, I'd happily buy one of those.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:32 AM   #115
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I pre-ordered the PW wifi and the Fire HD 7, but am seriously thinking of dropping the Fire order and keeping only the PW. I have until October 20th I guess to do so, so I am using the time for reflexion
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #116
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Personally I think this issue is better in a poll form.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #117
DianaB
Voracious Reader
DianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kindle Voyage
Kindle Paperwhite WiFi w/ special offers. I haven't used the 3G on my Kindle Keyboard in some time, even when I travel. More airports have free WiFi than they did two years ago, and I can always pre-load books. Also, I prefer to read with the Kindle out of it's case, unless I need the light built into the case. So I'm really looking forward to using the Kindle Paperwhite with higher contrast and a built in light. I may not even buy a case. I hope the page turns really are as fast as they show in the ad.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #118
Zimmy
Connoisseur
Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallista View Post
Just to make 100 % sure, the 3G feature on these new devices can't be used to browse the internet in some countries, right? (Like my 3rd gen will let me do outside Europe.) Then, aside from the possibility of buying books from the on-line store when you're outside wi-fi range, which is completely useless to me, I have no reason to get the 3G, I guess. Will order the new wifi Paperwhite via a US address.

I didn't upgrade last year, and my 3rd gen Kindle keyboard still works fine, so that'll be my backup for audio and 3G internet, then.
No one is saying.
I am thinking it will be the same as the Kindle Touch 3G. Why would they change.

Here are some clues...

For K3 Keyboard type 3G:
$60 premium for 3G instead of the usual $50 (can't be the hardware, it has gotten way cheaper).
I've read every word on the Paperwhite 3G page and it doesn't mention being restricted to the store/wiki - the Touch 3G did.

For Touch type 3G:

Why would they change?
They don't mention browse anywhere on 3G either
After 5+ versions, the browser is still "Experimental" which means they can change their policy anytime they want.

I went ahead and preordered the WiFi version.
The $60 premium is too much and I will have the tethering on my phone anyway.

How they can charge $60 extra to give you the ability to buy from their store is insane to me.

Open it up and restrict non store stuff to 50megs/month is a better solution.
Zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #119
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
probably paperwhite and a larger fire hd. have to look at the specs on the paperwhite more closely to see if it's worth upgrading from the keyboard. paperwhite would need to be 3g as wifi spots are few and spaced out once I get away from home.
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #120
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
error in posting

Last edited by dixieknits; 09-07-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: incorrect wording
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote