Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-20-2012, 03:19 AM   #1
xcllcx
xcllcx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Lightbulb Calibre Server Feature Request

Fairly new to Calibre thus far but I have figured out how to set up my own server to connect when I am away from home. I would really like to be able when using the server webpage to add books individually to a download cart for bulk downloading or add all (authors, tags, etc) in a batch download option with a user defined format preference (mobi only). In essence streamlining the selecting/downloading process. ~ Has this been considered or in development?

Really impressed thus far, btw I find it amazing how the e-reader device providers can't hold a candle to calibre in ebook management. Thanks again.

X
xcllcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Have you considered just using a download manager? That would be a lot simpler than having to do all this server-side.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
xcllcx
xcllcx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Good point

*slaps forehead* That's a great suggestion - I completely forgot about that option. But that doesn't help when selecting/searching books using the kindle browser. Any suggestions while using the kindle?

X
xcllcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:28 AM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Yes, well, I don't think a download cart would be of much use to most e-ink devices anyway. The most likely method to implement the cart you're requesting is to put all the selected books in a single zip archive which you can download when you check out. I'm not sure if the Kindle would know how to handle a bunch of MOBI files inside a ZIP file or if it even has enough processing power and memory to handle such a task. My PRS-350 hanged while viewing a catalog of my library created with Calibre (700KB ncx file).

If not that, then another possible option would be to use the Send-to-Kindle E-mail feature.

That said, a download all feature is something that should be implemented on the reader/client and not the server (at least for ebooks). I realize this is quite difficult to implement for normal websites which often have complex layouts and links but I think OPDS, with its clearly defined mime-types, should be doable even with the feeble hardware found on most e-ink readers.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote