Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 05-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
Goyo415
Goyo415 began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
(How) Can I use caliber to download this forum to my Libre Pro

Okay, I just got the Libre Pro from the deal at Frys, and I've got some of that new toy enthusiasm for it.

To experiment with it, I'd like to download this forum to the Libre Pro using Caliber. Anyone have directions or the code written to do that?
Goyo415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Download this forum???
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
GrouchoM
Enthusiast
GrouchoM began at the beginning.

Device: none
hahaha, wth. the only way you can do that is by taking screen caps. I don't think ebook readers support html or any other coding. Funny post though.
GrouchoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Well...you can save a thread, like this one, using your browser. I just did it using XP's
Outlook Express by clicking on the "File" tab then selecting "Edit with Notepad". Of
course the saved .htm file is just a .txt file without the graphics. If you select "Save
As" you will have several other ways to save the web page.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
theinternetftw
theinternetftw began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
I doubt that calibre can handle automatically doing that by itself. You could write a script to do it though, the way I'd set up the output would be one txt file per thread, with folders made for the categories. It'll take a little effort to get it the way you want it, but if you have a little coding knowledge, it shouldn't be much trouble.

Edit: If you do make this, you can probably generalize it (it may already be generalized) for any phpBB based forum. That'd be a pretty cool tool, tell us how it goes.

One more edit: Here's a starting place for including this in calibre, the script'll have to be python based: http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...ml#term-recipe

Last edited by theinternetftw; 05-09-2010 at 03:34 PM.
theinternetftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
Well, since epub is zipped html, all one would need to do is download the current snapshop of the forum in html, zip it, rename it .epub and voila!

probably something along the lines of
Code:
wget -m -w 5 --force-html http://mobileread.com/forums
this would probably be a major traffic drain on mobileread, so not very advisable
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Or you can use "Thread tool" at the top of this thread and "download" a text copy to your PC where you can do whatever you want with it.

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Not a great answer, but for selected threads (you have to select each), you could

- create an account at Instapaper.com,
- install the "Read Later" button in your browser's toolbar,
- click "Read Later" for each thread you want to get on your reader.
- finally, click the ePub icon in your Instapaper account where those threads are stored ("Unread", "Starred", or "Archive") and the threads will be downloaded in one ePub file.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:24 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyo415 View Post
To experiment with it, I'd like to download this forum to the Libre Pro using Caliber. Anyone have directions or the code written to do that?
This is an excellent question. Calibre can easily grab an rss feed, download it on a scheduled basis, convert it to the format of your choice and automatically upload it to your device upon the device being connected.

It doesn't look as if Mobileread provides any rss feed beyond the main page.

It is possible to create more complicated recipes for Calibre to scrape web sites. Ask this question in the Custom recipes part of the Calibre forum for a more detailed response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoM View Post
I don't think ebook readers support html or any other coding. Funny post though.
Many ebook formats (ePub, Mobi, Lit) are html inside some wrapper. So most all ereaders support html in some form. You can schedule Calibre to download thousands of Newspapers, Magazines and websites in the ebook format of your choice so this was not a funny post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg432 View Post
Or you can use "Thread tool" at the top of this thread and "download" a text copy to your PC where you can do whatever you want with it.
Thanks for pointing this out. I don't know if I'll ever need it but it is nice to know that it exists. Karma awarded.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote