Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
cs2501
cs2501 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I need info on the DR1000s for "searching with in" .pdf files

Hey all,

I'm a classics major. That basically means I have to carry wayyyy to many books around with me. I already scan books and read them on my tablet pc, but I have to read A LOT (300-500 pages a week). So... I want to get a digital reader, but it MUST be able to run searches.

I just deal with way too much information to not be able to search it. Lets put it this way, eye strain with search is better for me than no eye strain with no search. Heck, having my fingers shocked, smashed or bitten by wild animals with a search function is better than no eye strain with no search for me.

SO! I DESPERATELY (please? ) need some in-depth information on how well the 1000s can search with in a file. I use OCR programs on my scanned books, so I am not real sure which format would be best on the 1000s. I typically use it in .doc or .pdf . I really am not sure which would be the best format for running "in document" searches on a e-reader. I know the illiad and the 1000s are the two best out there, but I am un-sure how "dependable" the search feature is.

Can someone please enlighten me?
cs2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:59 AM   #2
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
pdf search iLiad: no
doc search iLiad: maybe with abiword installed (but I dont find it comfortable to work with abiword on iLiad)

pdf search DR1000: yes
doc search DR1000: no (there is even no viewer for it)

The pdf search of the DR1000 is quite nice and fast.

I think FBreader which can be installed both on DR1000 and iLiad can do a search.

If you decide between iLiad and DR1000: Do you often read documents in Letter or A4 format? Then its the DR1000.

Gogolo

Last edited by Gogolo; 12-19-2008 at 04:02 AM.
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2008, 04:46 AM   #3
cs2501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
Do you often read documents in Letter or A4 format? Then its the DR1000.

Gogolo

I have a scanner (50 pages a Min. 200 sheet feeder) and I use Omni Page to format them. So, i can put them in any format I want.

Since I am not format dependent, would the Iliad work just as well?

More questions about the search.
-Does it tab up, or what does it look like?
-How do you go between instances of a word?
-Can you book mark, or make some "break" where I can get back to that instance quickly?

Thanks
Old 12-19-2008, 07:39 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
300-500 pages a week is "a lot"? And that's for a literature major?...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs2501 View Post
I just deal with way too much information to not be able to search it. Lets put it this way, eye strain with search is better for me than no eye strain with no search.
The Kindle is the only current ebook reader that does search across all your content, not just the current document. The downsides are its 6" screen and the fact that essentially its only format is MOBI, so you have to convert your PDFs to MOBI (Amazon will do this via e-mail, or you can use Windows MobiPocket Reader). Note that Amazon is likely to produce a larger screen "student" ebook reader next year, and it will presumably have full device search like the Kindle.

On the iLiad and the DR1000S, FBReader can search the current document but it can't bookmark. It supports MOBI and RTF. I'm not sure what the Java MobiPocket Reader can do on the iLiad and the DR1000S, but it may be able to search and bookmark. So converting (text) PDFs to MOBI may be advantageous here too.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
cs2501

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Note that Amazon is likely to produce a larger screen "student" ebook reader next year, and it will presumably have full device search like the Kindle.

Thanks,

Yeah, I don't like the tiny low quality screen, but I have heard about the new "student kindle". I think I'm going to just buy a huge back pack and hold off on buying anything until I see some more e-readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
It is more or less ancient literature, history and language. So, lots of history books, ancient literature and language (Greek & Latin) study.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #7
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Quote:
Are you serious about this comment?

I do not think the amount of read pages makes the inventive mind.

Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:29 PM   #8
cs2501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
Are you serious about this comment?

I do not think the amount of read pages makes the inventive mind.

Gogolo
I am not even kind of joking I am a very fast reader though. Another turn off to e-ink is the slow page flip speed. I should not give out my school's name, but when Princeton, Cambridge, Yale or any other top name school is having trouble, they call us

I don't think I'm supposed to be having an inventive mind, just one that is able to remember stupid amounts of information and spit it back out.

Last edited by cs2501; 12-19-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:54 AM   #9
Senkrad_Luna
Senkrad_Luna began at the beginning.

Device: ds1000s hopeful
Quote:
I don't think I'm supposed to be having an inventive mind, just one that is able to remember stupid amounts of information and spit it back out.
Ah, yes! The education system in a nut shell. If it were less common it might be funny.
Senkrad_Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #10
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Quote:
phhhh.....so true, so boring.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:19 AM   #11
cs2501

Well , there are merits to memorizing Masaive amounts of infoation. I think the higher the bar is set interns of general knowlage about what ever feild you plan on entering..:: the better equipped you will be when you reach the graduate level. In graduate school I do agree creativity and personal development is paramount..
Old 12-25-2008, 04:22 AM   #12
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Quote:
Well , there are merits to memorizing Masaive amounts of infoation. I think the higher the bar is set interns of general knowlage about what ever feild you plan on entering..:: the better equipped you will be when you reach the graduate level. In graduate school I do agree creativity and personal development is paramount..
not imo, you can learn many diverging, fragmented, wide ranging sorts of information and yet develop your critical thinking at a minimal level...as if most of those bozos that teach all the lectures have some sort of clear picture of each field, they just know their particular sub-sub-sub specialty and that's about it. Eventually in graduate level you ll only have to learn your own sub sub sub specialty and all the other enormous amounts of infromation they've been forcing down your throat will be completely irrelevant....been there, done that...it is a miracle how in most demanding schools, and these are a few, very few, they don't stifle your creativity completely by the time you get to graduate school.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote