Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLuecking View Post
Thanks alot for updating the patches, so I have a highly readable page layout.

I would like to configure it with values for the footer like this:

# Example for AuraHD/H2O:
replace_string = D54355, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 60px;`
replace_string = D54368, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 60px;`
replace_string = D54385, `footerMargin: 40;`, `footerMargin: 20;`
replace_string = D5439F, `font-size: 16px;`, `font-size: 26px;`
replace_string = D543B1, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom: 22px;`
replace_string = D543C7, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top: 0px;`

But I get the error message:

Ignoring disabled patch `Disable reading footer`
replace_string replacement too long.

How can I get around it?
Looking at what you are trying to do, the `padding-bottom: 22px;` is trying to replace `padding-bottom: 0px;`. I'd suspect the maximum there would be 9px unless you remove the space so the replacement string would be `padding-bottom:22px;`.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #32
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
To reduce the top margin of the footer you can acually use negative values.
Below are mine values for this patch section.
Code:
# Example for Glo/Aura:
replace_string = D54355, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 20px;`
replace_string = D54368, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 20px;`
replace_string = D54385, `footerMargin: 40;`, `footerMargin: 00;`
replace_string = D5439F, `font-size: 16px;`, `font-size: 16px;`
replace_string = D543B1, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom: 0px;`
replace_string = D543C7, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top:-5px;`
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #33
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
To reduce the top margin of the footer you can acually use negative values.
Below are mine values for this patch section.
Code:
# Example for Glo/Aura:
replace_string = D54355, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 20px;`
replace_string = D543B1, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom: 0px;`
replace_string = D543C7, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top:-5px;`
I'm trying this but I get an error.
Turning it to 0 works OK.
The whole patch looks like this:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Custom reading footer style`
patch_enable = `yes`
replace_string = D54344, `ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;\n\tmax-height: 70px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 40;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[qApp_deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tmin-height: 82px;\n\tmax-height: 82px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 15;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[qApp_deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tmin-height: 120px;\n\tmax-height: 120px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 20;\n}\n\n* {\n\tfont-size: 16px;\n}\n\n[qApp_deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n[qApp_deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tfont-size: 26px;\n}\n\n[qApp_localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}`, `ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;\n\tmax-height: 70px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 40;\n}\n\n* {\n\tfont-size: 16px;\n\tpadding-bottom: 0px;\n\tmargin-top: 0px;\n\t/*font-family:none;*/\n}\n\n[qApp_localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}`
#
# Uncomment the replace_string lines of one of the examples below, comment out
# the rest. If you choose to make further changes to the examples, BE CAREFUL
# NOT TO ALTER THE LENGTH OF THE REPLACEMENT STRINGS! (Add or remove spaces if
# necessary to keep the total length the same.)
#
# Example for Touch/Mini:
#replace_string = D54355, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 32px;`
#replace_string = D54368, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 32px;`
#replace_string = D54385, `footerMargin: 40;`, `footerMargin: 40;`
#replace_string = D5439F, `font-size: 16px;`, `font-size: 16px;`
#replace_string = D543B1, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom: 4px;`
#replace_string = D543C7, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top: 0px;`
#
# Example for Glo/Aura:
replace_string = D54355, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 10px;`
replace_string = D543B1, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom: 3px;`
replace_string = D543C7, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top: -5px;`
#
#replace_string = D54355, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 50px;`
#replace_string = D54368, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 50px;`
#replace_string = D54385, `footerMargin: 40;`, `footerMargin: 20;`
#replace_string = D5439F, `font-size: 16px;`, `font-size: 26px;`
#replace_string = D543B1, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom: 8px;`
#replace_string = D543C7, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top: 0px;`
#
# Uncomment one of the following if you wish the footer to use a fixed font.
# (And enable the Custom header style patch below using the same font.)
#
#replace_string = D543D9, `/*font-family:none;*/`, `font-family:  Amasis;`
#replace_string = D543D9, `/*font-family:none;*/`, `font-family:  Avenir;`
replace_string = D543D9, `/*font-family:none;*/`, `font-family: Georgia;`
#
</Patch>
Can you see what am I doing wrong?

UPDATE: Never mind, I found it.
Didn't see that you replaced the space with the minus symbol.

Last edited by embryo; 09-23-2014 at 12:38 PM.
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:05 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I assume you didn't try the patch?
I use the body tag all the time to define (force) the default values of many selectors, including margin and padding (both set to 0).

I tried it once more:
These values (25) shifts the screen (viewport) to the right:
Code:
replace_int = 957626, 0, 25
# Top margin
replace_int = 95762A, 0, 01
</Patch>
These values (01 or 00) postion the viewport to the center:
Code:
# Left margin
replace_int = 957626, 0, 01
# Top margin
replace_int = 95762A, 0, 01
</Patch>
If you take a closer look at the initial values of the patch you'll notice that the defaults are 21 (left), and 22 (top). This causes the viewport being off center.
Code:
# Initial replaces
replace_bytes = 957626, 19 46, 00 21
replace_bytes = 95762A, 1A 46, 00 22
Just to post this hear because it really does belong here. And so I'll know it's here when I get my H2O and can adjust the patch correctly if firmware 3.8.0 is still current.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:30 AM   #35
indyglow
Connoisseur
indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.

Device: iPad Air, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
"Margin fine tuning" patch on Aura HD (3.8.0) had no effect for me and kepubs sideloaded with calibre continue to have "text cut-off" problem on the right margin. Any solution?
indyglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #36
baochan
Enthusiast
baochan doesn't litterbaochan doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Pyrus Mini
Out of curiosity, is there a practical reasoning behind the .patch files using `backticks` instead of 'single' or "double" quotes? Or just a stylistic choice?
baochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:37 PM   #37
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baochan View Post
Out of curiosity, is there a practical reasoning behind the .patch files using `backticks` instead of 'single' or "double" quotes? Or just a stylistic choice?
The original kpg.conf files used backquotes, so for compatibility I did the same with the patch32lsb program. I'm not sure why backquotes were used, but it might be to simplify the parsing of strings which contain single or double quotes, which many of the CSS fragments do.

Edit: The original and replacement strings can use single or double quotes as delimiters, but in that case you need to escape any instance of the delimiter that appears in the string. e.g.
Code:
replace_string = ABCDEF, `class="p0"`, `class="p1"`
would need to be written like this if using double quotes as delimiters:
Code:
replace_string = ABCDEF, "class=\"p0\"", "class=\"p1\""

Last edited by GeoffR; 09-24-2014 at 11:55 PM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #38
baochan
Enthusiast
baochan doesn't litterbaochan doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Pyrus Mini
Thought it was something like that, not having to escape strings makes sense, especially in something designed for laymen. Thanks for putting this together! It worked great.
baochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can we get someone to please sticky this until the next firmware is released? Thanks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:19 PM   #40
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
I patched with Custom reading footer style and I am getting a big space between text and footer still. I tried a few different settings and none would get rid of the space. I'm using a sideloaded epub.

Code:
replace_string = D54355, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 56px;`
replace_string = D54368, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 56px;`
replace_string = D543B1, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom: 8px;`
These are settings I'm using in the picture. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141006_191123.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	563.8 KB
ID:	129315  
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #41
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzir View Post
I patched with Custom reading footer style and I am getting a big space between text and footer still. I tried a few different settings and none would get rid of the space. I'm using a sideloaded epub.

Code:
replace_string = D54355, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 56px;`
replace_string = D54368, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 56px;`
replace_string = D543B1, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom: 8px;`
These are settings I'm using in the picture. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
There is no guarantee that a given page will end at the bottom of the screen. I find just reading through a book and see where the lowest last line falls works. I've attached two samples from The Jargon File selected so there was no paragraph break at the bottom of the page involved.

The patcher settings used were:
Code:
replace_string = D54355, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 50px;`
replace_string = D54368, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 50px;`
replace_string = D543B1, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom: 6px;`
#
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screencap1.png
Views:	403
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	129316   Click image for larger version

Name:	screencap2.png
Views:	407
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	129317  

Last edited by DNSB; 10-06-2014 at 10:48 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:34 PM   #42
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
I've tried multiple books and dozens of pages and there is always room for at least one more line of text and most pages have room for two.

Thanks for looking into this anyway, maybe I'll just turn the footer off until Koreader or Coolreader are working on the H2O.
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:35 AM   #43
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzir View Post
I've tried multiple books and dozens of pages and there is always room for at least one more line of text and most pages have room for two.
Perhaps the book has the bottom margin set in CSS with @page, or in the .xpgt file? If so then this margin will be added to the space between the footer and the bottom of the text.

You could try using a negative value for margin-top in the patch, but since different publishers use different sized margins the best thing is to delete any .xpgt file in the book and replace the publisher's @page margins with your own. The Modify Epub plugin can do both of these things easily.

Edit: The other cause of extra blank lines could be the orphans/widows settings in the book. You can enable the `fix page breaks bug` patch to prevent orphans/widows processing for all books, or edit each book to set orphans:1;widows:1; in the CSS (or replace the publisher's settings, if any). The KoboTouch driver in calibre can be set up to do this automatically as the books are sent to the device.

Edit2: The other thing to check is whether you are using the "Document Default" font setting. If so then the font used for the footer will be Gothic, which sits very low on the line and gives the effect of extra padding above the line. Try selecting a font such as Georgia or Avenir instead of Document Default and see if that makes a difference. (You can also force a different font to be used in the footer even when Document Default is selected by uncommenting one of the font-family lines in the footer patch).

Last edited by GeoffR; 10-07-2014 at 10:55 AM. Reason: note about Document Default font using Gothic for footer
Old 10-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #44
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
I would like to patch my new H2O but am having difficulty and would appreciate some help.

I get this error:

Lyns-iMacatch_kobo_38 Lyn$ ./3.8.0.sh
Extracting files to patch from 3.8.0_source/kobo-update-3.8.0.zip ...
x ./usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0
x ./usr/local/Kobo/librmsdk.so.1.0.0
x ./usr/local/Kobo/libadobe.so
Read 16256228 bytes from input file '/var/folders/bz/7qr21g_96kg_9rwdw85sph140000gn/T/patch32lsb_XXXXXXXX.1fwffCnW/original/./usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0'
Ignoring disabled patch `Disable reading footer`
Applied patch `Custom reading footer style`
Ignoring disabled patch `Custom header style for Touch`
Ignoring disabled patch `Custom header style for Mini`
Ignoring disabled patch `Custom header style for Glo/Aura/AuraHD/H2O`
Applied patch `My 15 line spacing values`
tools/patch32lsb-Darwin: line 167 in '3.8.0_source/libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch': replace_int mismatched data.
Cleaning up /var/folders/bz/7qr21g_96kg_9rwdw85sph140000gn/T/patch32lsb_XXXXXXXX.1fwffCnW
Lyns-iMacatch_kobo_38 Lyn$

However, I can't see anything wrong with line 167. Can anyone shed some light on this please?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	libnickel.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	129328  
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #45
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
However, I can't see anything wrong with line 167. Can anyone shed some light on this please?
In the example libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch line 167 looked like this:
Code:
replace_int = CB4AFC, 24, 31
But in your patch the 24 has been changed to 23, which is causing the mismatch.

In general the replacement lines in a patch look like:
Code:
replace_int = ADDRESS, ORIGINAL, REPLACEMENT
Only the REPLACEMENT values should be changed, the ADDRESS and ORIGINAL values must stay as they are.