Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
PDF viewing on iPad

For those of you that have received your iPads, how is the pdf viewing? I have a couple of magazines that I like to read and they are published as pdf files. They don't work well on most of the ereaders since they are very picture intensive and most of the ereaders don't have the horsepower. Typical file sizes are around 50MB.

Is there a way to load pdf's on the device other than through email? Can you copy them over via itunes? Will your reading place be saved when moving out to another application? Is it similar to reading a book in iBooks with pages or is it more like viewing a file with continuous scrolling? Thanks for any insight.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'd like to hear this too... however, since Safari supports PDF internally I expect it is possible to view them. My question would be... how do you get to them. Will you need to set up a web server with your PDFs on it so that you can access them with the Safari on the iPad?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I know there are some iphone apps that basically include a webserver that will let you copy from you pc to the iphone over a wifi network. I'm just not sure how well they will work on the ipad or if any of them have been optimized yet for the ipad. I was also curious whether the Kindle app will support pdf viewing. Hopefully someone will be able to give some answers as they play with their new ipads.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
There's a free pdf viewer that I've yet to download. Why don't you send me a link to a pdf that you might worry would have issues -- and I can check it out for you.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I'm interested here too. Having to view a pdf served from the web was one of the criticisms levelled against the JooJoo vs the iPad. I'd be surprised if the iPad has the same issue.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I have not yet been able to load a pdf from my computer to the iPad. I have iBooks and the iPDF app installed. In one attempt iTunes crashed. If anyone finds out how to do this please let us know.

ePub transfer has been trouble free.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I daresay it'll be in a future iTunes/iBooks release if it isn't there now. The conduit's there. Someone else said that iTunes was seeing pdfs as albums by Unknown Artists at the moment.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
I have not yet been able to load a pdf from my computer to the iPad. I have iBooks and the iPDF app installed. In one attempt iTunes crashed. If anyone finds out how to do this please let us know.

Can you view a PDF with the browser that is online?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #9
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Can you view a PDF with the browser that is online?

BOb
Yes. And you can copy that pdf as a bookmark to the home screen but it is not on the iPad, simply a link the file so if not wifi connected - too bad!
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
cjs703
cjs703 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cjs703 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cjs703 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cjs703 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cjs703 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360
So far the easiest and best solution to reading a PDF on the iPad for me has been to buy GoodReader. I paid $1, but apparently that is a special price. It has the capability of saving the PDFs locally on the iPad and will let you download them from your Dropbox, from the web, or by uploading them over WiFi. It's really a bummer that I can't just drop a PDF into iTunes and read it that way. The other way is to either browse over the web in Safari, or email a PDF to yourself and view it in mail.app.
cjs703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #11
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post

If you transfer an unencrypted ePub book does in show up in the same place as if you purchased an encrypted ePub book from Apple?
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
sciredz
Enthusiast
sciredz began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs703 View Post
So far the easiest and best solution to reading a PDF on the iPad for me has been to buy GoodReader. I paid $1, but apparently that is a special price. It has the capability of saving the PDFs locally on the iPad and will let you download them from your Dropbox, from the web, or by uploading them over WiFi. It's really a bummer that I can't just drop a PDF into iTunes and read it that way. The other way is to either browse over the web in Safari, or email a PDF to yourself and view it in mail.app.

I have used Goodreader on the Ipod Touch. Does Goodreader run
perfect on the Ipad with no course resolution in the images?
sciredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #13
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
I downloaded goodreader PDF reader for iPad ($0.99) and is amazing. it even reflows pdf although it says its experimental. although if you have a PDF file with lot of white space around all the four corners I'd recommend you to crop it to make the experience better. Adobe acrobat does that but I don't know of any other tool. On the side note goodreader also allows you to download docs from most of the cloud service like google docs, box.net, dropbox etc and some more. overall I am more than happy with my iPad. with every minute I am discovering something amazing about the device.

here is the link:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goodr...363448914?mt=8

Last edited by sachinwalia; 04-03-2010 at 06:04 PM.
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #14
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinwalia View Post
if you have a PDF file with lot of white space around all the four corners I'd recommend you to crop it to make the experience better. Adobe acrobat does that but I don't know of any other tool.
You can use ImageMagick (free program) to crop white space from a pdf. The command is something like:
convert -fuzz 15% -bordercolor white -trim input.pdf output.pdf

Or if you want to crop a lot of pdfs at once, copy all of them to another directory, open a command prompt in this new directory and run:
mogrify -fuzz 15% -bordercolor white -trim *.pdf
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #15
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
There is a list of 41+ questions and answers on this site:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...ions-answered/

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...ions-answered/

Both documents are a bit old, but it seems like Apple desires to sell you Pages or the iWork suite to interchange documents between your computer and iPad.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pages/id361309726?mt=8

Beware the one-way street features of the above.

In a few days, we'll see what alternatives people come up with. I'll wait for the jailbreak solution, if there are no low cost apps to view and modify certain folders in the iPad filesystem.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote