Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2010, 03:39 AM   #31
janerol
janerol began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Sony ereader reply

Thanks for everyones help I have now got it all sorted, but it would help if all the different componants needed to get you going had a half way decent instructions, very frustrating when people sell these readers and do not know any of the basics, but once again thanks to all who replied

Regards

John
janerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:47 AM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by janerol View Post
Thanks for everyones help I have now got it all sorted, but it would help if all the different componants needed to get you going had a half way decent instructions, very frustrating when people sell these readers and do not know any of the basics, but once again thanks to all who replied

Regards

John
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #33
jen6060
Connoisseur
jen6060 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 (given away); Sony prs300; Nook
Hi - I'm sorry. I have the same problem as Baltic and would like to know how it was fixed. I used to have Sony 505, and that was not prob at all. authorised to Adobe ID, could link to calibre, and sony library. Now I bought a 300. In my Vista computer at home, i could get ADE to link to the 300. But i cant seem to do that from the office computer. The ADE can't detect any device, and the same is happening with calibre. I wonder if it's bec the sony software in the set up phase, does prompt you to use Sony library by default to open up epub files?
Anyway unless i can find a solution, looks like i'm stuck with using my home computer, which is better than nothing.
I also can't seem to link the ADE now in the office to my adobe ID, although i've tried uninstalling/reinstalling.
Am looking for Sony reader troubleshooting guide elsewhere in forum! thanks so much for any advice or just reading!
jen6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:17 AM   #34
baltic
baltic began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader
Hi Jen

I'm not sure it is exactly the same problem but there is a limit on the number of authorisations you can have and bear in mind that the ereader and the computer each count as one. If you had a reader previously and you are linking two readers to two computers you might be over the limit. Plus I get the impression that I used up some authorisations when I tried deauthorising and reauthorising. Adobe can fix this if you go through their web based support.

I had a stage when I was going through the process of sorting my problem out when ADE would not recognise the reader but using the key stroke combination CTRL-SHIFT-E forced it to recognise it. I don't know if this would help.

You don't say why you need to authorise to two computers. This wasn't an issue for us as my daughter only used her reader on her own laptop. We did think about trying to link my reader to her computer so that I could share her purchased books (which I would be able to do if she had purchased hard copy) but I haven't got round to that as I mainly read classics which are out of copyright and free to download. I would need to make sure that we had the same Adobe ID and it has been in the all too difficult category so far
baltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #35
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
What I can't understand is why we can't either authorize the reader on the UK site. Under 'your account' there should be the option, but it isn't there. Register - sure, but not authorize. which seems bananas.

And since I'm on a Mac, I can't get Adobe to recognise my reader. Bought books will load into ADE and the free classics from the Sony site, UK, download into the library. But I can't get everything to come together. I can't get the bought books out of ADE and onto the reader, and neither can I get them to open in the library - sigh.

Thank god for Manybooks.net and the wonderful array here, and Calibre. But I'd like to buy a couple of books occasionally and still can't work out how to do it.

Guess I'll have to go through a windows comp - but then I'm worried I'll have multiple profiles with adobe since ADE is up an running on my MAC. I'm really lost here.

Pangolin - feeling particularly scaley

Last edited by Pangolin; 02-28-2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: tyyypos
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 03:56 PM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
And since I'm on a Mac, I can't get Adobe to recognise my reader.
Did you install the Sony library software?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #37
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
I could use some help... please? I gave my sister my Sony 505 and told her how easy it was to add books. Grrrrrr not when it comes to library books! I've been connecting remotely to her PC to try to determine the problem.

I can download an ebook but it wasn't opening in anything - nothing I tried worked. After much troubleshooting, I decided to uninstall the Sony reader software, ADE and Calibre. After reinstalling ADE and confirming it was authorized, I found that the .acsm file had no file association. I associated it with ADE. Finally, I can download the book and it will open in ADE. I didn't know how else to force the book to open.

Now the problem is, I can't for the life of me figure out how to transfer the book to the reader. I have both ADE and the Reader programs open but can't find any way to move the book. What am I supposed to see? How is a book transferred?

I told her we now need to check the reader and be sure it is also authorized but I'm not sure how to do this. Do I need to CTL+ ALT+ E to deauthorize the reader and then reauthorize it?

I'd appreciate advise or suggestions before she starts to cry
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #38
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
Now the problem is, I can't for the life of me figure out how to transfer the book to the reader. I have both ADE and the Reader programs open but can't find any way to move the book. What am I supposed to see? How is a book transferred?
What OS are you using?

Generally you should be able to just copy the book from the hard drive to the device using Windows Explorer or Finder.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #39
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
You have to have a USB driver successfully installed on a Windows system. If you have one, you will be able to see the reader as a removable disk - and you can use normal file copy to move your books to it. If you can't see the removable disk - don't bother running ADE or Sony Library - they won't be able to see it either. Fix your USB connection problem first. The USB driver is installed by ADE install or Sony Library install.

I really recommend uninstalling both ADE and Sony, and download the current version of ADE directly from the Adobe site. It is usable without ever installing Sony Library.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #40
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hmm I'll check tomorrow to see if I can find the epub files on her PC. Honestly, I didn't think of that since I was trying to follow the library's walkthrough. Not sure it will work since I'm having a light bulb moment - her reader must not be using the same ADE authorization number.

To transfer Adobe eBooks using Adobe Digital Editions…

1. Open Adobe Digital Editions.
2. Click on the Adobe eBook you want to transfer.
3. Drag the Adobe eBook to the eBook device icon in the left pane of Adobe Digital Editions.
The 'Copy Documents' dialog box is displayed and the title is transferred.
When transfer is complete the 'Copy Documents' dialog box closes. You can now disconnect the eBook device and enjoy the eBook on-the-go.

Note that to transfer Adobe eBooks to a supported eBook device, Adobe Digital Editions and the eBook device must be activated using the same Adobe ID.

She is running the hateful Vista. She must have upgraded to it because she has two Programs folders - one called Program Files and one called (x86) Program Files. The reason for uninstalling everything was because I considered that she might have some of her reader software programs installed in different Program folders.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #41
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I should add I am running Vista 64 - and I love it. No trouble at all with ADE, Sony Library (mostly unused), or Calibre.

Robert
Old 03-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #42
Katelyn
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm200 View Post
You have to have a USB driver successfully installed on a Windows system. If you have one, you will be able to see the reader as a removable disk - and you can use normal file copy to move your books to it. If you can't see the removable disk - don't bother running ADE or Sony Library - they won't be able to see it either. Fix your USB connection problem first. The USB driver is installed by ADE install or Sony Library install.

I really recommend uninstalling both ADE and Sony, and download the current version of ADE directly from the Adobe site. It is usable without ever installing Sony Library.

Robert
I understand how to use USB, the reader, etc. and have owned more readers than I care to admit. The problem is only with library loaner books. They requires ADE, OverDrive and Sony Reader software (maybe I can skip Sony software if I can drop the files on the reader but still not sure it will work with these books. I'll know tomorrow). See this page at the library site. The book starts as a .acsm file until it's downloaded into ADE.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #43
rmm200
Groupie

Too many problems - one thread... Someone else had no device found.

If your Sony device is authorized to ADE, it appears as a bookshelf in the left hand library view.

You can drag books from any bookshelf, and drop them on the PRS-600 etc. icon and they will be copied to the device.

Robert
Old 03-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #44
Steph1
Steph1 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-350
SONY PS-350

I appreciate that this thread was from sometime ago but I have the same problem Did your daughters issues get resolved, I have purchased a new computer and downloaded e books before loading ADE I also didnt realise that I already had a ADE ID and created a new one so keeps telling me my PC not authorised to see the books ive donwloaded, also cant see any of the previous books that I purchased via the old PC before it packed up. contacted ADOBE support and they have been pretty useless spent hours on this now. I think after reading the issue here its clearly becvause i downloaded the books before authorising my pc to ADE and because I created a new ID everything has got confused. I have constantly asked ADOBE to check the previous ID used and delete the new ID I set up, but they keep just sending me instructions on how to reset i.e deathorise and reauthorise this does not work and when I try it know it states to many activations. Would anyone agree that I need the erroneous ID deleted and the original re-set. I would then probably have to contact WHSMITHS to ask them to resend the order so I can start from scratch. Would any one have any other suggestions. Thanks in advance. Steph Arnold
Steph1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #45
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph1 View Post
I appreciate that this thread was from sometime ago but I have the same problem Did your daughters issues get resolved, I have purchased a new computer and downloaded e books before loading ADE I also didnt realise that I already had a ADE ID and created a new one so keeps telling me my PC not authorised to see the books ive donwloaded, also cant see any of the previous books that I purchased via the old PC before it packed up. contacted ADOBE support and they have been pretty useless spent hours on this now. I think after reading the issue here its clearly becvause i downloaded the books before authorising my pc to ADE and because I created a new ID everything has got confused. I have constantly asked ADOBE to check the previous ID used and delete the new ID I set up, but they keep just sending me instructions on how to reset i.e deathorise and reauthorise this does not work and when I try it know it states to many activations. Would anyone agree that I need the erroneous ID deleted and the original re-set. I would then probably have to contact WHSMITHS to ask them to resend the order so I can start from scratch. Would any one have any other suggestions. Thanks in advance. Steph Arnold
Sounds like you've got it sussed out. If you don't have access to the old computer to de-authorize it then Adobe must do it. This is the biggest PITA of this ADE system.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote