Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 07:52 AM   #1
lamzor
lamzor began at the beginning.

Device: none
pdb to epub (encoding issue)

hello all.
i was trying to use calibre to convert my pdb into epub format. only problem is that i do not know encoding of pdb source file.

because its slovak books with slovak chars, there are 3 possibilities - unicode(utf-8), ISO8859-2 or Windows-1250.

i tried unicode(selected utf-8 in look&feel -> input char encoding) but output was incorrect. leaving blank field(default calibre option) also produced incorrect output(special characters were just nonsense chars).
so i tried ISO8859-2 with same result.
then i tried Windows-1250 and output was OK (tried with calibre reader and epub reader firefox addon).

is there any way how can i find source(pdb) encoding so i wont have to try 3 different encodings before producing correct output?

thanks.
lamzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, I'm afraid trial and error is the only way. As far as I know the pdb format doesn't always specify the encoding it uses, which is why you have to guess it manually.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Riva3000
Calibre fan
Riva3000 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex 800SG, iPhone 3GS (shelved: iRex iLiad, KindleDX, Adam tablet)
All PDB files with European national characters I have encountered were in Windows-1250 (in Calibre CP1250) encoding.
Also all those files were without encoding specification and/or Calibre was not able to detect the encoding.

I have books in Czech, Slovak, Polish.

So now setting "input encoding" to "CP1250" for conversion from non-english PDB (to any ebook format) is my 1st bet.
Riva3000 is offline   Reply With Quote