Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #136
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
A notice for February's nominations:

The category is "time period" and it has always been planned to be a category where a time period is picked before nominations start. On the sixth, there will be a ONE DAY POLL to determine which time period we use for the month. After the poll is over on the seventh, nominations will begin.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #137
JsKindle3
My K3 has my heart
JsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3
i have no idea whats going on with this BC! I go to one poll and one book one and i go to another and another book one. Which one is it? Which one should i get?

When do we start reading it?
JsKindle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #138
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsKindle3 View Post
i have no idea whats going on with this BC! I go to one poll and one book one and i go to another and another book one. Which one is it? Which one should i get?

When do we start reading it?
There are two book clubs running here. This thread concerns the Literary Book Club. The January winner was Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman. The discussion is in progress here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167553

The selection for February is now in progress. Feel free to participate:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168076

The other standard book club selection for February is Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166909 Discussion of this should start on February 20th.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 02-07-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #139
JsKindle3
My K3 has my heart
JsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

I want the one thats for Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Thanks for explaining it to me.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #140
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JsKindle3 View Post
I want the one thats for Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Thanks for explaining it to me.
That one is Here. You can start reading at any time. The discussion thread will go up on February 20th.

Edit: The book club thread titles are color coded and prefixed: Purple (MobileRead) Is the MobileRead Book Club; Blue (Literary) is the MobileRead Literary Book Club

Last edited by Nyssa; 02-07-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #141
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Does anyone think that the colors are too similar? I do. I don't care what the colors for each club are, but I do think they should be more dissimilar than at present.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #142
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Does anyone think that the colors are too similar? I do. I don't care what the colors for each club are, but I do think they should be more dissimilar than at present.
No. I think they're different enough. Purple is purple and blue is blue - plus they look nice (IMO). I think the names are too similar, but I don't think theres much we can do about that.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #143
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nyssa, that's one reason I changed the title for the Literary club. Now, in thread titles, the only word they have in common is "club".

Quote:
Yes, they are quite similar, and I would agree that if they were more dissimilar it'd be easier to differentiate. It's one reason I've kept using the pages icon for the literary club - so that I and others could more easily differentiate. But then there are the many polls with poll icons that cover up the pages icon.

I do agree with Nyssa that both colours look nice, and they are cohesive for the forum, and it's not a huge deal; but if I had a vote it'd be to make one of the colours more dissimilar than the other.

PS - I do quite like the Literary prefix colour though, so it'd be very nice if it were left as is...

Maybe the general MobileRead club prefix could be similar to what it already is, only darker or brighter? Then the colours would still be somewhat similar for cohesiveness but easier to tell apart?
Old 02-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #144
JsKindle3
My K3 has my heart

I think its hard to find the thread. Im subscribed but when i click on Todays Posts, its hard to find the thread.

What exactly is the difference between the 2 clubs? I like the one with the Fitzgerald and Whitman.

I like BCs that get me to read things i wouldnt normally read. I wouldnt go to the library and pick up Whitman, but i have started and i cant put it down!
Old 02-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #145
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

JsKindle3,

I'm not sure how "subscribed" threads work; maybe someone else can help you there.

The two clubs are "general interest" and "literary".

The general interest club has the prefix "MobileRead" at the beginning of each thread title and that club picks a book each month based on a genre, such as "romance" or "science fiction" or "mystery". It uses a wide variety of genres and the category list for each month is already set. Fitzgerald was chosen for this club's February selection where the genre was "romance". The discussion for it will start on February 20th, as will nominations for March's book.

The literary club has the prefix "Literary" at the beginning of each thread title and that club picks a book each month that is considered "literary", basically a well-regarded work such as classics or prize-winners but can be a wide variety of things. This thread we're in right now is basically a general club-mechanics discussion thread for the literary club. Each month's category is based on some type of literature and the category list for each month is already set. Whitman was chosen for this club's January selection where the category was "poetry". The discussion for it started on February 1st and nominations for February's selection are going on now, where the category is "time period" and the one chosen is 1981-2000, so nominated books for this month are all written between 1981-2000.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the clubs!

Last edited by sun surfer; 02-08-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #146
Nyssa
Series Addict

I like that you shortened the name to the "Literary Club", sun surfer!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #147
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I think there are too many colors. Make the "sticky" an icon and text. Get rid of the light color purple for polls.

IMO.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #148
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Apologies to those trying to make everything more legibile, but right now it’s just visually disturbing to me.

I suggest losing the colours. Make one sticky thread for each club. That thread should be formatted to have links to the most recent/current vote and discussion at the top and then list the rest of the selections in the rest of the first post. Discussion about each club can be ongoing in those sticky threads. No other threads need to be stickied outside of maybe the opinions and suggestion thread.

The second thing I would suggest is a naming convention that makes it easy to spot things. Lose Mobile Read in all the titles. Avoid writing Vote, it’s already a poll. Something like this might be cleaner.
Regular Book Club – February 2012 (romance)
Literary Book Club – February 2012 (time period)
(poll) Regular Book Club – February 2012 (romance)
(poll) Regular Book Club – February Run-Off 2012 (romance)
Regular Book Club – Black Rain (Ibuse)
Literary Book Club – Leaves of Grass (Whitman)

I think the fact that votes are polls will makes it obvious enough without getting too wordy.

As far as the historical summary threads. Something like what follows. Make the title/author the link to the discussion and have a link to the vote and run-off vote after it.

Regular Book Club

2012-01 (second-place) – Black Rain, Masuji Ibuse
2011-12 (classic) – A Chirstmas Carol, Charles Dickens [vote] [run-off vote]
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #149
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

The new prefix colour looks great and is distinctive, and goes well with the other colours in the forum! Thanks to whoever did it.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #150
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Those colors were my idea, but BOb provided the code and dreams made the change. We mere mods can't make those kinds of changes. They require an administrator.

Thanks to the admins, BOb & debs, for their help!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-10-2012 at 01:47 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, literary, literature