Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Plastic Logic Que

Notices

Old 09-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
regarding plastic logic reader and B&N

when is it coming out?

anyone here waiting for that?

any demo on pdf support? that is key for me.

cost?

any comment appreciated.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There will always be something better available in 6 months time. The Plastic Logic reader will not be available until some time in 2010. You can do a heck of a lot of reading between now and then. Caveat emptor and get a reader now. Doesn't matter what one - they all work well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:34 AM   #3
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There will always be something better available in 6 months time. The Plastic Logic reader will not be available until some time in 2010. You can do a heck of a lot of reading between now and then. Caveat emptor and get a reader now. Doesn't matter what one - they all work well.
oh, really? ALL of them?
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:52 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can you name one that genuinely does not? We may all like to play "mine is better than yours" games, but at the end of the day I'd have no hesitation in recommending any eInk device on the market to anyone. Not, of course, if they want to read A4 PDFs on it, but for general fiction-reading, I absolutely would.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Can you name one that genuinely does not? We may all like to play "mine is better than yours" games, but at the end of the day I'd have no hesitation in recommending any eInk device on the market to anyone. Not, of course, if they want to read A4 PDFs on it, but for general fiction-reading, I absolutely would.
Hear hear. I fully agree, Harry.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
PDF support on kindle sux. does not exist and sonys it sux too
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #7
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Well, I have to agree with Harry on this one. If you are afraid to take the plunge don't be. This market is similar to the laptop/computer market and there will always be better/cheaper/more-powerful ones around the corner.

Furthermore, I would note that even the 'bad readers' are preferable to no readers. For example, I was an early purchaser of the Cybook Gen III and I am not a supporter of the unit while HarryT really likes it. Even though it would not be my first choice, I agree that it is better than the old pda I used to have, and it is certainly better than nothing. My dislike is more of a subjective choice of the Gen III versus the competition and I certainly agree that you are better off purchasing a Gen II than sitting on the sidelines.

So, the best choice is in the eye of the particular buyer, but the time is right to jump in. From the $199 Sony & Astak readers to the full featured Irex units at $859 there are a wide range of units and many choices available.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Agreed. And the e-ink devices are MUCH better for long-term reading (novels, etc.) than backlit lcd/led displays.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Foxit e-Slick is not a good one. It doesn't do enough to make it all that useful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote