Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
ckbrooks
ckbrooks began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
ipdf problem - starting up the new versions

Hi,

Recently downloaded and installed the ipdf bundle, and the installers all appear fine on my CF card, and when I click to install each version, this seems to execute fine too. However, when I click the "check which ipdf version is installed" option at the bottom of the page, it alwys remains saying that it's the original irex one. Then, when I open a pdf on the device, it only provides the original pdf viewer.

I am sure I am missing something. I simply need to be able to switch viewers and see the results.

I hope someone will be kind enough to help, as this is my first forum post.

Thanks

Clive
ckbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist
DesiLinguist doesn't litterDesiLinguist doesn't litter

Device: iLiad BE, iPhone, Kindle DX
Clive,

I am assuming you have requested shell access and installed the developer's package on your iLiad? Just checking because I saw other threads earlier where people had forgotten to do that ...
DesiLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
ckbrooks
ckbrooks began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiLinguist View Post
Clive,

I am assuming you have requested shell access and installed the developer's package on your iLiad? Just checking because I saw other threads earlier where people had forgotten to do that ...
Yes, that's all done and went very smoothly. I also ran the terminal program suggested successfully.
ckbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist

I got my cf card and I tried doing the ipdf installation and I am having trouble as well. Requested the developer access package, installed fine, ran xshell which also ran fine. Then I went into the ipdf folder on the cf card and clicked on 'check which version is installed' and I get the message 'This looks like a new unrecognized version'! This is really strange. Never heard anyone getting this error before.

Here is the relevant info from iLiad's settings screen:

Software version: 2.12.1
Software build number: 21211
Kernel version: 2.4.19-rmk7-pxa2-rex1 #21210

I downloaded the all-in-one ipdf installer from the wiki page. The file was called "ipdf_installers_v2.12.1.zip"

I checked what the 'check version' script was actually doing and it identifies the ipdf version by looking at the size of the file '/usr/bin/ipdf'. So, I manually checked the file size by doing a 'ls -l /usr/bin/ipdf' on mrxvt and, sure enough, the file size (82828) doesn't match any of the sizes checked in the script. The default iRex one is the closest (82804) but it still doesn't match.

Is it possible that ipdf filesize is different in v2.12.1 but the 'check version' script is still checking for the old file size (from an older version)?

Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated!
Old 02-18-2009, 05:55 AM   #5
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
@cbrooks: Welcome here at Mobileread! I hope you enjoy this website and have fun with your device... once we get it working correctly

Generally you did everything right, and I wonder why it doesn't work. First of all: Do you have a iLiad v2 or the Book Edition? And did you download the correct .zip file for your device (I know, stupid question)? Once you click the installer for an ipdf version, does it say "Installed on ..." in the second line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiLinguist View Post
Is it possible that ipdf filesize is different in v2.12.1 but the 'check version' script is still checking for the old file size (from an older version)?

Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated!
That's correct, it does not detect the ipdf from the Book Edition correctly. But you should be able to backup the original version by choosing the "Backup" entry. Installing any other version should work fine too.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist

Thomas, thanks for the confirmation! I did back up my version and then installed the fullscreen iPDF version and it seems to work absolutely fine!