Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #24451
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Finished Fix, which was enjoyable. Now about a third of my way through Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury.

First thing: Best title evar!
You know it's a quote from Shakespeare? It's said by one of the witches in Macbeth: "By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes."
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:05 PM   #24452
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Currently reading The North Water by Ian McGuire. Longlisted for the 2016 Man Booker Prize.

Quote:
A nineteenth-century whaling ship sets sail for the Arctic with a killer aboard in this dark, sharp, and highly original tale that grips like a thriller.
It's a bit more seedy than I would have liked, but we'll see how it turns out. A very short novel.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:11 PM   #24453
poohbear_nc
Where Did 2015 Go?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made + Kobo Aura + Nexus7.2!
Just finished The Hatred of Poetry by Ben Lerner - a clever book-length essay examining the seemingly perpetual dialectic between the condemnation and defense of poetry ... from the Plato to the present ... which includes a fascinating response to Emily Dickinson, Walt Whitman, and Marianne Moore, among other poets. Lerner obviously is well read and quite a wordsmith in prose, as well as poetry. Highly recommended.

I'm also mid-way through W.G. Sebald's The Rings of Saturn -- and still am not quite sure what I'm reading (memoir, travelogue, novel, rambling stream of consciousness?) - but it's beautifully written and translated (Michael Hulse) and I'm thoroughly enjoying the voyage ...
poohbear_nc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:11 PM   #24454
Joseph J Bailey
Connoisseur
Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone & iPad
Just finished Unbroken after Boys in the Boat.

I was in the Olympic spirit!

Both were wonderful reads of Olympians overcoming adversity.
Joseph J Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:57 PM   #24455
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Searching ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
To change things up I'm now reading The Plague Court Murders by John Dickson Carr. Nothing liked a locked room mystery to get the juices flowing.
I didn't guess the murderer because a few things weren't clear to me. It would have helped if I was familiar with the role of Viola in Twelfth Night. Still, I don't think this was Carr's best effort. Interesting how even in 1934 "clue" was spelled "clew." Rated C- [2 stars].

Next is a library book, The Last Policeman by Ben H Winters. The description caught my interest.

Quote:
What’s the point in solving murders if we’re all going to die soon, anyway?

Detective Hank Palace has faced this question ever since asteroid 2011GV1 hovered into view. There’s no chance left. No hope. Just six precious months until impact.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:34 AM   #24456
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Tab 4 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You know it's a quote from Shakespeare? It's said by one of the witches in Macbeth: "By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes."
I did not realize, but I am not surprised: it seems like The Bard is responsible for half our language and idioms.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:39 AM   #24457
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6
Quote:
Next is a library book, The Last Policeman by Ben H Winters. The description caught my interest.
It's a trilogy. That's the first book; the other two are "Countdown City" and "World of Trouble". I bought all three in an Amazon UK Kindle Daily Deal about a year ago.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:14 AM   #24458
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air, Samsung Galaxy J7, & an iPod Nano.
I've started reading The Adventures of Superman (1942) by George Lowther. It was the first Superman novel, originally published only four years after the debut of Shuster and Siegel's iconic creation in the comic books.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:37 PM   #24459
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage,Kindle PW, Fire HD 8.9, Fire HD8
I'm in the middle of the second of an unknown number of Penric novellas by Lois McMaster Bujold, Penric's Shaman. For some reason, I had decided I wasn't interested in these, even though I've very much enjoyed her books over the years, so I've had the first, Penric's Demon, sitting in my TBR for a while. Then the other day I was looking for something shorter, and someone here had mentioned it, so I went ahead and read it. Should have known! I very much enjoyed it, so quickly bought the second and am enjoying it as well.

However, I'm now in a bit of a conundrum. The latest book from Nathan Lowell, Milk Run, came out this morning, and I want to read it NOW. But I also want to finish Penric's Shaman. Oh, and I've got a chapter due to the editor in 3 days and it isn't done.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:04 PM   #24460
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindlePW + iPad3 + Generic Android Phone + ClipZip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
Next up is a continuation of the archaeological mysteries with the fifth book, The African Quest, and *maybe* Fellowship of Fear by Aaron Elkins. And I'm 40% through Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer, so I may try to finish it as well.
I read and enjoyed The African Quest, but Fellowship of Fear was just OK for me. I'm continuing on with both series; next up is The Dark Place (book 2/Gideon Oliver) and The Etruscan Chimera (book 6/Lara McClintoch).

Friday's Child is still at 40% (), and I still want to complete it soon. I also want to try Friday the Rabbi Slept Late; blaming that one on HarryT and pdurrant

I'll be happy if I complete at least two of these this new week!
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:43 PM   #24461
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage,Kindle PW, Fire HD 8.9, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
Friday's Child is still at 40% (), and I still want to complete it soon. I also want to try Friday the Rabbi Slept Late; blaming that one on HarryT and pdurrant

I'll be happy if I complete at least two of these this new week!
All Georgette Heyer's Regencies are quiet pleasures that sometimes grow to outloud chuckles. I try to space them out to savor and save them. Friday's Child was a good one!

Finished Penric's Shaman. Next I'll do a quick re-read of Exile before diving in to Milk Run.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #24462
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindlePW + iPad3 + Generic Android Phone + ClipZip
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
All Georgette Heyer's Regencies are quiet pleasures that sometimes grow to outloud chuckles. I try to space them out to savor and save them. Friday's Child was a good one!
Out-loud chuckles indeed - some of them are hilariously funny! I've read 6 of them so far this year, four of these during one week in May - it was a great week
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:50 AM   #24463
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air, Samsung Galaxy J7, & an iPod Nano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I've started reading The Adventures of Superman (1942) by George Lowther. It was the first Superman novel, originally published only four years after the debut of Shuster and Siegel's iconic creation in the comic books.

Finished this last night before going to catch Pokemons. It was quite enjoyable, but the body count far exceeded that of the later Silver Age Superman, or any Superman since. This guy was killing people right and left. To be sure, most were in enemy submarines that he punctured, blew up, or otherwise sank, but one rather nasty fellow he deliberately punched with all his strength, knowing full well the fellow would never survive. Wonder what his adopted parents, Eben and Sarah Kent, would have thought?

Lots of fun and very interesting to see how the character has evolved over the years.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:40 AM   #24464
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Next I am planning to take The Man in High Castle by Philip K. Dick.
Finished The Man in High Castle by Philip K. Dick bridging the genres of alternate history and science fiction, and another book The Broken Bubble by the same author.

Next up, The Girl from Baghdad by Michelle Nouri.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #24465
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:

Next is a library book, The Last Policeman by Ben H Winters. The description caught my interest.What’s the point in solving murders if we’re all going to die soon, anyway?

Quote:
Detective Hank Palace has faced this question ever since asteroid 2011GV1 hovered into view. There’s no chance left. No hope. Just six precious months until impact.
The same idea can be found in The End of Science Fiction by Sam Smith published by BeWrite in 2004.

Quote:
No matter how important your job . would YOU turn up for work knowing that you and every living being on the planet will be dead before pay day? A beautiful young woman is brutally murdered - just as governments around the world announce that the universe will end in five days' time.
Quote:
But amid global chaos, dedicated detective Herbie Watkins stays on the case, determined to discover the killer against a merciless clock that's ticking away his own final hours.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote