Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM   #24451
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Finished Fix, which was enjoyable. Now about a third of my way through Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury.

First thing: Best title evar!
You know it's a quote from Shakespeare? It's said by one of the witches in Macbeth: "By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes."
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM   #24452
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Currently reading The North Water by Ian McGuire. Longlisted for the 2016 Man Booker Prize.

Quote:
A nineteenth-century whaling ship sets sail for the Arctic with a killer aboard in this dark, sharp, and highly original tale that grips like a thriller.
It's a bit more seedy than I would have liked, but we'll see how it turns out. A very short novel.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM   #24453
poohbear_nc
Where Did 2015 Go?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made + Kobo Aura + Nexus7.2!
Just finished The Hatred of Poetry by Ben Lerner - a clever book-length essay examining the seemingly perpetual dialectic between the condemnation and defense of poetry ... from the Plato to the present ... which includes a fascinating response to Emily Dickinson, Walt Whitman, and Marianne Moore, among other poets. Lerner obviously is well read and quite a wordsmith in prose, as well as poetry. Highly recommended.

I'm also mid-way through W.G. Sebald's The Rings of Saturn -- and still am not quite sure what I'm reading (memoir, travelogue, novel, rambling stream of consciousness?) - but it's beautifully written and translated (Michael Hulse) and I'm thoroughly enjoying the voyage ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM   #24454
Joseph J Bailey
Connoisseur
Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone & iPad
Just finished Unbroken after Boys in the Boat.

I was in the Olympic spirit!

Both were wonderful reads of Olympians overcoming adversity.
Joseph J Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM   #24455
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Searching ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
To change things up I'm now reading The Plague Court Murders by John Dickson Carr. Nothing liked a locked room mystery to get the juices flowing.
I didn't guess the murderer because a few things weren't clear to me. It would have helped if I was familiar with the role of Viola in Twelfth Night. Still, I don't think this was Carr's best effort. Interesting how even in 1934 "clue" was spelled "clew." Rated C- [2 stars].

Next is a library book, The Last Policeman by Ben H Winters. The description caught my interest.

Quote:
What’s the point in solving murders if we’re all going to die soon, anyway?

Detective Hank Palace has faced this question ever since asteroid 2011GV1 hovered into view. There’s no chance left. No hope. Just six precious months until impact.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote