Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-21-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
kirky11
kirky11 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Page Error with Clive James - Cultural Amnesia

Hi,

I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if this one has been posted before.

Is anyone else having problems with Clive James - Cultural Amnesia throwing up a Page Error when trying to open in PRS-505?

The title is supposed to be DRM Free, but when I try to open it I get the Triangle Warning sign and the message Page Error. I have several other epub titles that open fine, and this title will open on my PC using the Adobe Digital Editions Reader.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Great site by the way!

kirky11
kirky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirky11 View Post
Is anyone else having problems with Clive James - Cultural Amnesia throwing up a Page Error when trying to open in PRS-505?
That error means that the EPUB book contains one or more HTML files which are larger than 100k / 300k compressed / uncompressed. If you check the "Item info..." for the book in the desktop version of AdobeDE it should show you a warning about that.

You should be able to fix the problem with calibre by feeding the book through 'any2epub.'
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:06 PM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm no help kirky, but I just wanted to pop in and say "Good book". I've bought it in both pbook and ebook form myself.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
kirky11

Thanks for your response - much appreciated.

I have just downloaded a copy of Calibre, now I need to spend some time figuring out how it works.

Cheers

Kevin
Old 12-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirky11 View Post
I have just downloaded a copy of Calibre, now I need to spend some time figuring out how it works.
If you know how to use command line tools, then see any2epub. Calibre's phyton scripts (including any2epub.py) are already in your "path" so just run it from a command window.

It may be easier to use the GUI. Click on the calibre icon (to open the gui). Select the hammer icon (settings), to the right of the search bar. In the general tab, select EPUB for single file save (and output format if you want), and click save. Click on "Add book" to add the existing epub. Once it is there, click on the ebook to select it and then click on convert ebook. Check that under "Page setup" the profile is PRS505, then click OK. The ePub should now be suitable for the PRS-505.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
kirky11

Thank you all very much.

I downloaded Calibre, added the title 'Cultural Amnesia' and, using the GUI, converted the file to lrf.

I then sent the title to my PRS-505 and it opened as it should.

It really is one of the great books of all time as far as I am concerned. I already own a hardback copy but it's a bit heavy to carry around. So, naturally, I purchased an electronic copy to add to the other couple of hundred books I need to keep by my side should I have a spare moment.

Thanks again. I shall be bookmarking this this site and visiting on a daily basis from now on.

Cheers

Kevin