Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: What Genre of Fiction do you read most often?
Mystery/Crime 53 45.69%
Humor 2 1.72%
Romance 10 8.62%
Science Fiction 57 49.14%
Fantasy 51 43.97%
Western 2 1.72%
Adventure 6 5.17%
Horror 7 6.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
What Genre of Fiction do you read most often?

I was wondering what genre of fiction those here at MR read most often. There are plenty of sub-genre's of the various Genre's. For example in Science Fiction there are:

Hard Sci Fi
Soft Sci Fi
Space Opera
Steampunk
Diesel Punk
Cyberpunk

and I don't know what else. Such a poll would be too complex to structure though so I thought I'd post asking about the main Genre's.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Of this list. Probably Fantasy > Science Fiction > Mystery > Horror. I tend to read a lot of general fiction. What most people call Literature to sound pretentious.

I like this Genre Map and I quite like sub genres at a glance.

I'm thinking of making that a challenge some year. To read more genres.

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; 09-09-2014 at 02:06 PM.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
What, no historical or literary/general fiction?

It varies depending on what I'm in the mood to read and have available to hand. For example, over the past few weeks I've been mostly reading mystery/crime thrillers because of a large purchase of Agatha Christie books on sale and the purchase of two omnibuses of Jo Nesbø's Norwegian noir police procedural series and the subsequent trip to the library to look up the rest of his books.

But averaged over time (and looking over the contents of my past annual reading lists), I would have thought I would definitely fall into the sf/fantasy category for primary genre fiction reading given my long-term gravitation towards such, except that for two years running, it still looks like I read an equal or greater amount of mysteries (and this would make it a third year, if I manage to make major inroads into my Christie acquisition). (This may be due to the old Poisoned Pen Press and other freebie/discount promotions leading me to discover and binge-read all the available books from certain authors who just happen to write mostly mystery.)

Overall, I do consistently have my majority fiction reading definitely fall into the umbrella over-genre of "speculative fiction", which for me extends to science fiction, fantasy, experimental literary, historical (since the setting basically has to be reconstructed if you go back far enough), and occasional boundary-pushing mystery/thriller/other which play with our notions of how the world works/is approached by investigation/has a sufficiently imaginary setting. (I rarely read horror, even though it would technically fall under the umbrella.)

Mind you, as a personal choice it would probably be "speculative crossover", if I could regularly gather up enough decent books to fill it. I just happen to like alternate history whodunnits and invented political system espionage thrillers and screwball comedy airship adventures and such.

Last edited by ATDrake; 09-09-2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Fix broken linkage.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
What, no historical or literary/general fiction?

It varies depending on what I'm in the mood to read and have available to hand. For example, over the past few weeks I've been mostly reading mystery/crime thrillers because of a large purchase of Agatha Christie books on sale and the purchase of two omnibuses of Jo Nesbø's Norwegian noir police procedural series and the subsequent trip to the library to look up the rest of his books.

But averaged over time (and looking over the contents of my past annual reading lists), I would have thought I would definitely fall into the sf/fantasy category for primary genre fiction reading given my long-term gravitation towards such, except that for two years running, it still looks like I read an equal or greater amount of mysteries (and this would make it a third year, if I manage to make major inroads into my Christie acquisition). (This may be due to the old Poisoned Pen Press and other freebie/discount promotions leading me to discover and binge-read all the available books from certain authors who just happen to write mostly mystery.)

Overall, I do consistently have my majority fiction reading definitely fall into the umbrella over-genre of "speculative fiction", which for me extends to science fiction, fantasy, experimental literary, historical (since the setting basically has to be reconstructed if you go back far enough), and occasional boundary-pushing mystery/thriller/other which play with our notions of how the world works/is approached by investigation/has a sufficiently imaginary setting. (I rarely read horror, even though it would technically fall under the umbrella.)

Mind you, as a personal choice it would probably be "speculative crossover", if I could regularly gather up enough decent books to fill it. I just happen to like alternate history whodunnits and invented political system espionage thrillers and screwball comedy airship adventures and such.
In truth I forgot about historical fiction. My bad. I left literary off because it's so hard to define (IMO).
Old 09-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Well, you do have Western listed, which is kind of a subset of Historical (more like the lovechild of it and Adventure).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Well, you do have Western listed, which is kind of a subset of Historical (more like the lovechild of it and Adventure).
True. I guess you could see it that way. Of course there are many tales that seem to straddle multiple genre's. "The Count of Monte Cristo" could be both Historical and Adventure I think. Certainly "The Three Musketeers" would fit in both as well. Or London's "Call of the Wild" could fit also.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
In truth I forgot about historical fiction. My bad. I left literary off because it's so hard to define (IMO).
There should be an "other" category.

Are you classifying suspense/thrillers in the mystery/crime category?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
There should be an "other" category.

Are you classifying suspense/thrillers in the mystery/crime category?
Yes. I figured that they would count as a sub-genre of Mystery/Crime. Certainly they both have elements of Mystery and can be thrilling. Of course Thrillers can also be applied to Horror as well I think depending on the story. Other seems a bit generic to me. I was trying to keep from muddying the waters too much by keeping to well defined Genre labels.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Yes. I figured that they would count as a sub-genre of Mystery/Crime. Certainly they both have elements of Mystery and can be thrilling. Of course Thrillers can also be applied to Horror as well I think depending on the story. Other seems a bit generic to me. I was trying to keep from muddying the waters too much by keeping to well defined Genre labels.
Yeah, on second thought "other" isn't at all clear--I meant non-genre/literary fiction.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

One thing that also occurred to me is how a poll like this one can help the potential writer a bit. I mean all the genre's are still read by many but some are read more often I'm sure, and of course the more new books that are published in a given genre (based on what's being read) the higher the competition for the reader's time and money.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:31 AM   #11
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Lately fantasy. I'm reading the newest Brent Weeks in between plugging away at the Malazan and Wheel of Time series'.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:03 AM   #12
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Mostly fantasy with occasional science fiction book.
I'm surprised nobody here reads horror. (none that have voted anyway)
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #13
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Most of my reading is SF and fantasy though I read from all genres (except Romance unless it has something else going for it.) and also non-genre mainstream fiction. After some hesitation I voted for Horror also though I don't read the more intense graphic unpleasant stuff. But I read the Weird Tales type horror and ghost stories fairly regularly.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #14
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I have a question to ask, and this site(though not this thread) is the perfect place to ask it... what are the connection between the "Steven Erikson Malazan - Book of the Fallen Series" and "Malazan Empire Series by Ian C. Esslemont"...?
Luffy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #15
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I voted for mystery. Until I joined this website, I used to read a lot of cozy mystery, and compared to fantasy, the books are modest, mostly 320 pages. Since then I've been trying to read books I'd normally pass over or ditch after a few pages. It may be a false dawn or a new chapter for me. I'm reluctant to slink back to the cozy mystery genre though, as there are too many series irregular of quality and consistency.
Luffy is online now   Reply With Quote