Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
bugsy74
bugsy74 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Count Pages Plugin - Accurate Numbering

Hello All,

I have spent a few hours searching the forums to try and get this right, so please bear with me.

I have 2 partsto my issue:

Part 1: I am trying to get accurate page numbering via the Count Pages Plugin.
1) I have both the e-book version and the hard copy of a book and I am trying to get the two to match in page numbers.
2) When I run the plugin, it finds the goodreads ID and tells me "Goodreads edition has 652 pages". This is the exact page number of the hard copy. Encouraged by the results, I accept these setting.
3) When I send the file to my kindle via the "Send to device" option in Calibre, it shows 577 pages instead of 652. What am I doing wrong?
Part 2: I am trying to send the book as a personal document to my kindle account via the "Email to kindle" option in Cailbre. However, the page numbers do not transfer.
1) It is supposed to be possible to have page numbers in the personal documents using the Count Pages plugin according to this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=202728
2) It doesn't seem to work, again what am I doing wrong.
Thank you in advance for your help, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Bugs.
bugsy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
For Part 1: Page Numbers, the most likely culprit is the automatic re-pagination that occurs within each device. Each combination of font size and screen resolution leads to a different number of pages. So a Nook Simple Touch might have 850 pages for your example book, while a Nook HD might have 600 pages. Change the font used on either device and the number counts will shift accordingly. This is true for any device when using reflowable text as seen in ebooks.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
bugsy74

Just tested changing the font size on my kindle from very smallest font size to the largest, the page number remain 577 no matter what font size I chose.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is your 652/577 page book's file format?
Old 06-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
bugsy74

Mobi format. But i also tried as an epub. Same exact result in each format.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
ePub page numbering is NOT based on the number of page turns; rather on an estimated value obtained by dividing the compressed size of the (x)html files in the book by 1024.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
bugsy74

I managed to solve the issue, it was a plugin setting that needed adjustment. Thanks for your help, it was very much appreciated.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
For Part 1: Page Numbers, the most likely culprit is the automatic re-pagination that occurs within each device. Each combination of font size and screen resolution leads to a different number of pages. So a Nook Simple Touch might have 850 pages for your example book, while a Nook HD might have 600 pages. Change the font used on either device and the number counts will shift accordingly. This is true for any device when using reflowable text as seen in ebooks.
Please don't give false information. ADE has page numbers that do not rely on text size or number of screens. Kindle does as well.

If the eBook is ePub, the nook STR and nook HD will have the same page number.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:17 AM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please don't give false information. ADE has page numbers that do not rely on text size or number of screens. Kindle does as well.

If the eBook is ePub, the nook STR and nook HD will have the same page number.
Your information isn't entirely correct either since ADE will only display the same page numbers as in the print edition, if the ePub contains a Page-Map or an NCX based pageList container.

@OP: Amazon Kindle books will only display the correct page numbers if the publisher included a pageList container when uploading the book to Amazon. These books usually have Contains Real Page Numbers somewhere in their description, and Amazon will automatically download an additional APNX file with the page number information in it.

AFAIK, neither the Calibre Count Pages plugin nor the APNX plugin use the page number information stored in Kindle books and ePubs. I.e., it's pretty much technically impossible to get accurate page numbers with this plug-in, because the APNX generator calculates the page numbers based on an algorithm and not the actual page markers/pageList stored in a book.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:25 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Your information isn't entirely correct either since ADE will only display the same page numbers as in the print edition, if the ePub contains a Page-Map or an NCX based pageList container.
I believe JSWolf may have been completely correct in what he stated since he never compared the ebook page numbering to the print edition. Just ADE ePubs to other ADE epubs.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-28-2013 at 06:47 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
Sabardeyn
Guru

Bugsy74,
I'm glad you were able to determine the nature of the problem and correct it. My apologies if my - apparently uninformed - attempt to help confused matters.

As for the remainder of the comments...
There is a difference between giving false information, with an implication of trying to purposely mislead or lie, and being uninformed - with an implication of ignorance.

For what it is worth, I gave the best information I knew. PDFs give fixed page numbers as they imitate a printed page; other ebook formats did not (as I mistakenly understood things, it appears).

PS: There is no tone to any of the above, just an attempt to explain the thought process behind the messages I posted.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can setup a custom column in Calibre to use to type in a page number. But, while the eBook sent to the Kindle will show the same number of pages as the pBooks, that does not mean that the pages in between page 1 and the last page will match the print edition.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote