Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
asperger
Enthusiast
asperger began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
moved location of Calibre home directory

I like Calibre but I got the impression that I was making my life more complicated than need be by maintaining it's database on my pc's drive. I got myself an 'all in 1' memory card reader and moved my ebook collection straight over to my ebook's SD card.

I just have to make sure that my sd card is loaded in the reader before launching Calibre, ( it resets it's home directory if the external drive is absent ) but apart from that seems ok.

No more 'send to device' step, because it's the device.
asperger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
That's fine, but make sure the db file doesn't get touched, otherwise you may lose all your metadata!

Also, make sure you have a backup. What happens if the card gets lost/damaged? All your books are gone!

Backups! Backups! Backups!
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
asperger
Enthusiast
asperger began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Works almost as well when I use a usb cable to the device. I say almost because my ereader acts like it's got an old fashioned usb interface

Seems I've saved myself more aggravation by disabling all of Calibre's device plugins, since the database and ebooks are on the device itself, there is really no need to enumerate the files ( job - get the file list ) from the device when it is connected via a usb cable.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure." Lee Segall; For me that also applies to active databases.

Sometimes, less is more, and by doing less, using Calibre is more enjoyable to use.
asperger is offline   Reply With Quote