Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Personal Identity and anti-branding

They're talking phones but the principles apply across the board, from consoles to tablets, to ebook formats:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-6452_7-...r-smartphones/

Quote:

THE JOYS OF ANTI-BRANDING

Doctoral researcher Laurence Dessart studies businesses and management at the University of Glasgow, Scotland. Over the last year, she distributed online surveys asking those who actively bad-mouth companies including Samsung, Apple, and even Starbucks, why they engage in such activities. So far, she's observed that personal identity plays a large role.
"People who hate a brand do not want to be associated with the brand because of what it represents," says Dessart. "It clashes with what they see in themselves, and how they want to be seen by others."
For example, one of the most commonly cited problems survey participants reported against Apple was its use of proprietary software and hardware, which is perceived as Apple's way to lock in consumers into its ecosystem.
Perez says it is these limitations that push him away from iOS and towards Android. Due to its open-source software, Android offers its users more freedom for modification. In Perez's case, this level of customization aligns with how he sees himself.
"I'm a techie," says Perez. "Techies tend to lean towards Android due to its openness. I just like the personalization, and not having limitations."
Once an identity is pinned down, there is then a desire to seek out and join like-minded people. In fact, one of the most common reasons noted by those in front of the Apple store the night before the iPhone 5S release was "the group experience" and camaraderie of waiting in line.
Many Apple users cited the "group experience," as their motivation for lining up for the iPhone. This sense of camaraderie can also be used to band against a brand as well.
"The social and psychological benefits that you get from being part of a community are the same across all kinds of people," says Dessart. She also says, however, that there are benefits to banding against a brand as well.
"We have to be part of a community in order to oppose the brand because as a standalone person, we have no weight."
This has become much easier due to the advent of the infinite clubhouse known as the Internet, which provides space for people to meet up and discuss their thoughts. Some might argue that all this spirited debate is really to help others become more informed. Perez, for example, says he started his Android vlog to close what he saw as a disconnect of what people thought the OS could and could not do. He wanted to end the misconceptions and educate.
Perez's desire to educate comes off as sincere. But perhaps the majority of those online who adopt a condemning tone under the guise of didacticism, do so not to enlighten others, but rather to feel smarter about themselves.
Stanford's Nass suggests that people are quick to vocalize their critical comments due to the "brilliant but cruel" phenomenon. This term was coined by Harvard Business School professor Teresa Amabile, after her research found that negative book reviews were seen as more intelligent and reliable than positive reviews, thus shedding light on people's natural wariness against overly-positive evaluations.
"Being negative makes you feel smarter," says Nass. "The guy who says 'I agree' never seems as smart as the guy who says, 'I disagree.'"
Basically, it sounds like personal products become Rorschach tests.
What you see and how you react says more about you than the product.

Quite a bit more at the source.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Interesting. But, what if you like both Apple and PC's?

I have a MacBook Air and a HP PC........I use both regularly, each has its own pros and cons.......

I also have the Iphone......but not because of wanting to "belong", but because I like the experience.

Finally, I have Ipads and the Kindle paperwhites. I read on both......depending on my mood and what I want to do and where I am.

I'm willing to bet there are many like me.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Then you're a rational person who understands they're just tools.

The problems only start when people start defining themselves by their toys and expecting others to live by *their* values.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
hehehe

I am sure that people would see my iPad and Kindle and be confused or assume that I really like being part of the big crowd.

I agonized over buying the iPad, I wanted to go Android for a variety of reasons, but the games that I wanted to play were only available for the iPad.

When I bought my e-reader there were two that I knew about, the Sony and the Kindle. Boyfriend, now Hubby, got me a Kindle. I have no idea why he choose the Kindle over the Sony, but he did.

And I have a Dell. I am sure that means something...
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
And I have a Dell. I am sure that means something...
LOL! As I was reading the OP I was looking around: Dell, Dell, another Dell. When the business laptop died, I told the boss I was ordering a Dell. I've been using Dells for over 12 years. I even bought my Sony T1 from Dell. It didn't even start out as brand loyalty, they just kept coming out on top in terms of price for the specs I was looking for.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

The problems only start when people start defining themselves by their toys and expecting others to live by *their* values.
Ha! Thank you. That was my point.....

I've never understood some of the irrational anti "pc/apple" rants here or on other places.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Well, either that or you will be riviled by all

About the only thing anyone will agree on is that this Laptop is not the laptop for high level business managers
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The same can be said for the Kindle/Nook/Sony wars of yester year. Of which, a shamefully must admit, I participated. Some times it takes a while to realize that what matters is that someone is happy with what they have and not proving that you have the best stuff.

I get some of the Apple angst. Apple has always had an interesting mixed rep to me. They make great products that work and have good customer support but there is an element of "cool clique" to them that rubs me the wrong way. And I really like to have devices that allow me to do what I want, with who I want, when I want.

The downside to my iPad is that I cannot play certain games with my friends on Android tablets. That annoys me. But more of the games that I like are available for Apple and not Android so I went with Apple.

I think that the more viseral reaction is the the folks who line up to buy the new product the day it is released because they have to have the latest and greatest. I know people do that with other products but my Apple friends seem to be more exuberiant in announcing their camp outs.

And a part of me is probably jealous. I would love to have enough money to buy the latest iPad on releae day every year. I know you can trade in a device and get the next one at a discounted price but it strikes me as still expensive and unnecessary because the upgrades just are not that big of a deal.

It is important to some folks to have the latest and greatest on release day. We see that here with e-readers. If folks are comfortable with spending the money on that, who am I to judge?

And then the judgmental part of me says that my K3 and PW2 are less expensive together then my iPad. I think I could actually toss in the DXG and still have three devices that are less expensive then my iPad. All spaced out n purcahse time and all have different features that made them attractive.

And I just don't get the need for a phone that does that much. And before long I am at "those crzy, wasteful nutjobs" who are buying the latest and greatest so they look cool and do they really need to be on Facebook 24/7 and yelling at kids to get off my lawn....

So I am going with product hatred is normally not all that rational and leds to yelling at small children so maybe we should all take a breath and let peope buy what they want.

I am going to make myself some more tea.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Some people just take things too personal or find a derogatory sub-text where none is intended.
Criticizing a company's management for misreading the market, missing a clear trend, or pointing out limitations in a product is not the same thing as expressing hate or insulting its users and it definitely doesn't require a fiery response.

Of course, some people just do it to get a rise out of the vulnerable.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Buy whatever coffee you want. The only reason my dad drinks coffee these days is because he's addicted. And so is the case with most people. I get that. However, I drink it as a hobby. So I am interested in all the different blends, all the different add-ons, etc. It's the whole experience, vs just buying a plain cup for $2 to get through the day.

I don't like the whole "community" thing about tech. That's just BS. Buy tech that suits you and your needs, and not because you want to bond with other users like yourself. That's like buying your friends.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I am anti-Apple and proud of it.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
By choice I would have one of everything no matter who makes it. I am against unethical business practices and exploitation but am afraid I do not adhere as strongly as I would wish to checking on these things. I've even bought non free range eggs and probably coffee that was suspect in this regard. The road to Hell....

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #13
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:

I've never understood some of the irrational anti "pc/apple" rants here or on other places.
Agreed. I've been puzzled by that myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
... Some times it takes a while to realize that what matters is that someone is happy with what they have and not proving that you have the best stuff....

...So I am going with product hatred is normally not all that rational and leds to yelling at small children so maybe we should all take a breath and let peope buy what they want.

I am going to make myself some more tea.
(Bold and italics added by me.) And again I totally agree. Having said that, DH and I are going to go see a movie matinee.

P.S. I'm not brand loyal, a couple of promotional gifts from companies is why we have the iPads. The iPhones just came because we were familiar with the Apple products because of having had the iPads. If we like the products and they're decent quality and they work, we'll continue with them. If that changes, we'll change brands.

Last edited by 49Kat; 11-19-2013 at 01:43 PM.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I've been an exclusive Linux user for 12 years. I'll bet I fit a lot of stereotypes.-)

rjb
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

My concern now is that I have sunk a good amount into apps and that does make me feel like I am tied to Apple. Then again, while more of the apps that I like are showing up on Android, I would say about 75% of them are still IOS only.

I play a fair number of the strategic based board games (Puerto Rico, Agricola, Ticket To Ride, Settlers of Catan, Dominant Species, Tikal, that type of thing). They tend to be available on IOS first/only. Heck, Small World required a kickstarter to move the game to Android after it had been out on IOS for at least a year.

At least when I buy my books, I know that the books can be liberated and moved with me. Apps, not so much.